Arnie bodybuilding encyclopedia

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Arnie bodybuilding encyclopedia

Postby Jonathan » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:11 pm

Arnold Schwarzenegger's modern bodybuilding encyclopedia.

i bought it the other day from waterstones, and though i am no bodybuilder, i have to say it is superb. it offersreally advanced, yet accessable information. and a mountain of it-800 pages.
there are alot of pages about bio mechanics (one i liked was the exact consequences of bad form on a deadlift-i need to shape up!!) and correct form. there is alot about body building specifics, and even though it doesnt appeal to me at the moment, its very interesting.
and my hat has to go off to these guys for power and strength and endurance. an ex power lifter turned body builder called franco columbu in training sessions squatting 500lb 8 times, deadlifting 730lb and arnie benching over 400lb for 8reps. balls to that!!
plus they used to train 9 TIMES A WEEK. one day off, 6 mornings and 3 evenings. again, balls to that!!!

well worth £17.

jonathan
[quote="Kathryn"]You're getting a hedge trimmer, I want a bubble machine. I need it for my job
Jonathan

Postby PaHulkster » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:47 pm

Franco was really strong back then. I read a Frank Zane interview and he said Franco never used less than 350 on the bench, and would do his warmup sets with that. Arnold was no slouch either. I have a few pics of him benching 400, squatting 500, and deadlifting over 600. Not great numbers for somebody his weight, but impressive either way if you ask me.
PaHulkster

Postby JP » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:44 am

franco was strong no doubt, and i think his weight wasn't too high either, probably even under 200 lbs?

many bodybuilders have a powerlifting background, look at ronnie coleman for instance. Ok, his 800lbs squat with suit and wraps on, and way above parallel was not that impressive, but i think his front squats in the video Unbelievable and deadlift i believe 750lbs for 2 reps 6 weeks out from Olympia on low calorie diet, as well as his mad benching and overhead power is pretty damn impressive.
JP
Site Admin

Postby willpeavy » Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:57 pm

Wow - 9 times a week. I don't know how they do it. I was getting burned out doing 5-6 workouts a week. I'm down to 3 now and doing much better
willpeavy

Postby Jonathan » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:04 pm

i suppose its their career. but seriously, 3hours in the morning, and again in the evening. 27hours of training a week. madness.

the only way that i can think that they do it is that they do alot of isolation stuff and with a relatively low weight, so the intensity isnt total. then again, they did loads of sets to failure and even beyond.

jonathan
[quote="Kathryn"]You're getting a hedge trimmer, I want a bubble machine. I need it for my job
Jonathan

Postby J » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:49 pm

They did it with steriods. Don't try to train like them unless you take steriods. Does Arnie mention his steriod use in the book? I'm guessing, no. But he has publicly acknowledged using them but supposedly only a small amount prior to shows to help him keep more muslce while cuting.

An unauthorized biography came out a long time ago in which it was asserted that actually he was taking massive amounts throughout his training. Paying for them in the beginning by allowing gay guys to hang out with him. Arnie managed to squash this biography by threatening to never give any media outlet the time of day if they ever mentioned that book.
J

Postby Jonathan » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:53 pm

interesting stuff. in the book that i have he is very very anti steroids-dedicating about 10 pages to why you shouldnt take them. sad that he lied. i have no intention of ever training that much, its just pretty impressive, even if they were on steroids. how much can you theoretically train without adding chemicals to your system?

jonathan
Jonathan

Postby J » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:37 pm

I have never really gained any strength from doing more than one set per exercise in a workout. But in experimenting with high volume workouts I've found that I can maintain strength while getting pretty crazy in the intensity and volume. Most noteworthy was doing 6 sets to failure on the bench press 6 days a week for about a month many years ago. Unfortunately I then pulled a tricep muscle. Also I was getting really bad headaches while working out. But I think those things could have been avoided if I had eaten better. (More water, less alcohol, more caffeine, etc.)

I also tried doing 3 sets to failure everday on bench. One each in morning, afternoon, and late night. That was just shear mental hell. Although that was close to the strongest I ever got on bench, being able to do 230 for about 12 each time. It wasn't truly a multiple set workout I guess.

Last November I tried doing a whole body workout 5 days a week, three sets about to failure of each exercise. I lasted a month and gave up because I hadn't gained anything and was getting dead tired.

It is possible to lift extremely heavy things all day, every day. There are examples way beyond what I did out there. But as for actually getting stronger such stuff doesn't seem to have ever done me any good.

On the other hand I was once given a 8 day supply of an oral steriod for bells palsy. In just 8 days I reached the point where I could do an standing overhead two arm tricep extension with more weight than before I had been able to military press.
J

Postby Jonathan » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:40 pm

thats insane, it doesnt paint a pretty picture for people who want to compete and not use steroids! there are always people who are so competitive that they will sacrifice their health for success. where does that leave us drug free athletes?

how many of the top powerlifters and bodybuilders are actually drug free?

jonathan
Jonathan

Postby J » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:45 pm

I'm pretty sure Bud Jeffires. He has squatted 1000 pounds without knee wraps or a squat suit. At the bottom of this link he has a steriod challenge.
http://www.strongerman.com/

Lots of other people claim, but who really knows?

I read the first half of Jose Canseco's book. (He's was this huge baseball player over here.) He could only bench 200 for 5 reps before he started taking steriods!
J

Postby michaelhobson » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:50 pm

I don't know much about powerlifting, but zero of the top bodybuilders are drug-free. A drug-free athlete just can't compete with the steroid monsters.

There are of course top drug-free athletes. Check out this link: http://www.bnbf.co.uk/pro_team.html I would be happy with the physique of any of these guys.
michaelhobson

Postby Jonathan » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:02 pm

its a shame really, because many of the top, drug taking bodybuilders have such hideous physiques-there is just too much mass-its wrong. body building is supposed to be about the beauty of the human body but all it seems to be now is who has taken the most gear.

jonathan
Jonathan

Postby wannalift » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:24 pm

arnold was also notorious for giving other people bad advice (apparently his level of insecurity was also through the roof). okay, now i just said being not being on gear is bad advice, but if you want to win mr olypia then unfortunately, its bad advice. even in Pumping Iron he brags about misleading some of the amateurs.

J,
you're reading Canseco's book. hahaha. actaully its probably an interesting read.

~david
wannalift

Postby J » Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:03 pm

It's a very quick read. Too quick to bother buying. I'll read the other half next time I go to a chain bookstore. I loved McGuire and Canseco when they played together. Canseco says he shot McGuire in the butt cheek in the bathroom once a week back then. But he also says McGuire's rookie season (49 homers) was apparently drug free.
J

Postby JP » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:05 pm

[quote="jonathan"]body building is supposed to be about the beauty of the human body but all it seems to be now is who has taken the most gear.

i think it is just different sport mate. And it is not as simple as who takes the most gear, because then they would all take the maximum amount. The gear makes a huge difference, but guys like dexter jackson said that he doesn't need to take huge amounts of steroids because he is genetically predisposed in such way that he responds to them really well. So not only you need tpo have perfect genetics for the sport, you also have to have the good genetics for the gear :D

I don't personally understand bodybuilding very well anyway, since i don't think theres anything beautiful in a body in starvation mode, gear or no gear, but i do have respect for people who go through that careful dieting, year long hard training, focusing, sacrifices and dedication. Weird sport really :D
JP
Site Admin

Next

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights