Crossfit in Surrey

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Crossfit in Surrey

Postby chronyx » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:31 pm

I recently found out about Crossfit and it really appeals, but the two centres closest to me are 30 miles away :( (Reading and Caterham)

I e-mailed Crossfit to ask about starting a new group and received this:

To start a CrossFit Center in Surrey, we have people go through a process we call "Affiliation". This allows people to legally use the CrossFit name and advertise CrossFit classes and training. Many people start their affiliate in their garage or a small space to get started. Others start in a big building. There is a full range of options. I will paste in some links below that will take you to some pages on the web that talk about the Affiliation process and what is involved. Because you would be an International Affiliate, you will not need to have insurance.

Our Affiliate program is explained in detail on this webpage.

At the bottom you will also see our application form.

Here also is the link to our many "Frequently Asked Questions" (or FAQ):

Here is a link to Issue 35 of the CrossFit Journal This issue has a some great tips on what it means to be a successful CrossFit affiliate.

I've also provided the link to Coach Glassman's open letter to trainers about Virtuosity in the Fundamentals which speaks nicely about how and why we train the way we do.

Please note the requirement that everyone that applies for affiliation must be Level 1 certified. All of our Certifications currently being offered can be found on our home page on the right.

So does anyone live near J11 of the M25 and have Level 1 Crossfit certification?! :lol:
chronyx

Postby GrahamC » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:56 pm

Why not just start doing the Workout of the Day, as posted at the CF main site? Adapt it to suit your level of fitness and available equipment, and and off you go. That's what the winner of last week's CF Games did. That said, I always work harder at that kind of stuff when I'm with a group.

The UK functional fitness boards might also be interesting to you:
http://www.funckey.co.uk/forums/index.php?

Mountain Athlete's worth a look as well.
http://www.mtnathlete.com/
GrahamC

Postby chronyx » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:23 pm

That's it mate, I'd like to do it with people!

I enjoyed Muay Thai boxing till I got frustrated at watching people who joined after me zoom ahead in progress :lol: and I just couldn't get the hang of either trying to smash someone I like in the face, and staying calm (Which infuriated me because I'm good at it on motorbikes when things start to go wrong!)

I did have gym membership but it just felt isolated and doing stuff with weights etc ultimately gives you big muscles but I like compound exercises.
chronyx

Postby GrahamC » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:07 pm

Yeah I do know exactly what you mean Chronyx, I just couldn't find anything else to answer your question.

There is a section on the funckey.co.uk forum, linked above, for people looking for crossfitters in their area. Maybe try asking in there? Its got to be worth a try.
GrahamC

Postby chronyx » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:49 pm

That's fine mate I appreciate you taking the time to reply! :D
chronyx

Postby GrahamC » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:57 am

No worries. Good luck in your quest for intense but friendly workouts.
GrahamC

Postby chronyx » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:31 pm

:lol: Heh, cheers!
chronyx

Postby aliquis » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:25 pm

Yet another one lost to the sect =P

I to assume just doing WODs and try to get some friends to do them with / put up notes and ask for other people interested in doing them to contact you.
aliquis

Postby chronyx » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:57 pm

:lol: what sect?

I met up with some local guys from FK today.

I did a run of 200m then sets of 15-12-9:

Air squat
Push-up
Ring Pull

then a run of 200m, in a time of 12:51 which they said was good for a first go and shows promise!

Very friendly guys and I would encourage anyone local to come along if you fancy it. :D
chronyx

Postby hoffmeister » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:00 pm

It is a cult indeed but its a great cult.
hoffmeister
Reluctant Moderator

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness