Biceps troubleshooting

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Biceps troubleshooting

Postby Blaz » Wed May 19, 2004 7:11 am

I still don't have good-looking biceps! :evil: I have this flat 2D muscle here. I have added 15 kg of bodymass (estimate) since I started to lift weights but it seems very little of it penetrated into my arms... :(

I tried more rest; lest rest; angle changing; speed changing; I varied everything I rememebered to. I always train biceps first. No success. And I hardly ever get sore or tired biceps (I get other muscles sore!). So if anyone has a compact idea of what could work, I would be grateful. :)

Maybe a different grip would help? Is it better to have arms closer together when for example barbell curling :?: How much closer than neutral? Should I handle static exercises too :?:

Thanks for advice! Blaz
Blaz

Postby wannalift » Wed May 19, 2004 1:05 pm

nobody ever thinks heir biceps are big enough. your triceps make up 2/3 of your upper arm. focus on them. as for the biceps, try rev grip curls, or get a buddy and try a set of 100s.
train harder,
david
wannalift

Postby hannibal » Thu May 20, 2004 1:43 am

try some chinups, they're great for biceps and work the back as well. for a tuffer workout you could weight yourself down.

hannibal
hannibal

Postby JP » Thu May 20, 2004 7:52 am

deadlifts
bent-over barbell rows
chins and pull-ups

All heavy, low rep (5-6) and not to absolute failure.

:D
JP
Site Admin

Postby Pete » Tue May 25, 2004 6:38 pm

Try supinated chins (palms towards you) & dips.

Here's an old routine that Arthur Jones reckoned would add 1 inch in a month (believe that or not). It consists of 2 reps :!: :shock: :!:
This depends on you being good at doing supinated chins & dips, so if your not then take some time to get used to them (6 weeks of standard chins & dips adding weight when you can).
Now first have someone to time (you can't do this on your own) Now do one rep on the the chin up bar, but take 30 seconds to go up, pause for a second at the top, then 30 seconds to come down, I found going up an inch, pause, inch, pause etc was the best way to move.
Now move to the dip station & do one dip, 30 seconds down, 30 seconds up.
That's it :!: Do that once or twice a week for a month & (according to Mr Jones) you will get huge arms.
One note of caution. I tried this once, & only once, it was truly hard :!: At the time I could just about knock out a one arm chin (left only) & was using a fair bit of weight on my dip & it was a real killer. One month I do plan on trying it again for a full month & see if it does what's claimed, but not at the moment :oops:
Pete
http://www.veganbodybuilding.org
[url=http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/veganbodybuilding/]Vegan Bodybuilding List[/url]
[url=http://veganbodybuilding.blogspot.com/]Vegan Bodybuilding Blog[/url]
[url=https://www.facebook.com/groups/23353662623/]Vegan Bodybuilding Facebook[/url]
Pete

What are supinated chins?

Postby Blaz » Wed May 26, 2004 1:53 pm

Thank you all for your answers! I'll try your suggestions and report then. Another silly question from me, that has surely been answered 1000 times, but I couldn't find anywhere... WHAT ARE SUPINATED CHINS? i've learnt now what are chins, but supinated???

Thanks again, Blaž
Blaz

Postby funfetus » Wed May 26, 2004 2:27 pm

Supinated chins = chins using a supinated grip, i.e., with your palms facing toward you.
funfetus

Postby Blaz » Thu May 27, 2004 12:47 pm

Thanks. I get it now.
Blaz

hmmm... supinated chins

Postby tylerm » Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:50 am

what is the difference in muscle groups used when doing supinated chins or what I guess is standard chins? are one harder than the other, typically?

I ask because I have always worked on doing pullups supinated, never put much thought into my hand position... I have only really started weight lifting recently, and can only do a couple as of now.. I am interested to try them with my palms facing away and see if there is a difference

Tyler

PS When people refer to chins, this is the same as pullups, no? please excuse my stupid questions!
tylerm

Postby funfetus » Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:02 pm

I believe using a supinated grip involves the biceps more heavily. It generally seems to be easier this way.
funfetus

Postby Mary » Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:09 pm

I can only do supinated chins. Well, more to the point, I can only do a supinated chin! :lol: Okay, I am up to three, on a good day, but bloody hell! That sounds like murder...

You see, I am a weak and wobbly woman, for all my posturing on this board. :lol: Are most women shite at chins then, or is it just me?
Mary

Postby stateofflux » Thu Jun 03, 2004 3:16 pm

yeah, I can only do assisted chins. It's pretty frustrating! I only do chinning negatives these days when I train- and supinated chins are way easier for me.

R
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby funfetus » Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:34 pm

Because of how women tend to be built, yeah, chins are usually difficult for most women. Compared to men, women have a disproportionate amount of their muscle mass in their lower bodies. This means a lot more weight to pull without any more muscle to pull it with. My girlfriend can do one -- my roommate (a woman) can't do any. But I remember reading somewhere that the average college-aged male can't do a single one either, so you guys are doing okay. :D

I hear negatives are really good for increasing strength to get you a few more reps. You might want to try a "Grease-The-Groove" program, too. If you have a pullup bar around the house, just do chin, or maybe a couple negatives, every few hours, all day long. More info here: http://www.cbass.com/Synaptic.htm
funfetus

Postby Blaz » Fri Jun 04, 2004 3:09 pm

Why do I get sore shoulders when performing supinated chins? Doing them slowly moves the stress to shoulders even more.

JP: why should I not go to a absolute failure with biceps training?

Should I feel the pain in my arms after lifting or not? I don't understand why I never feel the biceps, but I feel other muscles.

The funny thing is I did increase my arms strength, but I have not gained a single arm centimetre for 3 years.

I'm going to pump them at all means :) , Blaz
Blaz

Postby JP » Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:01 pm

[quote="Blaz"]
JP: why should I not go to a absolute failure with biceps training?

it was a bit of tongue in cheek suggestion my routine :D As you see there's no direct bicep work at all - i was just suggesting that your biceps get recruited in your other training already - for some people it is enough. Even some of the pros with biggest biceps, like Ronnie Coleman, doesn't do much direct bicep work but relies on rows and pulldowns (pull-ups/chins do the same thing).

Then again some people do direct bicep work and their biceps respond to it. I think i've probably done 3 sets of direct bicep work this year :D Then again, i guess my biceps are not that big anyway...

[quote]
Should I feel the pain in my arms after lifting or not? I don't understand why I never feel the biceps, but I feel other muscles.

personally i don't think you should ever really feel pain after training, but many here disagree with me on this one.

[quote]
The funny thing is I did increase my arms strength, but I have not gained a single arm centimetre for 3 years.

then you don't have anything to lose. I am sure you have, like 99.9% of the guys at the gym, done alot of direct bicep work. Stop all of it for 2 months and lets see what happens. Do heavy deadlifts, pull ups, and row heavy, as much as you can handle in good form for 5-6 reps. Lets see how much your biceps will have grown then...

WARNING: you won't feel "pump" or "burn" or anything like that when you train like i suggested. You WILL feel fatugue, loss of strength etc. I'd be interested to know how much your biceps would grow on this kind of "holistic" approach, you might be suprised ;)
JP
Site Admin

Next

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights