Off season exercise thoughts?

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Off season exercise thoughts?

Postby purple_mog » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:56 am

Hey folks,

I've got a couple of events coming up (sprint tri this weekend and a 10k two weeks after that) but then its into the long dark mornings/evenings and not aiming for any events as such apart from the odd 5k CaniX, so.....

I've been following fairly structured triathlon plans which are geared around events/races and have you building to the race day. What do you do in your down seasons? Do you drop the intensity and focus on weaknesses? Do you keep the mileage up?

thoughts on a postcard please!
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

Mahatma Gandhi
purple_mog

Postby IronGirl » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:38 pm

I'm trying to think of the winter (off season haha!) in a less structured way. I think that is important for me as I need to switch off mentally a bit. I learnt the hard way in the past and ended up burning out. I would keep some intensity in, but for me it needs to be fun and not too structured.

I'm currently doing cyclocross, which definately keeps the intensity going, its fun, its totally different(so a good mental break) and its helping me to focus on my weakness of bike handling (cornering etc).
I'll keep some longer rides going, but will probably move more to Mountain biking as the roads become horrid and the weather gets worse. Better to embrace the mud!

I'm doing a half marathon on Sunday and after that I'll hit the trails and hills for running over the winter. I'll do hilly off road runs, at least one of them will be a fartleck(unstructured speed play) and one will be a longer run of 90 min to 2 hour. I'll throw in some 10 mileish multi-terrain races for fun, but will not train specifically for them, but just use them as my longer run.

My swimming came to a halt a couple of weeks ago when our local lake closed to swimmers for the winter. I hate pools. I will drag myself to a pool eventually probably just once a week to keep the swimming ticking over for winter. I should focus on my technique in this time (but pools do wind me up).

I'll also focus on my other weakness over the winter, which is my power to weight ratio. I'm just returning to triathlon after a long break. I'm a healthy weight but that's not ideal for racing! I'll be focussing on my diet to help get my body fat down and I'll also be getting a weights session in to help build power.

So in summary forget heart rate monitors, never mind the clock and have some fun in the mud!
IronGirl

Postby Dave Noisy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:40 pm

I like to mix it up a bit more.. I'm still on the bike 4 days a week, but on the other three i'm usually spending 2-3hrs at the climbing gym. =)
Dave Noisy

Postby skoptic » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:56 pm

Yeah - likewise another UK triathlete dreading the clocks going back this Sunday! Yeah generally I up mileage and down intensity .. working on a good base for next year.

I like the idea of cyclocross but haven't managed it yet... I've seen Dave's photos (although the only one's I've seen all look sunny... don't think that's gonna happen over here). How do you find it Irongirl? Is it a welcoming crowd in the UK?

Getting down the pool is a drag - but a lot easier if you join a tri club and have some banter to ease your way through the sessions. We're doing stuff like swimming in tshirts for extra drag ... quite interesting. For me I need to keep my biking up and I'm looking for inspiration too.. I'm thinking cross, mountain biking and 1 long road ride a week.

I tend to up the running mileage and go for ultras in the winter .. (not necessarily the choice for everyone) & try keep the swimming and biking ticking over. Oh .. and I'll be trying to do more duathlons early next year too to ease into the season..

But one things for sure .... there are going to be some dark and cold months ahead... so if you find anything inspirational ... let us know!!
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Postby IronGirl » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:47 pm

Skoptic: I think cyclocross is just about as much fun as you can possibly have with a bike. I'm doing cross for the first time this year and everyone involved has been extremely welcoming. I'm doing the West Midlands League and it seems to be a real family affair. It's incredibly popular. My cycling club stuggles to get a dozen riders out to do a club 10 mile time trial, where as last week there were 140 riders in my race, which was a ladies and vets mix. Would definately recommend having a go.
IronGirl

Postby skoptic » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:09 pm

Well you can't get a much better recommendation than that! Time to convert my cross bike back into its original setup, then..
skoptic
Facebook Admin

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness