Sick

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Sick

Postby seasiren » Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:49 pm

I am sick for the first time this winter. Low grade fever, and head cold. This just as I was increasing my cardio to "get over the hump". :(

Should I back off my workout? Any food recommendations? My family just got over it (one at a time) and it took them anywhere from 6-10 days each. Fever disappeared for them after 3 days.

I hate for my progress to be hindered, and and assistance would be most welcome.

Thanks!
seasiren

Postby highonlife » Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:13 pm

Hi
I would recomend rest.. give your bod a chance to deal with it. drink a lot water and eat soup!
get well soon :wink:
highonlife

Postby V VII Hero » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:07 pm

trinity roots: garlic, ginger, onions.
great immune boosters.
rest and drink plenty of water.
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Postby seasiren » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:15 pm

Anyone have a receipe for Garlic Ginger Onion Soup? j/k :D

Thank-you for the input.

So I shouldn't work out at all? Not even a little? I feel so guilty.
seasiren

Postby J » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:36 pm

If you have a fever you probably shouldn't work out. Head cold is no big deal.
J

Postby Cuguacuarana » Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:58 am

I have read that it can actually be good to do some very moderate activity when you're sick (like a walk to a very light jog). Stay away from the heavy weight workouts until you feel better though, they can lower your immune system.
Austin

"We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane." --Kurt Vonnegut, Breakfast of Champions
Cuguacuarana

Postby fredrikw » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:07 am

if you're having a fever, you shouldn't do any activity at all, not even a light jog. if you're having a virus infection and put strain on your heart you can get a heart muscle infection (don't know the proper english word for it), which in the worst case can kill you, and in the best case will force you to not do any exercise for up to 6 months.

rule of thumb: if the symptoms are below your shoulders, rest, if they are above, take it easy.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby estaphuam » Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:18 pm

"And now beside thee, bleating lamb,
I can lie down and sleep;
Or think on Him who bore thy name,
Graze after thee and weep."
estaphuam

Postby Fruitbat » Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:11 pm

Above the neck and no fever = exercise gently

Below the neck and/or fever = rest

I know it is hard - I had the flu 3 weeks ago and was housebound and going crazy (and driving housemates mental too) for 4 days. I was miserable but if you are sick there is nothing you can do about it. I was weak for 10 days after getting back to gentle exercise - so even when you can exercise take it gently and only do what your body will let you not what your head wants!
Fruitbat

Postby Blaz » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:35 pm

[quote="Fruitbat"]Above the neck and no fever = exercise gently

My routine when I have an ordinary cold (once/two years or so): when the symptoms start, I take an easy run in the nature (the location is important! : fresh air) - for me, that is in the woods - for 30 minutes or so, then go directly to bed, drinking warm beverages (herbal tea, soup) and SLEEPING. When awaking and feeling bad again, repeating procedure until I feel better. Eat plenty of garlic and drink at least 8 litres of liquids per day.

run 30 min. - drink - rest 1-2 hours (sleep) - eat garlic (soup) - REPEAT

With me, it works perfectly. I remember I got rid of all symptoms in 5 HOURS, and it started really bad (light fever, sneezing all the time, heavy sinusitis, inflamed throat). I began the routine 5 hours after the symptoms showed up (that was in the morning), and in the afternoon I was completely healthy and I remained healthy.

If anyone dares to try it and gets results, please tell me.
Blaz

Postby Quizeen » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:32 pm

[quote="Fruitbat"]I was weak for 10 days after getting back to gentle exercise - so even when you can exercise take it gently and only do what your body will let you not what your head wants!

This is very true. It's tempting to jump right back in at the same intensity, or an even greater intensity (to get over that hump you were speaking of, SeaSiren) the instant you feel better. But, that's just the sort of thing to promote injury. Just do you usual routine when you return at a slightly reduced intensity for a about a week before kicking it up. At least, that's always worked well for me.
Quizeen

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights