Lat Pulldown Vs Rows

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Lat Pulldown Vs Rows

Postby GenTDuke » Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:40 pm

I am revamping my workout, which is costing me some serious doe. I am thinking of buying a new bench with a lat pulldown but am trying to way the pros and cons of row and pulldowns.

I am thinking rows are better due to the fact they develop more functional muscle and need greater core support.

What do you guys think is better?
Last edited by GenTDuke on Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GenTDuke

Postby pandiriver » Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:39 pm

lats make you a bit wider don't they? 8)
please reveganise me =(
pandiriver

Postby GenTDuke » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:05 pm

They give you that satisfying V shape along your back and make you look wider.
GenTDuke

yes

Postby i live in omaha » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:14 pm

lat pulldowns work different muscles than rows. I would suggest doing both!
"No More just looking out for myself when the price paid is the life of something else.
No More, i won't participate." - Youth of Today
-- hello, my name is david --
i live in omaha

Postby GenTDuke » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:17 pm

But the prime mover in bent over rows and lat pulldowns is the lats, if anything more muscles are used in rows as synergysts. I suppose It would make sense to do rows and pulldowns both once a week but is it worth it.

http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGen ... erRow.html
GenTDuke

Postby funfetus » Sun Apr 25, 2004 5:32 pm

Why not just do chins instead? It's basically the same as a pulldown.
funfetus

Postby JP » Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:14 pm

My take: don't get the lat pulldown. You won't use it for long if you continue to get more and more serious about lifting and strength developement.

Olympic bar for rows and a chin bar is the best combo - and usually power racks come with a chinbar so that would be my first purchase if i had a home gym (because i'm apparently too heavy for the normal chinbars which you can place in your door frame).
JP
Site Admin

Postby wannalift » Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:03 pm

i agree with Joni. Go for a power rack with a pull up bar on it. I get a much better workout with pullups than i did with the lat pull machine. also, i believe pullups and rows give you a completely different workout. the pull ups stress the lower portion of the lats, and rows stress the upper middle of the back, around the shoulder blades. well, at least that is how my body responds to the two exercises. do them both.
~david
wannalift

Postby GenTDuke » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:03 pm

Cheers guys, I am gonna shell out 300 quid for an olimpic weights set and lat bar as well as pull out my old bench, thats what overdruafts are there for and you CANNOT economise on your health.

I can probably sell my peice of shit multigym for 80quid to get some more money.
GenTDuke

Postby pazios2002 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:39 am

a quid is about $1.42, right? I would take that to a second hand equipment shop and purchase a cage, with a chin, and most came with a lat/low row attatchment. That is if I were looking for a bruce lee kind of body. It is true that if you were looking to improve only in the weight you are moving, then you would outgrow what would be around 210lbs to 285 lbs stacks that usually came with the cages. Or the equal capacity of the plate loaded lat/row attachments (excluding that ones at the end of a bench which are only made for no more then 100lbs). I think that you are a marital artist. I do not know how much room you have, so I can not speak for you.
Thankyou and good day
pazios2002

Postby GenTDuke » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:04 pm

I want to buy a cage but they are to expensive, around 3 - 4 hundred, I wil prb get some squat stands though.
GenTDuke

Postby JP » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:19 pm

they can be expensive, but don't have to be. Here's one for 199£:
http://www.ishop.co.uk/ishop/855/shopscr1874.html
guys on this other message board who lift heavy have been happy with that one. You'll get the chinning bar as well if you are too heavy for the ones you can attach to your door frame.
JP
Site Admin

Postby pazios2002 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:39 pm

that is the other line from the manufactorer that I have (boeysolid). If you look at the bottom, back middle you can see the two bolt holes for the lat attachment. It is a good make for the money, and if you decide later to buy the lat/ low row attachment, you have the option.

so that is 199.00 lbs is multiplied by 1.42 for $282.58. right?

not bad at all. if you have the room. also a lot of the manufactorers make custom bars for about $99 that shorten the ends for confined areas. the middle is the same as any 7 foot bar. I have one and it works great.
Thankyou and good day
pazios2002

Postby Pete » Sun May 02, 2004 5:50 pm

Oh good lord, JP is Satan :!: A power rack for £199, I've got that tucked away, but my girlfriend would kill me if I bought a power rack :!: I've really wanted a full rack for ages. Maybe I could claim it was some fetish equipment :twisted:
Pete
http://www.veganbodybuilding.org
[url=http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/veganbodybuilding/]Vegan Bodybuilding List[/url]
[url=http://veganbodybuilding.blogspot.com/]Vegan Bodybuilding Blog[/url]
[url=https://www.facebook.com/groups/23353662623/]Vegan Bodybuilding Facebook[/url]
Pete

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights