Back session from hell!

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Back session from hell!

Postby Trytter » Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:17 pm

Just thought I wanted to share something with everyone.
I just experienced the most intense back session ever!
I worked back this morning so hard that I still feel sick and I´m having trouble with balance 8) .
And don´t tear down my little illusion of being THE MAN with; "perhaps there´s something seriously wrong with you since you feel sick and is having trouble walking straight"
:mrgreen:

(Ok, so maybe I´m exaggerating a wee bit)
Trytter

Re: Back session from hell!

Postby Mary » Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:14 pm

[quote="Trytter"]
And don´t tear down my little illusion of being THE MAN with; "perhaps there´s something seriously wrong with you since you feel sick and is having trouble walking straight"

You are the man. Possibly the pregnant man, but... :lol:

Good to work hard on your back anyway. I hate folks who only work on their mirror muscles. They look so lopsided, don't you think? :?
Mary

Re: Back session from hell!

Postby Trytter » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:05 pm

[quote="Mary"][quote="Trytter"]

Good to work hard on your back anyway. I hate folks who only work on their mirror muscles. They look so lopsided, don't you think? :?

Nothing like a massive back.
Excellent for functional strenght too!
Trytter

Postby funfetus » Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:57 pm

So what did you do?
funfetus

Postby Mary » Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:12 pm

[quote="funfetus"]So what did you do?

Broke something, from the sound of it!
Mary

Postby Trytter » Wed Apr 28, 2004 1:23 pm

wide grip chin ups: 6 sets
Pullovers: 4 sets
Bent over Barbell row: 4 sets
T-bar row: 4 sets
Hyperextensions: 5 sets
Dumbell row: 3 sets

And 20mins of light jogging after that..
Trytter

Postby J » Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:58 am

I've never, ever found that training hard had anything to do with results. Usually training hard just left me overtrained....
J

Postby Trytter » Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:18 am

[quote="emphryio"]I've never, ever found that training hard had anything to do with results. Usually training hard just left me overtrained....

Way to bust my bubble :lol: .
What worked for you?
I mean if training hard never gave you results, what did?
Trytter

Postby JP » Thu Apr 29, 2004 12:06 pm

trytter mate, i'm afraid i have to side with emphryio with this one :)

I used to train like you just did, and i loved the rush of it, the burns and the DOMS afterwards. My buble was bursted equally harsh from couple directions. Firstly Pete used to warn me about my high volume training, secondly my gains stopped, and i was clearly overtrained, got weaker, even sick. Thirdly, a guy who knows his stuff bluntly told me that all i was doing was chasing a useless pump and mistook a lactic acid build up (which explains your nausea feeling as well) with something useful. :lol:

hey, nothing wrong with doing a monster workout like you did there - but if you are after progression, that is muscle growth and strength gains, then it might not be the best approach in the long run. Natural trainers get overtrained, and while body gets used to the exercises the seek for that "pump" and "burn" become more and more desperate with several isolation exercises, drop sets, supersets, working past failure, negatives and so on.

These massive volume routines come from the steroid era (well some claim that the whole idea to spit workouts according to specific bodyparts came from steroid users as well) and is kept alive by mags like Flex. They work for the occasional gym user who never really progresses that much or go heavy and hard. But people who get into this game a bit more and have trained for a while (and the weights are getting heavier!) they might not be the best way to.

Sorry for the long winded opinion :) Speaking from own experience here as well, when i started training in a different way last summer i started making my best gains ever.
JP
Site Admin

Postby Trytter » Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:34 pm

Well I actually found that high volume worked alright for me in the past.
But in the original post of this thread I was talking about the intesity of the workout, it was out of this world for me...
I don´t do these long sessions year round, I vary my training alot.
I have light periods and low volume periods aswell when I feel it´s time for that. I don´t have a "set" scheme. I usually go with how my body feels..

And I´m still curious what worked for you emphryio 8)
Trytter

Postby JO » Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:47 pm

Occasional high volume is great -- sometimes the best & only way to feel ALIVE, ALIVE, ALIVE!

JO
JO

Postby funfetus » Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:02 pm

I've been making pretty good gains lately just working out twice a week, doing two sets each of 4 or 5 big, heavy exercises. Which is great, because that only takes like an hour to an hour and a half out of my whole week. Leaves plenty of time for more important things. Like figuring out Linux... Damn that stuff is hard...
funfetus

Postby J » Sat May 01, 2004 3:21 pm

Trytter,

Of course there are plenty of people stronger than me, so I don't have all the answers.

To put it very generally, multiple set workouts have never done me much good. I have had some success with multiple sets per exercise provided none of the sets are to failure. But usually only one set per exercise per workout has worked best. And I've found that workouts that leave me sore have absolutely nothing to do with getting stronger.

I discuss in more detail all the different stuff I've personally tried here:
http://veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?t=608

But you could be different from me. I've known some people to have good success from very hard workouts.

Just make sure you're not getting overtrained.
Ways to know include:

-Not sleeping as well
-Less appetite
-Just feel too hot (actually if you have a good thermometer you can take your temperature and gage this effect)
-slightly elevated heart rate upon waking in the morning
-when you eat a high protein meal your muscles don't feel pumped as a result
-and for me at least increased cravings for high fat foods and junk foods in general

And I've found that with creatine I can work out harder without getting overtrained. And also that if I gradually increase the volume of a workout I can avoid overtraining.

On the other hand I've found that a workout that leaves me overtrained will continue to leave me overtrained if I continue to do it. (My body simply would never adapt.)

But you may know what you are doing and have had different experiences than me. If so, please don't feel like I'm talking down to you.
J

Postby Trytter » Sat May 01, 2004 3:45 pm

No worries! I don´t feel like your talking down at all..
I really appreciate you taking the time to write what worked for you.
You see, I´m doing a little experimenting/reasearching about gaining muscle so every point of view and angle is most appreciated.
Trytter

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights