Overhead squats

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Overhead squats

Postby JP » Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:04 pm

Anyone do these? Inspired by posts in other weighlifting forums i decided to give them a try. Managed all 30kg for 5 reps :lol: This movement is HARD!

here's a vid:
http://www.bsu.edu/webapps/strengthlab/ ... hsquat.mpg

I think i'll keep doing these once in a while, perhaps as a warm up for my squats and as a core strength exercise. I need a spotter though because it's very easy to fall take my word :lol:
JP
Site Admin

Postby Pete » Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:00 pm

I once lost it with 20K on the bar (but we don't talk about that :!: ), very hard to master, just spare a thought for the O-lifters out there :)
Pete
http://www.veganbodybuilding.org
[url=http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/veganbodybuilding/]Vegan Bodybuilding List[/url]
[url=http://veganbodybuilding.blogspot.com/]Vegan Bodybuilding Blog[/url]
[url=https://www.facebook.com/groups/23353662623/]Vegan Bodybuilding Facebook[/url]
Pete

Postby pazios2002 » Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:15 pm

no I havent, but i can feel my shoulders popping right now :D :D
Thankyou and good day
pazios2002

Overhead squats

Postby VeganEssentials » Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:54 pm

I've done them a few times, and they are anything but easy. I've found taht if you snatch the weight to a full squat first it is not as difficult when coming up, but doing just the full squats themselves is incredibly tough at first.

Some key points to improve on your overhead squats -

1. Learn to balance and stabilize the weight overhead with various assistance moves. Recommendations include:

- Overhead bar walks (hold the bar overhead like you completed a press, then walk with it at a clean grip width or snatch grip width.

- Overhead holds for time

- Partial overhead squats

- Full-squat snatches

2. Start VERY light, as developing form on this will be crucial to avoiding injury and making progress. Many times olympic lifting coaches will make trainees start with just a bar for a few weeks until they've mastered the movement and can then add weight. This is one of those exercises that can go from easy to disastrous in a single set.

3. Pay close attnetion to your descent. I found that this is where I lost it most times when the bar would get in front of me or too far behind. When you drop your hips and set them back it is where the challenge kicks in, and if you're a lean-forward squatter this will be tougher than ever. I squat straight down to where my butt is literally 6-8" from the floor on each rep (which probably does something to keep my max from jumping up like many high-sqatters are capable of) so this made it a bit easier for me. For those that end up doing a good morning out of their squats, they'll find this to be a lot harder to adapt to, but with time it'll work.

It is a lot like front squatting in adapting to a new technique. Same general movement, but holding the load in a different way can be a humbling experience to many once you realize it is like starting from scratch. But, you'll find that the results are well worth it!

Ryan
VeganEssentials

Postby Shinobi » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:00 am

Overhead squats are a required lift to learn for my diploma of Strength and Conditioning. When I tried them for the first time I found them hard, mainly because you feel the need to lean forward. Start off with just an empty bar, then progress to olympic barbell (20kg) then add weight when your form is 100%.
Shinobi

Postby justin » Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:15 pm

After reading many articles where numerous authors ranked the OH squat right up there with the big 3 for importance. In fact the bulgarian olympic lifting coaches will not allow an athlete to even pick up a barbell until they can do 15 reps with their bodyweight above their head. This exercise really does help to bring the body back to working as one.

I have now made these a priority to master and I have a target of putting my bodyweight above my head and puching out 15 reps.

Being short at 5ft 7", makes this exercise seem fairly natural to me and the form doesn't seem too hard, the only problem I have/had is stabilising the bar from rocking forward to backwards, I think I now have that mastered by locking my elbows and shoulders with the bar slightly behind my head, (you will see in the above link). I am now adding weight and aiming for the sky!!!
justin

Postby justin » Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:17 pm

BTW - Here is good article for all that are interested.

http://danjohn.org/overhead.html
justin

Weird!

Postby Oak » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:30 pm

I've never done this with a heavy weight but i used to do something similar as a warm up before weights as advised by york barbell systems.

I started off with the empty bar, picking it off the ground in a deep squat position and then lifting it overhead then standing up then down to starting position again.

I worked up to 15kg to use as a useful warm up. I never thought that anything like this would actually be useful for weightlifting.
What use is this exercise? Is there lots of shoulder muscle involved?

Oak :D
Oak

Re: Weird!

Postby JP » Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:26 am

[quote="Oak"]What use is this exercise? Is there lots of shoulder muscle involved?

It's a fantastic core stability exercise, teaches your body to work as a unit. It does work your shoulders as well, but at least for me it will take a while before i will be moving enough weights with this that it would make any noticable difference.
JP
Site Admin

Postby wannalift » Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:37 pm

took me a while to find this old post :lol: this is one of my new core exercises so might as well bring it back to the forefront. Dan put it to me very simply by quoting his old coach as saying "if i could just get my students to learn a proper overhead squat, they would never have any questions about form on squats and deadlifts".
anyway, this is really hard lift. i used an empty bar and only manged a few reps, one time i had 5. i did get close to perfect form, dan's critique, but i had to concentrate 100% to keep it. my back feels actually feels aligned today. this exercise is step one to my strip it all apart put back together program to get my lower back strong and straight. i feel worked over in muscles i never knew i had.
train hard,
david
wannalift

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights