motivation - 6 aspects of formulating motivating goals

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Do you write down your goals?

Poll ended at Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:20 pm

Yes, regularly and it helps
33%
No, never thought it would help
67%

Total votes : 3

motivation - 6 aspects of formulating motivating goals

Postby Jens Baltrusch » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:20 pm

6 aspects of formulating motivating goals

express your goal clearly and write it down

set a challenging but achievable goal

formulate your goal in a positive manner - your goal should describe something that you want to achieve, nothing that you want to avoid

make your goal measurable

your big goals should be supported by proximal goals, because this will lead to a better performance and makes you more happy and determined

You should be inspired by your personal goal and it should fit to your individual character and motivations!
Peace, love, sport and music are the greatest things on earth!
Jens Baltrusch

Postby xrodolfox » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:00 pm

How about the option, "Writing down my goals helps a lot, but I do it only occasionally"?
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby Johnstuff » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:57 pm

I dont feel that I have enough control over my performance to really be able to set goals.

For example I'd like to be able to freedive to 40m. My current best is 32m.
I could train more (although it's harder this time of year) but I can't make myself be able to dive deeper. I'll train and will most likley get new PBs next summer, I don't know if I'll get to 40m though.

I think if I set a goal it would make my activities less enjoyable as I'd feel under pressure to achieve a target.

I'd rather almost ignore the actual performance and try to focus on making the experience as enjoyable as possible.

I still feel good if I manage to improve though - Last week I managed to clear a big jump on my bike that I had been looking at for months without commiting to it.

I guess I have a good idea if I am progressing or not without having to note down exactly what I'm doing. Maybe I just keep my goals in my head and adjust them to what is realistic at the time.
"these songs of guidance never stop the violence, we need strong defiance"
Johnstuff

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness