Need help over the hump

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Need help over the hump

Postby seasiren » Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:59 am

I have been working out 6 days on 1 day off since Jan. 1. I was actually extremely fit once upon a time and want to return to the body I had (maybe even better) in '98.

I lift every other day and do cardio on the opposing days. I have not come to a stand still (almost 4 weeks) and need to figure out how to get over the hump.

I still have too much fat around the stomach, hips and theighs and am 6 punds from my goal weight. I have upped my cardio to lifting days too, and my lifting has always consisted of high reps low weight, alternating exercises to keep the heart pumping.

ANY suggestions to get the remaining fat off would be SOOO welcome!
seasiren

Postby V VII Hero » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:01 am

drink lots of water, eat 6-8 small wellbalanced meals throughout the day, cut back on some calories, and just keep at it.

goodluck mate!
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Postby seasiren » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:06 am

I have been eating 5-6 and feel like I am force feeding myself (really not hungry). I generally consume approx 1600 calories. Should I cut back more? I am 5'5 with a small-med frame.

Water, ahhh water, yes I definatly do not get enough water.
seasiren

Postby V VII Hero » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:22 am

that's about a healthy amount to consume to lose weight. never go below 1200 calories. losing weight takes time.

make sure to get that water. it will help big time.

there is no such thing as spot reduction. so if you want to lose weight around your stomach, hips, and thighs, you have to lose fat over the whole body. the only way to do that is to burn more calories daily than what you consume. so if you notice that you are at a standstill, its time to increase the aerobics/cardio. try implementing it on days you normally wouldn't, or increase the quantity of time in your sessions.

example if you normally do cardio for a half hour, increase it to an hour. or if you don't have enough time to do a session that long, try doing a half hour in the morning, and a half hour at night.
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Postby J » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:47 am

Occasionally run wind sprints.
J

Postby michaelhobson » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:56 pm

[quote="J"]Occasionally run wind sprints.

Good advice from J!

I found last summer that one long endurance activity each week helped my fat burning immensely. By long I mean over an hour and more. 3-4 hour bike rides on the weekend seemed to really accelerate things.

I was training for triathlons last summer. The swimming really seemed to help with fat loss too. I don't know if it is better than running or just the variety of activity helped keep the metabolism up.
michaelhobson

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights