Fun, at home, exercise for beginners?

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Fun, at home, exercise for beginners?

Postby johnbaldy » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:42 am

Hello

My wife has decided that she wants to get fit and tone up. She is starting by walking home from work today instead of getting the bus. 8) And she has asked me to devise a little workout for her. As she's not really done any exercise for ages I want to start gently. However, I'm a little constrained by the fact that we can't go outside together because our kids will be sleeping. What's more, the forecast is for heavy rain and blowy autumnal weather. So - indoor will be best.

I was thinking of starting by giving her the same routine I do with my dumbells - but with tins of beans instead of dumbells - maybe 2 lots of ten reps per exercise (then eat the beans :D ). That's probably fine for tonight - but I think I will probably need to vary things to keep it going and maintain her interest. I was vaguely toying with the idea of watching some workout videos with her also - but I wondered if you good people had any advice on killer, fun, at home exercise?

A tall order I know.

Many thanks for any and all advice

JB
johnbaldy

Postby Herbsman » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:31 pm

yoga
Herbsman

Postby Enhydra Lutris » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:00 pm

Body weight exercises work well around the house. dips on the stairs or on a chair seat, step ups on the stairs, (all sorts of) situps, pushups, squats, lunges, etc.

If you want to make it more CV focused, to a short series of alternating exercises (say 3x(30s lunges+30s dips+30s situps) iwth some rest between sets).

Ordinary 0.5 litre pop/water bottles filled with water or sand works well as weights to begin with (Coke bottles are nicely shaped).

Depending of what she's finds fun, equipment such as a fitness ball, rubber bands etc can be well worth it and really help keep up motivation.

Oh, and if you have a garden, rope skipping is good fun and the kids can take part (if they're old enough).
They say the grass is greener on the other side
-- but have you ever flipped it over?
[quote]The Jean-Paul Sartre cookbook: "Today I made a Black Forest cake out of five pounds of cherries and a live beaver, challenging the very definition of the word cake."
Enhydra Lutris

Postby BlueRose » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:32 am

I echo the yoga. Get some of the beginner yoga dvds and a decent yoga mat.

I only stopped doing yoga at home because I have cats now, and they like to climb me while I'm trying to do poses. :lol:
BlueRose

Postby emm7 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:45 am

I had a belly dancing video that was good fun!
I recommend yoga as well.
"she was my better half and I was just a dog"
"I don't have a drinking problem except when I can't get a drink"
"No, the moon ain't romantic, it's intimidating as hell
And some guy's trying to sell me a watch"
-- Tom Waits Bad Liver and a Broken Heart
emm7

Postby Herbsman » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:31 pm

search youtube for the yogatic channel. she's a good teacher
Herbsman

Postby johnbaldy » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:24 am

Many thanks indeed for your very helpful responses.

:)

John.
johnbaldy

Postby Konstantin » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:42 am

I agree with Enhydra, simple stuff. Hindu Press ups, hindu squats, press ups on toes and knees. Leaping is also excellent. Try crouching then leaping as high as possible (mind the lights!). Burpees, crunches. Make a simple log of how much you do so you can see progress and check you're not stepping up too much.

Last year we worked on a guide for exercising with no/minimal equipment (eg in prison), if you want a copy PM me your email address. Same goes for anyone else.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Postby johnbaldy » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:38 am

Very kind. pm sent.

Thsank you

JOhn.
johnbaldy

Postby Flaming Monkey » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:45 am

Here's a file published by the US Navy and mirrored on my site. It's a pretty simple plan for improving fitness quickly.

http://seawallstudios.com/downloads/mirrors/training.html

If you do decide to give it a try, remember that you don't need to progress necessary as quickly as the file says. You don't even need to do all three parts of the program (Running, PT, Swimming). I've never done the swimming portion, for example.
Flaming Monkey

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness