help me get ripped, please!

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

help me get ripped, please!

Postby wannalift » Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:11 pm

okay, here is what i'm doing. total body twice a week with 15 min of cardio at the conclusion. i also do an extra day at the gym for core training and 30 min of cardio. also do martial arts twice a week. i eat 2900-3000 calories on a training day and 2600-2700 on a non training day. its nothing serious, i just have a couple of pounds above my hips and i don't think i have lost an ounce of fat in the last 1.5 months and if i eat less i feel like i'm damaging my muscles. also, i have to update my photos at the end of the month and i don't want to look exactly the same. i have a sore knee so i can only do stationary bike work mostly. any suggestions.
train hard,
david
wannalift

Postby Pete » Mon Apr 19, 2004 5:48 pm

I assume you're getting your EFAs as they aid in the fat burning process. Also plenty of water helps. Strength training can be modified. You could try lessening the gaps between sets as, for some, this can increase calorific burn & quite a few people have done this successfully. Also splitting your meals into more smaller portions help (go from 5 to 6 meals for example).
If you've lowered your total calorific intake you might also think about a slight increase in the % of protein (if you haven't done that already), as most people who cut tend to need higher protein intakes to hold on to their muscles.
Just one point, when you say you "don't think" you lost an ounce, how are you monitoring your fat levels? Scales, mirror, etc? The most accurate, practical way is to use calipers, sure you can't tell your exact %, but, if you do it the same way each time, you can see if you are gaining, losing, or stationary, it might be worth getting a pair if you really want to see where your fat is going (from or to).
Pete
http://www.veganbodybuilding.org
[url=http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/veganbodybuilding/]Vegan Bodybuilding List[/url]
[url=http://veganbodybuilding.blogspot.com/]Vegan Bodybuilding Blog[/url]
[url=https://www.facebook.com/groups/23353662623/]Vegan Bodybuilding Facebook[/url]
Pete

Postby Jinga » Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:56 pm

I don't know about the lifting part of the equation, but are you only doing 15 minutes of cardio total? If you have a bit of fat to burn off, its generally recommended that you go for at least 30 minutes of cardio most days of the week. Besides burning fat, it will keep your cardiovascular system healthy.

Good luck to ya.
Jinga

break on through

Postby prefab » Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:12 pm

Go green fresh and organic--avoid all processed (green drink 1-3x daily-leafy greens-raw lunches-fresh veggie juices, EFA's flax-avocado), treat refined sugar like a drug-give yourself fruit sugar before, during (sometimes hard to digest), after w/protein

do a long run/bike 45mins-1hr30mins cardio once a week,

actually increase your calorie intake a few hundred calories especially if you've been at that level for awhile (if anything this'll support the extra cardio), if you've been using supplementation like protein powders STOP! save that stuff for breaking through plateaus or do use if training twice daily--

add abs between sets at the gym-likewise do supersets,

drink half your weight in fresh water w/ a pinch o sea salt daily.

Do yourself a favor take all your fitness and go do something with it---
volunteer a day, climb a mountain, run a race--it'll give you a renewal you can't get anywhere else.

ONCE HEALED no sooner lol do interval training overall- weekly plans on anaerboic power, aerboic endurance, muscle endurance, lactate threshold/vo2max training. and seasonal plans for base, strength, speed periodization
prefab

temp solution

Postby wannalift » Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:57 pm

thanks for the advice. i believe i get enough fats in my diet. {2 servings of peanut butter daily, one serving of almonds daily, and flax seeds every other day} i'm going to try and stick to my current routine and add two days of pilates a week to the equation. if my knee was better i'd be running every morning, but i have to work around it for now. as for the cardio, i only do 15 min after my weight training because i have heard it is detremental to muscle development to do long cardio after a strength workout. i keep the 15 min intense by doing sprint intervals. cheers.
~david
wannalift

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights