adaptive lifting for bicep?

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

adaptive lifting for bicep?

Postby V VII Hero » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:02 am

I can not curl weights cause of the pinched nerve in my left arm. This makes working out my left bicep very difficult. what other exercises can I use to build up the bicep beside the standard curl?
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Postby RobertCheeke » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:31 am

Hey Hero,

Sorry to hear you can't do curls. I do a few other things to train biceps sometimes including reverse-grip pull-downs, or reverse grip pull-ups or chin-ups. Bent-over rows for back will also work biceps with a supinated grip.

Cable rows for back will also hit biceps, especially with a partially supinated grip or palms facing each other.

Most pulling exercises (back and bis) should help get the bicep trained if it's an exercise that you can do without pain.

I have a hard time doing barbell curls or EZ bar curls (pain in my arms like shin splints) so I only use dumbbells, machines, and cables for bicep training. You may be able to do some cable exercises if that kind of range of motion won't cause you any trouble.

I know some Big guys at my gym who don't really even train biceps, they just stick to heavy exercises like Deadlifts, Bent-over rows, Military Press, Bench press, etc. to train arms (bis and tris). Some don't do any little isolation exercises, just heavy compound movements and it works for them. I'm moving in that direction as well. I'm sticking to very few exercises, the ones that I think will give the best results. I still like my cables and machines every now and then so I put those in at the end of the workout when I'm training abs or calves.

Take care man, best of luck to you.

Robster
Robert Cheeke
"When your actions speak for themselves, don't interrupt."
www.myspace.com/veganbodybuilding
RobertCheeke

Postby Dave Noisy » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:19 am

hmmm..how much movement do you have? Could you simply do 80% of the curl instead of 100%?

Just a thought..
Dave Noisy

Postby tylerm » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:29 pm

I haven't done much isometric stuff myself, but perhaps that could be an option to help you build strength, don't know about size though..
tylerm

Postby sensless » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:25 pm

I didn't start doing direct bicep work until this past month. If you are working the compound movements hard enough, the arms should get enough work. Some guys I used to train with years ago called it the "Sixteen inch rule", meaning you shouldn't bother to train your arms directly until they are at least 16", to do so would just overtrain them.

Regards,

John Jr.
poop.
sensless

Postby J » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:41 pm

[quote]what other exercises can I use to build up the bicep beside the standard curl?

Squats, rows, etc. What the guys above said. Build up a 500 pound squat and 350 bench then worry about the biceps peak and that sort of thing.
J

Postby V VII Hero » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:31 pm

thanks everyone. yeh pretty much I am just sticking to big compound exercises. but I notice my right arm is growing faster then my left. so I need to keep it in check. i found that chinups dont aggravate it.
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Postby punkrockclimber » Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:40 am

If chinups work, try pullups with hands close together- the best is to hang a softball or something similar and grip that with both hands. Do them in an L-sit or add weights if you feel like it.

To isolate one arm though- try this, its a good way to train for one-arm pullups so will probably help. throw a towel over a pullup bar, and grip it with your stronger arm- put the weaker one on the bar as usual and pull up. The further down the towel your strong arm is, the bigger the focus on the weak arm.
-Sean™, freegan

H: 5' 6" BW: 115 lbs.
b: 130 lbs.
5k: 17:30
redpoint: 5.11b
flash: v4+
punkrockclimber

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights