Organic Athlete UK?

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Organic Athlete UK?

Postby purple_mog » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:08 am

Hey all - just wondered if anyone knew of an OA UK group or if there are any plans to start one?
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

Mahatma Gandhi
purple_mog

Postby runner » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:03 pm

there is veganrunners uk and there is vegetarian cycling and atletics club

don't see where OA can add something extra

think it would be better to work with the existing organisations unless you feel that there is no space to do your thing.

good luck!!
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby purple_mog » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:00 pm

Oh no, I wasn't thinking of starting anything as such, just that I was curious if there was any over here, particularly since they seem to cover triathletes in particular?

*wanders off to look at the vegetarian athletes thing*
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

Mahatma Gandhi
purple_mog

Postby gauze » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:55 am

messaged them before, they directed me to a link on their site for forming your own chapter. As far as I can tell, there isn't one in the UK. I haven't followed anything up.
"I've been doing a lot of running, swimming, cycling, well, I mean, you know how it is..."

-"NO. Actually I don't know, I play real sports, I'm not trying to be the best at exercising."
gauze

Postby Dave Noisy » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:37 pm

Well, the vegetarian group is a far cry from a vegan group, as far as message and principle, so i can relate to wanting to see an OA group.

I believe it comes down to starting your own chapter at this point...but maybe it'd become a success! Doesn't hurt to try. =)
Dave Noisy

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:00 pm

I seem to remember the Vegetarian Cycling and Athletic club only has one or two cycling members. It was very successful in the 'olden' days, but its pretty much non existent now.
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby fredrikw » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:29 pm

[quote="Dave Noisy"]Well, the vegetarian group is a far cry from a vegan group, as far as message and principle, so i can relate to wanting to see an OA group.

On the other hand OA isn't that sharp when it comes to getting the vegan message across either, I mean it's not exactly moving the stakes foward to dillute the crystal clear "Go Vegan" with a "Go Organic" alternative, and this after a couple of years in operation... Then it doesn't really matter what it says in some program declaration on some web page. As long as you can buy meat, eggs and milk that's labeled organic I'm not sure which is worse TBH, pushing organic or pushing (lacto-ovo) vegetarianism.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby james79 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:23 am

It's called the 'Vegetarian and Vegan Cycling and Athletic Club' so promotes vegetarianism and veganism. Vegan Runners was set up as some vegans were uncomfortable with supporting an organisation that still encourages consumption of dairy, eggs and honey. A lot of members are in both clubs though.

I agree with Fredrik though. For me the word 'Organic' has nothing to veganism.

I recommend checking out http://veganrunners.org
Don't let your outrage for injustice end where your selfishness begins
james79

Postby JP » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:16 am

could something be built around veganfitness?

As in, organic athlete seems to be mainly cyclists, or is it for all athletes (organic of course, fuck off if you are non-organic vegan :lol: )?

Then again, sports training is quite specific, which is why veganrunners seem to be such a great and thriving concept. There is a double connection between the people involved, running and veganism.
JP
Site Admin

Postby VeganGraham » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:55 pm

I ignored OA for a long time because I assumed they ate free range eggs, but not supermarket bread.
If they're vegan, why can't they just say it ?

VC&AC have got a yahoo group. I think I'm the only mountain biker on it.

As for promoting veganism via sport, you can't beat Vegan Runners.
A clear, unambiguous name written clearly on a distinctive team colour vest.
[fantasy]It would be great if there was a whole range of sports specific clothing in the same colours with "Vegan Cyclists", "Vegan Swimmers", "Vegan Weightlifters" printed on it.[/fantasy]
Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.
Angry Middle Aged Man
VeganGraham

Location: The banks of the River Severn as it meanders through the sun dappled leafy glades of Worcestershire

Postby Dave Noisy » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:36 pm

Well, OA is addressing organics as well as veganism. It also leaves it open to being attractive to non-vegans. If it were 'Vegan Athletes' or 'Vegan Cyclists', we'd certainly draw a lot less support, and shut out a lot of people.

I think it's fine.

As far as the shorts, what if they came up with 'Go Organic' shorts first? I think you're taking this phrase out of context, Fredrik. It's a vegan group, but veganism isn't the only thing it is advocating.
Dave Noisy

Postby stateofflux » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:21 pm

[quote="Dave Noisy"]Well, OA is addressing organics as well as veganism. It also leaves it open to being attractive to non-vegans. If it were 'Vegan Athletes' or 'Vegan Cyclists', we'd certainly draw a lot less support, and shut out a lot of people.

How about Vegan-Organic Athlete :wink: that'd cover all bases
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby Dave Noisy » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:10 am

[quote=".flux"][quote="Dave Noisy"]Well, OA is addressing organics as well as veganism. It also leaves it open to being attractive to non-vegans. If it were 'Vegan Athletes' or 'Vegan Cyclists', we'd certainly draw a lot less support, and shut out a lot of people.

How about Vegan-Organic Athlete :wink: that'd cover all bases

haha - yes, it would have marginally few more members than the Vegan-Organic-Raw Athlete group.

=P
Dave Noisy

Postby runner » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:39 am

I'm strickt veg(etari)an = vegan, not organic.

Most food I buy is not organic.

Think it's an American (+ canadian) thing to call your group like this.

It seams to work well though.

Whish you people good luck.

for uk I would rather call your club vegan cyclists or vegan sports / fitness,.. and where the ocasion is there work together with other groups like Vegan Runners UK.

personally I feel more for sports than fitness, as fitness is associated with gym sports where I come from.
support this wonderfull organisation:
http://www.towerhillstables.com
runner

Postby Dave Noisy » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:14 pm

It depends on your goals.

If you only want to draw in vegans, then sure, call it Vegan Cyclists.

If the goal is wider than that, then there's something to having a different name (but make sure veganism is still a central focus.)

We have members who were drawn in as omnivores, and are now very much vegan.

I seriously doubt these people would be vegan today if we were 'Vegan Cyclists', as they wouldn't have been welcomed into the club until after they already transitioned....and there wouldn't really be all that much support for them during that time. With OA, it's very different.
Dave Noisy

Next

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness