"21's" for Biceps Mass...

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

"21's" for Biceps Mass...

Postby Strix » Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:20 pm

I bought something from this site, "MuscleSurf," and they send me these tips every week. Most are for building. This is not a vegan site. I thought some of you may find this interesting, I don't know :) :

21s For Biceps Mass
Bob Myhal author of the Ultimate Muscle Mass Program

Have you tried 21s yet? If you haven't, then you don't know what you're missing.

If you really want to blast your arms into new growth then 21s are what you're looking for. The technique works particularly well with biceps, but you can use it on triceps, shoulders, chest, or any other muscle for that matter.

Here's what you do. I'll use the basic standing barbell curl as an example (this happens to be my favorite exercise for 21s).

Make sure your bis are good and warmed up . . . believe me, you don't want to be doing this cold. Now take a barbell loaded with about 50% of the weight you would normally use on a heavy set of 6-8 reps. That's right, only 50%. I like to use a slightly narrower grip than shoulder width, but you can experiment.

Start curling the weight slowly, but stop when you're halfway through the motion and lower the weight. Repeat these partial reps, bringing the bar only halfway up, for a count of seven.

Now, on the seventh rep, bring the bar all the way up. Squeeze hard at the top, and begin lowering the weight. Only this time, stop lowering the weight when you're halfway down and pull it to the top again.

Be sure to squeeze your bis hard at the top of each rep.

When you've completed seven reps of these partials, immediately do seven full reps with the best form you can. Rack the weight and feel your arms explode!

To repeat: you're doing 21 total reps (thus the name 21s); 7 partial reps where you come halfway up; 7 partials where you go halfway down; and 7 full reps with excellent form.

You can repeat 2 or 3 sets in this manner. One caution here: this is an extremely intense training technique, you probably don't want to do this every time you train arms. If you do, you'll likely quickly overtrain and not make the types of gains that you should.

I use a couple of sets of 21s every two or three weeks to blast my biceps to new growth. Give them a try. You'll like what you feel and see!

--------

Adding Size & Definition to Your Shoulders

by Bob Myhal - check out his Muscle Mass Program here

The typical way to train front deltoids is to perform Front Raises (sometimes mistakenly called front laterals). These are most often done with dumbbells. The elbows are slightly bent, and the dumbbells are raised to eye level or slightly higher. Front Raises are usually done by alternating arms.

In addition to switching up your routine by performing Front Dumbbell Raises simultaneously with both arms, lifting your arms well over your head (a favorite of Dorian Yates), or by occasionally doing Front Barbell Raises, try these two variations to better isolate and attack your front delts.

With alternating Front Dumbbell Raises, instead of lifting your arm up to eye level or beyond in a straight line, lift your arm across your body so that you finish in a perpendicular line with your opposite shoulder. In other words, starting with the usual palms down grip and slightly bent elbow, lift your right arm across your body so that your right hand finishes in line with your left shoulder. Repeat with the other arm and continue alternating throughout the set.

I find this technique better isolates the front delt . . . because of this, you should see great results with moderate poundage.

Another one of my favorite techniques with Front Dumbbell Raises involves leaning slightly in the direction of the shoulder you’re training. So taking a dumbbell in your right hand, lean your body to the right about 20° or so. Maintain this position as you raise the dumbbell to eye level in front of your face. Complete a set in the 8-12 rep range with your right arm. Now do the same with your other arm while your body is leaning slightly towards the left.

This technique actually places the front deltoid itself—which when standing straight is tilted slightly inward—on a perpendicular plane with the floor. This in turn forces a more fully stressed contraction of the muscle. Give the movement a try even without a dumbbell and I think you’ll see what I mean. Add it to your training occasionally and you’ll blast your shoulders to new growth.
"The hand that signed the paper felled a city;
Five sovereign fingers taxed the breath,
Doubled the globe of dead and halved a country;
These five kings did a king to death."
-Dylan Thomas
Strix

Postby Yossarian » Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:41 pm

that sounds really good, too bad I went today, I'll try it out on friday and let you know how it goes.
Yossarian

Postby Pete » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:21 pm

This is going to sound really dull, but...

One word of warning. There are 1000's of techniques out there, so try not to include too many into your regularly planned cycle. How can you evalute what works if you are not being consistant with your training. Also, if your training is going well, why add any "intensifyers" at all? Wait until you hit a plateu, then think about trying stuff.
Both me & JP suffer from "changitus" to some extent. We really have to fight not keep changing our routines, which I still think we do too often to get the most out of some cycles & to truly evalute a really great routine from an ok one.
There is no reason why, over time, you can't try every technique under the sun, but try to split them into sensible cycles, there's no hurry as you'll be doing this for the rest of your life, so trying out things slowly will keep it interesting for years to come.

PS I've squatted earlier so I apologise for spelling etc errors as the blood is all in my legs, none left for my brain :lol:
Pete
http://www.veganbodybuilding.org
[url=http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/veganbodybuilding/]Vegan Bodybuilding List[/url]
[url=http://veganbodybuilding.blogspot.com/]Vegan Bodybuilding Blog[/url]
[url=https://www.facebook.com/groups/23353662623/]Vegan Bodybuilding Facebook[/url]
Pete

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights