Wimbledon 2009

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Wimbledon 2009

Postby Jonathan » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:56 pm

Did anyone follow it?

We watched the men's final today - Roddick desperately unlucky not to beat Federer. Really felt bad for him.

Andy Murray performed well too. Not the genius of Federer or consistancy of Roddick, so I reckon getting to the semis was a fair result.

I was entirely uninterested in the women's tennis for some reason. Just found the matches unexciting and predictable. Plus the grunting is just ridiculous.

Spug, Abi - did you make to any of the games?

Jonathan
Kathryn wrote:You're getting a hedge trimmer, I want a bubble machine. I need it for my job
User avatar
Jonathan
Active Member
 
Posts: 7869
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:59 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: Wimbledon 2009

Postby SpugFab » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:18 pm

Jonathan wrote:Spug, Abi - did you make to any of the games?

Nah man, not this year. Thought about it but work commitments and lack of gumption to queue for tickets put paid to it. Maybe next year.

Watched the men's final today. Good game, strange feeling of predictability about the result all the way through though. Felt for Roddick though like yourself.

Couple of years ago the women's game was a bit more interesting than the men's, I guess it comes and goes. A two set final seems very quick though, I think it's about time the ladies were asked to go five sets.
User avatar
SpugFab
Active Member
 
Posts: 4526
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:35 pm
Location: Frankfurt am Main

Postby Jonathan » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:54 am

I was thinking that about the women's too. Under an hour for the final is daft. If they are to demand equal prize money (which they get), then I feel that they should work an equal amount.

Jonathan
Kathryn wrote:You're getting a hedge trimmer, I want a bubble machine. I need it for my job
User avatar
Jonathan
Active Member
 
Posts: 7869
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:59 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Postby fredrikw » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:02 am

Jonathan wrote:I was thinking that about the women's too. Under an hour for the final is daft. If they are to demand equal prize money (which they get), then I feel that they should work an equal amount.


I guess pro-boxing matches that ends in a matter of seconds from the bell should just render a fiver to the winner then. ;)
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
User avatar
fredrikw
Site Admin
 
Posts: 10738
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:46 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Postby Jonathan » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:36 am

fredrikw wrote:
Jonathan wrote:I was thinking that about the women's too. Under an hour for the final is daft. If they are to demand equal prize money (which they get), then I feel that they should work an equal amount.


I guess pro-boxing matches that ends in a matter of seconds from the bell should just render a fiver to the winner then. ;)


Haha! Fair point! :lol:

I pressume that the two set rule for women was originally born out a belief that women do not have the stamina that men have. That's obviously rubbish so I reckon they should play for the same length of time. Makes for a more interesting and tactical match anyway!

Jonathan
Kathryn wrote:You're getting a hedge trimmer, I want a bubble machine. I need it for my job
User avatar
Jonathan
Active Member
 
Posts: 7869
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:59 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Postby fredrikw » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:17 am

Jonathan wrote:I pressume that the two set rule for women was originally born out a belief that women do not have the stamina that men have. That's obviously rubbish so I reckon they should play for the same length of time.

this I agree with :)
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
User avatar
fredrikw
Site Admin
 
Posts: 10738
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:46 pm
Location: Stockholm, Sweden


Return to Other Sports and General Fitness

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron