too much cardio?

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

too much cardio?

Postby VegAngel » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:28 pm

Hi there!

I know this is an intense debate in general fitness forums, but I just wanted to ask about the consensus here. My trainer has me doing a lot of cardio ever day. I lift for about 30-45mins, then the first week she had me doing 30 mins. The fourth week, she bumped it up to 40 & the 6th week she will be having me do 50mins keeping my heart rate 120-150. She says this will help me keep from plateauing, but I had also read & had sucess with David Zinczenko's "Abs Diet" which recommends no more than 20 mintues of cardio 3 times a week before you start to burn muscle & become "skinny fat".

My trainer also gave me one day a week doing 3 sets of 150-200 crunches, which has ben not only nearly impossible for me, but I am starting to hear from other sources, a practice that may be a "counterproductive waste of time".

I just wanted anyone's opinion on whether I should keep doing the lengthy cardio &/or numerous crunches.

Thank you in advance!
Never, Never, NEVER give up!

http://tofutemptress.blogspot.com/?zx=dff175d5452a07d8

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... ef=profile (If you friend me please introduce yourself. I don’t friend strangers
VegAngel

Postby bronco » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:09 pm

It is impossible to say what is the right amount of cardio without knowing what is your goal with your training.

Regarding the crunches, doing several hundred reps of crunches only makes sense if you for some reason want to get good at doing lots of crunches. If the goal is to have your ab muscles grow you need to use an exercise that lets you use more resitance. If you want functional core work, there are exercises that are a lot better than crunches. So "counterproductive waste of time" is a pretty acurate description if you ask me :) .
bronco
Site Admin

Postby puppydog » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:45 pm

in general i think the whole 'burning muscle instead of fat' thing is a bit exagerrated. if your nutrition is right, the amount of muscle tissue you burn should pale in comparison to fat and carbs.

i'd rather do lots of cardio, butn away 5lbs of fat and 1oz of muscle than do some cardio, burn 1lb of fat and 0oz of muscle. (very arbitrary numbers)

but as bronco said, what are your goals?
Arf! Arf! Grrrr! Arf!
puppydog

Postby seasiren » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:07 pm

As a personal trainer, I see no problem with the program she gave you to complete. Programs are created on the clients specific needs. If you are not progressing, then bring your concerns directly to her. Be careful about unsolicited advice and information overload from other sources. Questioning your training to much, to early or tapping into other sources as truth (books or internaet articles) is a personal trainers worst frustration and can seriously hurt your progression. Give the program 100% and re-evaluate after enough time has elapsed

Good luck with your training!
seasiren

Postby VegAngel » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:52 pm

my goal is fat loss & muscle gain. I guess I just don't want to be doing so much hard discouraging work if I can get the same results in less time with intervals or something. I'll just keep at it. Thanks

P.S. The reason I wanted to research on my own is because I am a student & looking to become a personal trainer myself. There's plenty of false knowledge going around & I've never been one to blindly take whatever people tell me as the truth, so my looking into different sources was never meant as an act of disrespect towards my or anyone else's trainer. I was simply curious
Never, Never, NEVER give up!

http://tofutemptress.blogspot.com/?zx=dff175d5452a07d8

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id= ... ef=profile (If you friend me please introduce yourself. I don’t friend strangers
VegAngel

Postby seasiren » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:53 pm

[quote="VegAngel"]my goal is fat loss & muscle gain. I guess I just don't want to be doing so much hard discouraging work if I can get the same results in less time with intervals or something. I'll just keep at it. Thanks

P.S. The reason I wanted to research on my own is because I am a student & looking to become a personal trainer myself. There's plenty of false knowledge going around & I've never been one to blindly take whatever people tell me as the truth, so my looking into different sources was never meant as an act of disrespect towards my or anyone else's trainer. I was simply curious

Knowledge is power of course :) Not following blindly is very wise, in this instance I don't think you have anything to worry about. I personally don't put my clients on the plan you mentioned for your particular goals. However, I know many PTer's who do. Good luck with your PT cert! It's been quite a personally rewarding road for me. :)
seasiren

Postby Flaming Monkey » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:19 am

There is no reason to be doing hundreds of crunches.

I was going down the personal trainer route a couple years back until I realized how much false information is out there (probably 50-75% of what you read online).

The best routine I've used for gaining muscle was based off this Tim Ferriss article:

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2007/04/29/from-geek-to-freak-how-i-gained-34-lbs-of-muscle-in-4-weeks/

I don't want to say exactly that your trainer doesn't know what she's talking about...but that's what it looks like to me.
Flaming Monkey

Re: too much cardio?

Postby ultra_whippet » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:52 am

[quote="VegAngel"]
My trainer also gave me one day a week doing 3 sets of 150-200 crunches

Time to get a new trainer. I can't imagine any valid reason for giving you such a ridiculous ab workout.
ultra_whippet

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness