vegan gains

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

vegan gains

Postby Lordmuppet » Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:26 pm

Anyone seem this guy on youtube? Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr2eKhGzPhN5RPVk5dd5o3g
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Re: vegan gains

Postby blinki » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:33 pm

Your link isn't working for me, says channel doesn't exist
blinki

Postby Lordmuppet » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:12 am

should work now
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby athlegan » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:21 am

I like his videos! Non-apologetic and very straight forward. As long as there's a variety of other voices for veganism, I think his type is a very good addition. Just like Hitchens and Dawkins for the atheism movement – there's something to be said for being willing to take place and show your confidence in your cause.

What's your take, Lordmuppet?
athlegan
Site Admin

Postby blinki » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:32 am

I found him interesting then he said shit like women only have children so they don't have to work and get taken care of,it's all about controlling and tricking men. He kind of lost me there
blinki

Postby Lordmuppet » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:55 pm

[quote="athlegan"]I like his videos! Non-apologetic and very straight forward. As long as there's a variety of other voices for veganism, I think his type is a very good addition. Just like Hitchens and Dawkins for the atheism movement – there's something to be said for being willing to take place and show your confidence in your cause.

What's your take, Lordmuppet?

yeah sorry for the delayed reply.

Yeah the stuff he says about nutrition is mostly okay but yeah ...

1) too close to freelee and durianrider for my liking
2) like Blinki says yeah he has this mens rights activist thing going on in the background which is a bit of an alarm bell
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby Mellos » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:37 pm

I wouldn't say men's rights or women's rights stuff is bad in general.
I don't find anything wrong with the categories he seems to fit into.
And I do like that he tries to research everything he says (though I have read that he is a cherry-picker when it comes to studies and shows a lot of "evidence" that has been disproven).
But when it comes to his mind and the way he talks about others, I can't help but despise the guy.
He openly discredits anyone with differing beliefs, entirely oblivious to the fact that the world does not revolve around his little mindset.
He also openly attacks people of different opinions, wishing them bad health, personal problems and even death (yes, he said more than once that he would like someone to die) whilst ridiculing people having serious issues to serve his own agenda.

May he be right with his cause? Possibly.
Is he a despicable human being? Definitely.
Current PBs:
210 kg SQ, 135 kg Bench, 260 kg DL

Long Term Goals:
@ 75 kg: SQ - 252,5 kg, SQ w/ Wraps - 282,5 kg, DL - 307,5 kg, Total (w/o Wraps) - 710, Total (w/ Wraps) 712,5 kg
@ 82,5 kg: SQ - 275 kg, SQ w/ Wraps - 277,5 kg, Total (w/ and w/o Wraps) - 772,5 kg

Team Insanity - The Laws of Physics are Merely a Suggestion
Mellos

Postby Lordmuppet » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:41 pm

Hi Mellos,

So yeah wanted to clarify the Men's Rights Activist stuff

So to be clear: obviously I have no problem with women's rights or men's rights.

When he appears to be a Men's Rights Activist this means more than he is just interested in rights for men.

This is what the Mens Rights Movement looks like right now http://time.com/2949435/what-i-learned- ... onference/

I believe we do need a movement for mens rights but the current one is messed up and nasty
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby loveliberate » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:47 pm

Feminism and the movement for womens rights is about seeking to right wrongs and imbalances caused by patriarchy. So why would anyone "need a movement for mens rights" - when we live in a patriarchal world where men already hold and abuse the vast majority of power and privilege?
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby Lordmuppet » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:48 pm

you're moving from

"most of the people who hold the power are men"

to

"most men hold the power"

it doesn't follow.

I agree we live in a patriarchy but it's not run by and for all men simply a rather small subset of men

(Edited to add) Add to that, to mention just one thing, that suicide is the leading cause of death in young men. Also men kill themselves at 3 times the rate of women.

[also edited to add] part of the right sort of mens movement would also encourage more men to examine the concept of masculinity and that goes hand in hand with women's rights and lgbt rights

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015 ... ghest-2001
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby loveliberate » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:10 am

That move was made far belong either of us came along, dear muppet! ;) From the top of the socioeconomic food chain to the bottom, men virtually always benefit from patriarchy. For just a few thoughts on the subject, please have a look at this: http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/05/pro ... privilege/
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby Lordmuppet » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:20 am

[quote="loveliberate"]That move was made far belong either of us came along, dear muppet! ;) From the top of the socioeconomic food chain to the bottom, men virtually always benefit from patriarchy. For just a few thoughts on the subject, please have a look at this: http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/05/pro ... privilege/

The point is that the 'move' is a logical fallacy.

Patriarchy is clearly working out really well for the 3x men that have killed themselves or the vast number of male rape victims in prison or gay men getting assaulted. The male victims of domestic violence in my city are doing just peachy too. Until about this year they literally had no services they could access and the women's service (perhaps understandably) wouldn't take them.

The fact that most men are advantaged at some point in some ways by patriarchy is entirely consistent with the fact that some of the are seriously disadvantaged by their being male at other points.

thanks for the link on feminism but i spent three years writing a Phd in the area (well that and race) including a study of female hiring in academic philosophy.

If the word 'rights' bothers you then let's just say there are male specific problems (or problems that disproportionately affect men) that deserve special attention. This is entirely consistent with advocating for the improvement of the position of women and in accepting that there are a large number of situations (pay gap and others) where men often have an unfair advantage and (the situation being zero sum) this disadvantages women.

It's also consistent with caring about other huge problems in the treatment in women across the world and in thinking that in many cases men are the problem/reason.

But yeah treating men as a homogeneous block is not a good idea.

Feel free to have the last word.
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby Andrewc » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:58 am

Vegan Gains may be unapologetic, but I found myself cringing through the few videos of his I've seen and even bothered to sit through the entirety of. I like that he IS getting the attention of these "fitness" industry idols, but I don't like HOW he is doing it. Whether he likes it or not he's going to be one of the few interactions a lot of these people have with a vegan, so why not use that time in a more positive way?

His energy and obvious confidence could be better used, but it appears he prefers to convert his channel views into dollars rather than new vegans. YouTube is the arsehole of the internet.
Andrewc

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights