Sample Workout Questions

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby billyoffspring » Tue Jun 15, 2004 4:26 am

Hmm, good to know. I thought I saw online at exrx a guy doing it with both palms facing out (away from body). So, I guess I should do mixed grip then huh? And, do I rotate which hand faces out/in or does it not matter?
billyoffspring

Postby JP » Wed Jun 16, 2004 4:49 pm

[quote="billyoffspring"]Hmm, good to know. I thought I saw online at exrx a guy doing it with both palms facing out (away from body). So, I guess I should do mixed grip then huh? And, do I rotate which hand faces out/in or does it not matter?

hmmm... i think there must be a mistunderstanding. I don't believe i've ever seen deadlifts being performed double underhand, double overhand yes, but not the other way around.

Go double overhand until your grip can't take it, then go mixed grip.That would be my advice.

I'd also make a point of rotating the grip. I'm strongest left palm overhand, right underhand, but i try to have it other way as well for balance.
JP
Site Admin

Postby wannalift » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:46 pm

the over-under grip feels really akward on my shoulders and upper back. i stick with the double overhand grip. although i also use wraps when going heavy. personally believe going raw on the bar is too tough on the hands and overrated. look no further than the worlds strongest man competition.
train hard,
david
wannalift

Postby JP » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:55 pm

[quote="daviddenton"]look no further than the worlds strongest man competition.

Even more of a reason to do deads without straps! They use straps on strongman deadlift comps only because so many of the events are grip focused so they leave deadlifts out of it. Check out the huge weights they use in farmers walks, or crucifix holds, atlas stones, train etc pulls, tyre flips are all very grip heavy.

If you look at the gym training of strongmen 9 out of 10 would never use straps. They need the grip to be inhumanely strong, nothing else will do! Straps will kill your grip man. It's a bastard to stop using them, when i did, my deadlift wen't down with 20kg/44lbs - very disheartening. Luckily it took only 4 weeks to get it up to par and i've never used straps since (that was a year ago).

Rant over from joni, active and fanatical member of the Anti-Strap League 8)
JP
Site Admin

Postby wannalift » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:59 pm

don't listen to joni. he's a paid lobbyist for the union of doctors who perform plastic surgery on the hands of the strapless :D
~david
wannalift

Postby JP » Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:15 pm

:lol: busted!
JP
Site Admin

Postby billyoffspring » Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:11 pm

Thanks for your help JP. I'll start with double overhand and go strapless. If nothing else, I'll help you keep your lobbying job by letting doctors do surgery on my hands. :D
billyoffspring

Straps

Postby VeganEssentials » Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:33 pm

I have to side with Joni on this one (does this come as any surprise? :D )

Straps are a huge hinderance to making progress in grip - many times, the pain factor starts out being the biggest thing as to why people don't want to give them up, but trust me, it'll pay off in huge reward once you get your hands used to the beating they take from lifting without them. For example, I could barely hold 225 without straps a few years back as my grip was a very weak link, and after months of work on static holds and just focusing on gripping the bar for time at heavier weights I saw my numbers take off by a great amount. Provided you aren't lifting on bars that are rough as hell with flesh-tearing knurling, you'll find that you will adapt to the roughness on your palms over time to where it won't even begin to hurt or tear off skin.

Just as I won't try to overhead press anything I can't clean to shoulder height first, I won't try to deadlift anything that I can't hold with bare hands. This method has wonders for my overall strength as it forces you to be secure in what you do, and you'll never be able to handle a weight beyond your grasp.

Unless you're squatting, think about the first part of your body that comes into contact with the bar - if your hands are the weak link, everything else will be reduced in strength!

Ryan
VeganEssentials

Postby billyoffspring » Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:17 am

That's a good point Ryan. Thanks. I'll definitely workout bare-handed.
billyoffspring

Previous

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights