New hiking boots

All other sports and activities not mentioned above!

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

New hiking boots

Postby r00 » Tue May 06, 2008 12:08 pm

Hey,

I bought a pair of Garmont vegan hiking boots two years ago thinking that they would do me for 4 - 5 years. Alas that was not to be and 2 years (almost to the day) after I bought them they have started to fall apart!!

I have contacted Garmont who said it was an old make of boot....basically "tough luck!".

I am looking to buy another pair of boots and was hoping that you friendly lot might be able to point me in the right direction :)

I'm willing to spend anywhere up to £150 although would obivously prefer to spend less if possible.

Thanks
r00 :wink:
r00

Postby Hiking Fox » Tue May 06, 2008 1:02 pm

That's very bad customer service from Garmont. I have a pair that I got two years ago and they seem ok. I hope I don't have your problem.

There is another brand of vegan hiking boot that is worth buying. It is called the 'GreenVee' but I'm not sure where you can get them. Try a Google search. They have been highly rated in reviews by non-vegetarian reviewers.

There was a thread on here a while ago about hiking boots that mentioned them and had a picture, I think.
Hiking Fox

Postby andyO » Thu May 08, 2008 12:34 pm

The customer service stinks r00.

I'm not saying you didn't look after your walking boots, but it's worth remembering that any boot will fall apart reasonably quickly if you don't look after it properly.

You should always clean your boots regularly with cool water or a damp cloth, especially if you've been walking in a peaty area (such as the dark peak in england). The acid in the peat will eat away at the material in the boot causing it to fall apart if you don't clean it all off/out. Also *never* dry your boots under a radiator or with any kind of heater (causes them to dry out/crack/shrink/warp), just let them dry naturally. Stuff them with newspaper if you want them to dry more quickly (the paper soaks up some of the water). What I'm saying is no matter the boot, if you want it to last you have to treat them well, if you just take them off and put them away till your next walk - they'll fall apart.

In a more helpful vain perhaps, here's the link to GreenVee:
http://www.greenvee.com/products.html
andyO

Postby r00 » Thu May 08, 2008 1:34 pm

[quote="andyO"]The customer service stinks r00.

I'm not saying you didn't look after your walking boots, but it's worth remembering that any boot will fall apart reasonably quickly if you don't look after it properly.

You should always clean your boots regularly with cool water or a damp cloth, especially if you've been walking in a peaty area (such as the dark peak in england). The acid in the peat will eat away at the material in the boot causing it to fall apart if you don't clean it all off/out. Also *never* dry your boots under a radiator or with any kind of heater (causes them to dry out/crack/shrink/warp), just let them dry naturally. Stuff them with newspaper if you want them to dry more quickly (the paper soaks up some of the water). What I'm saying is no matter the boot, if you want it to last you have to treat them well, if you just take them off and put them away till your next walk - they'll fall apart.

In a more helpful vain perhaps, here's the link to GreenVee:
http://www.greenvee.com/products.html

Hey Andy,

Thanks for the advice.
I normally just give them a quick wipe down to be honest :oops: . I will deffo take all those tips on board when I get my new pair and hopefully I will get some decent wear out of them :wink:

I think I have found a pair and I'm going to try them on this weekend
http://www.blacks.co.uk/Walking-Boots-- ... 82379.aspx
r00

Postby andyO » Thu May 08, 2008 2:49 pm

They look good r00 - hope they work for you.
andyO

Postby Hiking Fox » Sun May 11, 2008 8:47 am

Aha! Another leather-free boot to add to my drooling list...
Hiking Fox

Postby AresQui » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:58 pm

You could also have a look at these

http://www.vegetarian-shoes.co.uk/pc-41 ... black.aspx

http://www.vegetarian-shoes.co.uk/pc-36 ... black.aspx

http://www.vegetarian-shoes.co.uk/pc-36 ... brown.aspx

I used to have the predecessor of the second, which was a very good hiking boot.
AresQui

Postby Gelert » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:12 pm

Altberg is a Yorkshire based company with a good reputation, both in terms of the boots made and the service provided. I can't recommend them personally because I haven't reached the end of my boots yet.

Their website states that as well as a dedicated vegan boot range, they can veganise most of their non-vegan boots.

http://www.altberg.co.uk/Web/altbergboots.jsp

So I'd suggest nosing around altberg's site to see if there is anything that takes your fancy for general hillwalking.

If on the other hand, you need something for winter mountaineering, I recommend the AKU Spider GTX. A bit too lightweight for extreme cold, and not quite stiff enough for vertical water ice, but otherwise sound as a pound.
Gelert

Postby Hiking Fox » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:30 pm

I read a review of the Vegetarian Shoes boots that said they have cardboard midsoles, no waterproof lining, and aren't really designed for mountain conditions. I certainly don't know any veggie mountaineers who wear them.

It would be really good to hear if they have improved recently.
Hiking Fox

Postby Gelert » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:41 pm

Interesting article in a recent Trail about how many high street shops were giving bad advice on boots and boot fitting. In some cases potentially lethal advice - when one sales rep was asked when a lightweight summer hiking boot was suitable for winter mountaineering and crampons, he pretty much said hell yes.

Waterproof lining is not always the best option (once over-topped will stay soaking) but cardboard insoles for mountain boots :roll:

Online boots are a no-no. Go to a reputable shop, try them on and walk around for five minutes in hiking socks - use an incline board if they have them, and be very picky.
Gelert

Postby ninearms » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:51 pm

I've had a pair of Altberg McKinley Trek boots since pre-2000. Drove up to Richmond and got measured up, tried on a few different widths, etc. Can't remember what the turnaround time was, but was something like 4 weeks. They've done a lot of miles all over the shop in all sorts of weather and are still in top shape. When Caren broke her leg on Skiddaw in 2000 one of her boots had to be cut off, which Altberg repaired (and refurbished and resoled both boots) for something daft like £30. We also got to have ours made in black rather than rambler's brown.

“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby volksvegan » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:08 pm

The Montrail Stratos XCR is a vegan boot; waterproof, too. The women's version is very narrow in the toebox, so beware (a lot of women's boots are far too narrowly built). They aren't the greatest boots, but they worked great on a REALLY wet, windy and muddy ramble from Amberley to Arundel last March. I think there's still some mud on them from that! I'm presently using the Garmont "Nasty" - really a hiking shoe, very lightweight and great grip; I've yet to put them to the real test, just training, hill intervals, etc. Hope they don't disintgrate like yours did! Always looking for the "perfect" vegan hiking boot or shoe. Then there's my vegan "Lara Croft" boots...not great for hiking, though.
volksvegan

Postby mabli » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:54 pm

Im resurrecting this thread as its the reason I came to VF

I bought a pair of Saloman vegan boots from Blacks. Although the website says they are leather (this is a mistake and they are changing it) they are totally vegan inc glue (I emailed for confirmation). They are a bit pricey at £114 but you can haggle by saying you're in RSPCB but forgot your card and they'll give a 10% discount. When I bought just before Xmas they also gave a £20 voucher so all good.

Im only saying this because these boots are sooo very comfy. I walk miles and miles and miles and I havent had any problems, they're all cushioned inside and totally waterproof and snuggy.

http://www.blacks.co.uk/footwear/women/ ... 83307.html
mabli

Postby Rach » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:14 pm

I've got some Altbergs in Lorica- really comfortable and when the soles wear down its £30 something to replace. If you have a budget of around £150, worth considering Altbergs.
Rach

Return to Other Sports and General Fitness