Michigan Masters State Meet!

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Michigan Masters State Meet!

Postby xrodolfox » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:39 pm

This weekend me, and swimmers I coach for Ann Arbor Masters, as competing in The Michigan Masters State Meet!

I'm so excited, and tired, and excited!

I'm swimming 7 events, plus some relays.

400IM (Friday night)
200 IM
200 Fly
100 Fly
200 Breast
100 Breast
200 Free

You can check out the psyche sheet here: http://www.michiganmasters.com/meet%20f ... 0Psych.pdf

And hopefully the results will be soon posted here: www.michiganmasters.com

Wish us luck! I'll try and have pics too!
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby bronco » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:05 am

Oh, good luck :D !
bronco
Site Admin

Postby JP » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:19 am

Good luck buddy!!!
JP
Site Admin

Postby XkillerX » Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:38 pm

i missed this announcement, i hope the comp went well and all of you had a great time!
Activists are the engineers of the soul. That's why governments lock them up.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Postby KC Masterpiece » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:28 pm

I hope it went well!

Was it a 25 or 50y pool?

Where might you or your swimmers be on the stats?
KC Masterpiece

scratching :(

Postby xrodolfox » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:24 pm

I didn't post back on this because I had a shitty meet.

Shitty not because of how I or my swimmers swam, but rather because I had to scratch the last day of swimming, when my best events were scheduled, so that I could go to the house we own and try and deal with the flooding. :(

So I missed my chance to swim the 100fly, the 200IM, and the 200breast. :angry:

I'd swam a 400IM two days earlier, and took out the 100fly in 1:01 and felt fantastic, so I was sure that I could take out a MUCH faster 100 fly this year than previously. I've not been training too hard, so my stamina hasn't been as good as previously, but my technique feels fantastic lately, so I was really excited about the shorter 100's.

Unfortunately, i had to leave. So I'll never know. Dammit.

Oh, and the pool was a 25yd pool.

I got a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd individual places in my age group for the 400IM, the 200fly, and the 100breast. I unfortunately got touched out in both the 200fly and the 100breast. Oh well. That's why I was really waiting for the 100 fly and the 200IM, which are my best events.

The results are here: http://www.michiganmasters.com/meet%20r ... res_v1.pdf
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby KC Masterpiece » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:28 pm

Well done! Sucks about scratching the events.... I presume the 200free was scratched?

What's your time range for that event?
KC Masterpiece

Postby xrodolfox » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:25 am

[quote="KC Masterpiece"]Well done! Sucks about scratching the events.... I presume the 200free was scratched?

What's your time range for that event?

Yep. The 200yd Free was scratched.
It was my worst event of the ones I signed up for, so there's no sadness in not swimming that one.

I'd love to say that I could do a 1:56, which is how fast my lane mates swam it, but I haven't properly broken 2:00 in two years :( . The 200free was just before my best event, so I was already thinking I'd scratch the 200free. I pretty much wanted to swim it to swim against my lane mates who all are freestylers. I'm the lone IM'er out of the group.

My best event was probably going to be the 100 fly. I'd already gone a 1:01 in the first part of the 200fly and I'd been holding back a lot. I'm quite sure that I'd have gone 0:57's +- 1second. I haven't felt that good in the fly in years.

My next best event would've been my 200IM. My times for the 200IM have been hovering at the 2:12's and 2:13's for years, and I was hoping that since my technique felt so strong, and in spite that I felt a bit out of shape, that I'd break 2:10. That's hoping.

Oh well.
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Michigan Masters State Meet 2010!

Postby xrodolfox » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:29 pm

This weekend was the 2010 Michigan Masters State Meet!

It was so much fun! I even got to swim a relay with a former Olympian, and just about every pool record fell. The competition was MUCH faster than ever before. Whereas 4 years ago, I might get 1st overall in one event, and top 5 for a few others, this year I had a hard time racing in the fastest heat. Things have gotten faster! Luckily, I got faster in just a few events too.

Here's some video, and some of the results:

Michigan Masters State Meet, Last Heat 200breast
(I am in the closest lane, lane8, and I get 3rd overall)

200 Medley Relay (40 and under)
Ryan Pappa, Backstroke (former Olympian for the Philippines)
Rodolfo Palma, Breaststroke (ME!)
John, Butterfly (forgot his last name, but a totally new swimmer, who was in his very first swim meet of his life!)
Jason Pacyau, Freestyle

I have some pics too, and I am scourging the interwebz for results, but they aren't up yet.

My individual races were the 400 IM, 200 Fly, 100 Fly, 200 Breast, 100 Breast, 200 IM, and 100 IM. I also swam the 200 Free Relay, and the 200 Medley Relay. I did swim 7 races, plus two relays.
I got three First Places for my AG, (400IM, 200 Fly, and 200Breast), with personal Masters bests for both 200's.
I also got a two fourths, and a fifth.
The relays got me a 1st and a 3rd.

I do not know what I got overall, but the 200breast I was 3rd overall, and the 200 Fly I was 4th overall. The rest, I just don't know yet.

It was a really good weekend. I love racing. I has just trained lightly too. I can't wait to put in more time and get even faster. Something clicked with my butterfly and my breast towards the end of the meet, and I hope I can keep it until summer season.
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Re: Michigan Masters State Meet!

Postby xrodolfox » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:25 pm

Pics of the 200yd Fly
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby xrodolfox » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:46 am

bump
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby JP » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:12 am

man of action!

looks powerful - do you do any power based gym training or just swim?

good results man, impressive! That guy on 7th lane was breathing down your neck for the most time, looks like he gassed out in the end from chasing you, or did you just manage to increase the pace till the finnish line?
JP
Site Admin

Postby xrodolfox » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:54 am

The guy who finished just after me two lanes up in a white cap is a fellow Ann Arbor Masters swimmer I coach named Andy, He's in his mid twenties, and at least 6 inches taller than me. I coach him, so I wanted him to go fast, but heck, I still wanted to go faster! He really probably would have come closer (or beat me), if he had taken out his first half of the race harder. He left too much for the end. I too, didn't realize how much energy I would have. I wasn't as tired as I had expected by the end, and had just a little in the tank left. WIth more ooomph I might've gone 0:50 faster. Oh well.

I do no leg training for swimming breast stroke. That stroke is so sensative, that I avoid doing much else doing than breast stroke kicking. The power is more from ankle flexibility, and foot pronation, rather than pure muscle strength. When I have done machine squats for breast stroke, I have found that the large increase in strength has damaged my knees due to muscle imbalance and the reality that the knees are pretty weak joints. Breast stroke is killer on the knees, so I am quite careful about it all. Just doing breaststroke kick is pretty taxing on the legs. My biking and running take care of the rest...

...however, I might change that routine. I am looking at doing more balanced and complete leg workouts. Real, non-machine squats have been really great for my running. I think that doing that exercise properly, with a strength coach or a friend to help spot, could really help a lot. I just don't have a weight lifting partner yet to try it out with. :0 If any of you come by Michigan, you have a willing subject.
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby JP » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:02 am

haha yeah :D

but hey, it does look more like explosive lifting like power cleans or snatches would build that explosive and fast extension for it and was just interested to hear if that is used among swimmers.

The distance & time sounds like much of it is anaerobic power generation, though demandingly just above the tresholds, like doing 800m runs!
JP
Site Admin

Postby xrodolfox » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:33 am

Yeah, the 200's are like 800m runs. In swimming, they are my favorite distance. Just enough around the threshold between a sprint and distance.
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Next

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness