NHL-pro Georges Laraque turns vegan

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

NHL-pro Georges Laraque turns vegan

Postby Jukka » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:01 am

NHL-professional turns vegan

Ice hockey (frequently simply called hockey in countries where it is the most popular form of hockey) is the most popular professional sport in Finland, Canada and Slovakia. It is also one of the biggest sports for example in Sweden, Russia, Chech Republic and Switzerland. In United States of America it is also one of the major sports, altough only after baseball, basketball and (american) football.

The sport of hockey has not been very intresting subject of AR point of view, until this spring/summer, when one of the best known professionals of hockey announced to be a vegan and was participating an anti-fur demonstration. This player was and is Montreal Canadiens forward Georges Laraque.

Georges Laraque is not best known scoring goals or making points, but being a heavy-weight enforcer. As some of you may know, North-American hockey is known not only of players skills with the puck, but also as a intense aggressive and physical sport of tackling and even fighting. Now this is the part where Laraque has been shining for a whole decade now.
He was unanimously awarded the 'Best Fighter' award from The Hockey News in 2003. He was named the number one enforcer by Sports Illustrated in 2008.

IMHO, Laraque’s turning as a vegan and an activist is a great thing for him, hockey and animal rights. He crushes the stereotypes regarding both hockeyplayers and AR-activists.

At www.georgeslaraque.com “Big George” writes “First of all, I officially became a vegan on June 1, 2009. Even though it's quite a change in terms of nutrition, I have never felt better or so healthy in my life. Considering that I'm a professional athlete, that’s quite important, but with the help of the Montreal Vegetarian Association, and my nutritionist Anne Marie Roy, they have made the perfect meal plan for me that is free of animals and animal-products. And that part is quite crucial, when you're vegetarian, you cut down fish and meat, but when your vegan, on top of that, you eliminate all dairy products as well as everything that comes from animals. It makes sense that I feel healthier now that I’m vegan – according to the Dieticians of Canada and the American Dietetic Association, vegetarians are less prone to heart disease, certain types of cancer, diabetes and obesity than meat-eaters are.”

You can read more of his thoughts regarding animal rights at http://www.georgeslaraque.com/default.asp?mn=1.39.100

Laraque’s personal e-mail is letsrock27@hotmail.com (also visible at www.georgeslaraque.com) and you can write greetings and congratulations directly to him. Don’t expect him to answer to every inquiry, because after all, he is a busy professional athlete.

You can find many videos of his hockeyfights at YouTube. A couple of my favourites are:

Against Chris Simon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z94-qEPtiLM

Against Riley Cote http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnNwWPRH4G8

At this video Laraque scores three goals http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RnL2kF9zR4

AND you might also be intrested at “Georges Laraque battles racism to make it to the NHL, using Jackie Robinson as his inspiration.” at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbSOd5P8g2A

And you can see his career stats at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Laraque
Jukka

Postby JP » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:09 am

awesome stuff!

JP
Site Admin

Postby SpugFab » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:30 am

I think I saw this story before, but it's worth a repost. Amazing news.

Thanks for the links too. I'm not a big hockey fan (used to watch my local team in the UK though - UK's oldest hockey team FIFE FLYERS :D ) so it's good to read a bit of background.
SpugFab

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:13 pm

Fantastic news !

We should all e-mail him to congratulate him ! :lol:
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby xJimx » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:05 pm

As a BIG hockey fan this is excellent news - I made a point of emailing this story to my Dad who's also a big fan & what you might call a vegan-sceptic.

Better still that it's a big tough guy like Georges rather than some 150lb goalie like Ryan Miller :)
DYEL
xJimx

Postby The Duke » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:21 pm

[quote="SpugFab"](used to watch my local team in the UK though - UK's oldest hockey team FIFE FLYERS :D ) so it's good to read a bit of background.

Spug,

Who did they play until the second oldest time came to be?

Did they just used to turn up at Fife rink on their own? Or did they travel from place to place hoping for some opposition?

It must have been quite an event the first time they turned up somewhere and found another team actually waiting for them eh?
The Duke

Postby puppydog » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:03 pm

^ har har

even stranger is that whilst they were the only team in the UK their record was 2 wins, 5 losses, and 3 draws.

that's great - Georges is a badass.
Although I thought he played for Montreal - what's the penguins jersey all about!??!
Arf! Arf! Grrrr! Arf!
puppydog

Postby Jukka » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:16 pm

[quote="puppydog"]^ har har

even stranger is that whilst they were the only team in the UK their record was 2 wins, 5 losses, and 3 draws.

that's great - Georges is a badass.
Although I thought he played for Montreal - what's the penguins jersey all about!??!

He played for Penguins 2006-2008.

Signed for Canadiens for the season 2008-2009.

Next season begins about in a month, but getting through to Canadiens playing line-up will be hard.
Jukka

Postby SpugFab » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:26 pm

[quote="The Duke"]Who did they play until the second oldest time came to be?

Did they just used to turn up at Fife rink on their own? Or did they travel from place to place hoping for some opposition?

:D

Worth pointing out that being the oldest doesn't mean they were the first though...
SpugFab

Postby Clem Snide » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:45 pm

If anyone knows how, it would be great if there was some way to send messages of support.

I'm sure he'll get a lot of stick from macho hockey fans and internet nutjobs, so it would be good for him to get messages from some other TOUGH AS NAILS vegans.
Clem Snide

Postby JohnBarleycorn » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:21 pm

I sent an e-mail, and got a personal reply, thanking me !
I eat to nourish my compassion, not my greed

I'm the man they couldn't kill ! I cannot be destroyed with conventional weapons !

And probably the former fastest British Vegan 10, 25 and 50 mile TT rider. Probably.
JohnBarleycorn

Postby Clem Snide » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:30 pm

[quote="JohnBarleycorn"]I sent an e-mail, and got a personal reply, thanking me !

:oops: Should have read the OP...
Clem Snide

Postby Clem Snide » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:10 am

Awesome, sent a message of support and got an amusing personal reply. CRUSH SOME HEADS GEORGES!
Clem Snide

Postby JP » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:22 am

hope you guys at least mentioned that there is a thread dedicated to him on VF :D
JP
Site Admin

Postby Clem Snide » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:23 am

[quote="JP"]hope you guys at least mentioned that there is a thread dedicated to him on VF :D

Natch. :wink:
Clem Snide

Next

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness