Advice on weightlifting regiment

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Advice on weightlifting regiment

Postby tylerm » Fri May 21, 2004 5:57 pm

Hello, this is my first post to this board, I have been reading it for a week or so.. I am 23, been a vegan for 3 or 4 years or so, vegetarian since I was 15 or 16. I have been running regularly for the past 2 years or so, and lifting weights at a local gym as well (on and off). Only recently have I felt that I have been really gaining strength and muscle, and I think it is due to the fact that at the beginning I had no idea what I was doing. I am 6'5" and about 190lbs, which is about what I originally started at, though I have been able to notice a large change in muscle mass compared to before.

I am looking for suggestions on a weekly routine, I typically work out 4 days a week, for perhaps 20 minutes of cardio then 40 minutes or a bit more of weight training. I have just recently started getting into some of the more major weight exercises and using more free weights, such as squats, benchpresses, dips, etc. In the past I hadn't worked out my legs much, as I run often, and are in good shape. However, sometimes I get pain around my knees after running long distances, so I want to build more muscle to help support them, which I figured squats would help. Also, I want to burn more fat, as I have a couple pounds that seem impossible to get off my stomach.

Any info on a good routine with major exercises or and websites with such info would be much appreciated

thanks!
Tyler
Cleveland, Ohio
tylerm

Re: Advice on weightlifting regiment

Postby Frostfire » Sat May 22, 2004 4:54 am

Hey Tyler!

Welcome to the board! I only have a few suggestions, because I'm still learning myself :D.

I'd recommend running or doing cardio after lifting weights, not before. Also, I wouldn't lift weights more than 2 or 3 times a week, especial at the start. Your muscles need rest days, that is when they grow the most.

I'm glad to hear that you are squatting! It has helped my knees SO much! I used to run track for my college (5 years ago. . .), but had to stop due to injury and knee problems. I've been able to start running again, but only after building up some balanced muscles from squatting :D. Yay!

As for getting a routine down, I'd recommend looking at the training log section for some ideas. Everyone is different, so just find what you like and what works for you :). Also, I'm sure some other people on this board who know more will have some good suggestions :P .
http://www.ChingSanctuary.org
Frostfire

Postby wannalift » Sat May 22, 2004 1:39 pm

tyler, welcome aboard. there are plenty of different programs you can explore by navigating through this section and the training log section. may try this one, it should be a good start and excellent finish if you keep it up.
http://www.veganbodybuilder.com/trainin ... ining.html
train hard,
david
wannalift

Postby JP » Sat May 22, 2004 6:31 pm

I second the advice given above.

You are really tall! I can imagine you have trouble packing on visible mass? If you gain 10lbs and someone 6 inch shorter gains the same, visibly they are worlds apart of course.

Firstly, welcome to the board mate! Hope you'll enjoy it here.

I would not do it in a way you suggested, 4/week + cardio, but if you insist, the split i'd suggest would be something like this:

1:
Squats
Stiff legged deadlifts
Abs

2:
Bench Press
Barbell or dumbell bentover row
Bicep curls

3:
deadlifts
front squats or overhead squats

4:
Overhead presses
Pull-ups
Tricep work

Now thats a hardcore routine! (actually turned out quite different what i had in mind originally, hehee). All done 3 sets of 8 reps (3x8), good form, textbook form, all exercises done standing where applicable, like curls, shoulder pressing etc.

But ideally i'd still suggest that rather than doing the above and then some cardio in the end of the workout (always in the end!), i'd separate the two to make most of the both you know? So training for instance 3 times/week well and proper, hard work and total commitment and focus with weights, and then separate cardio days. That would, in my opinion, make you progress faster than combining the two.

My favourite routine for 3 day split would be here:
http://www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?t=218

One more tip: take an hour from somewhere and spend it reading some of the past posts on this forum, you might pick up a thing or two - i know i have!

Hope this helps mate :)
JP
Site Admin

Postby tylerm » Sun May 23, 2004 6:41 am

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, it is hard for me to gain visible bulk because of my height. I am actually just a hair under 6' 6", and used to be skinny as a rail. I am not really going for bulk, rather I would like to stay lean and just gain strength so I can lift my bodyweight no problem, do chinups easily etc

I will definately have to work up to certain exercises, for example, I am just getting to the point where I can do chinups at all, let alone 5 x 5, and am finally able to do some dips with my full body weight as opposed to 120lbs on a machine or something. That is the reason I wanted to get into doing more general weightlifting, I was doing way too much isolation type work as I wasn't sure how to proceed, and while I gained a good amount of strength, I should probably have gained more.

I will take more time to look around the site, I am glad I found it, which is through a link listed in the Vegetarian Journal, which I just picked up at the library and is a really great magazine.

I will also start trying to split my cardio/strength on different days then.. I typically would run about 1.5 miles to the gym, lift weights, then run back home or walk if I was really beat. Is it beneficial to try and get at least some cardio in the mornings, to get my metabolism up, such as maybe just a lesiurely jog or a fast walk for a mile or something?

Anyway, enough for this post, I am tired as hell and am going to get some sleep... so I can get to the gym in the morning!

Cheers
Tyler
tylerm

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights