working out a lot & Can't lose weight

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

working out a lot & Can't lose weight

Postby lovela5 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:28 am

Hi there. I've been vegan for the past 4 years. I'm 5'4 and I weight about 120 pounds. I started working out a lot in the past 6 months. I usually work out 5 times a week. I've been doing mostly just regular fitness classes/aerobics but in the past weeks i switched to Zumba dance classes ( 5 times a week) and once or twice a week just general work out with weights etc...
My diet is 70% raw and I dont eat much. My breakfast usually is a fruit smoothie with almond milk. For lunch I usually eat a salad and few nuts. Dinner is usually a fruit salad or maybe a sandwich. I do have 2 snacks during the day and its usually a fruit - an apple, a plum, nectarine etc.

I rarely eat any processed foods or any carbs, but for some reason I just can't lose any weight and I clearly see that I have fat on my hips, stomach and my butt.... What am I doing wrong? Am I not eating enough or I'm eating too much ? Please help :(

I just dont understand how can I be working out 5-6 times a week and not even lose ANY weight while Im almost on a raw diet...... :(
lovela5

Re: working out a lot & Can't lose weight

Postby Linnéa76 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:07 am

Hi! You're pretty light already, are you sure you should be loosing weight? If you're a female, "fat on hips, stomach and butt" kind of goes with the territory. :)
It's usually hard to loose fat if you're in the lower range of normal body fat percentage, you risk loosing muscle mass instead if you're on a calorie deficit. Doesn't really
matter if the calories come from raw or cooked food in that respect. Do you think you could focus on other goals for a while, stamina/strength or such to get
some perspective?
-Talk is cheap-
Linnéa76

Postby xrodolfox » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:06 am

ditto to Linnéa
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby hakko » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:11 pm

Also remember that muscles are heavier than fat, meaning you can get stronger and fitter, while actually gaining weight rather than the opposite. So I agree with Linnea, don't focus on weight as the overall goal, rather go for the joy of exercising, the health benefits, new acquaintances etc. That will help you keep a healthy lifestyle for a long time to come.

Now that you've started working out so much (5 times a week is a lot!), make sure to also increase your meals correspondingly. I don't know what you used to have before on a normal day, but obviously your body will need more energy now that you're so active. That's a good thing as it helps you get all the minerals, vitamins etc that you need.
hakko

Postby tal » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:27 pm

If your goal is to lose weight and this is not happening, you are eating too much.

Just because you eat mostly raw food doens't magically mean these foods have no calories.

I'd also echo what Linnéa said - do you need to still lose weight - but then you no doubt know yourself better than we do.

Also, more weight training, less zumba.
tal

Postby MH1896 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:47 pm

photos! mirrors have a funny way of showing you what you look like. it's never quite what you actually look like...
otherwise, it's all been said, except i would stock up on carbs and only carbs, and cut out fat. 80/10/10 style
MH1896

Postby silver » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:13 pm

[quote="lovela5"]
I just dont understand how can I be working out 5-6 times a week and not even lose ANY weight while Im almost on a raw diet...... :(

What sort of intensity are you working at?
It's not what you do occasionally that makes a difference, it's that which you do everyday that brings progress.

http://www.thesilverman.co.uk

Strava-https://www.strava.com/athletes/2077466
silver
User Activation Admin

Postby lovela5 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:22 pm

Yes I'm a female.

My workouts with weights ( 2 times a week ) are pretty intensive. I usually get sore after each class.
As for zumba it's also very intensive cardio workout. It's a lot of dancing and after each class I look like I just took a shower - this much sweat.

I'm really surprised why I don't see any results at all... Especially when I switched to mainly raw diet. When I was vegan I didnt refuse myself pasta or rice ... and all the vegan cookies....

Could this be related to some health issues? Hormones or something ?
lovela5

Postby MH1896 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:30 pm

are you only looking at the weight? don't you notice your body getting more tone or something? there is a difference between losing fat and losing weight. and as someone mentioned before you're really not heavy for your height...
MH1896

Postby hakko » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:55 pm

If you're worried, you could try and measure the amount of calories that you get and make sure it is enough to support your daily life and your training. I'd guess your weight is just about right though.

The person who posted in that other thread was about your length and 209 pounds - almost double your body weight. I don't think that you need to go through the same regime or keep a similar diet. Your body can do those intense zumba classes - you're in great shape!

It's always a good idea to have your levels of vitamins and minerals tested at a doctor. Vitamin B12 and D, calcium, iron, selenium come to mind.

Also accept that change takes a lot of time. Keep training and rather compare how hard your exercises were one month ago and now. Do they feel easier now? Then you're making progress.
hakko

Postby lovela5 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:25 am

[quote="hakko"]If you're worried, you could try and measure the amount of calories that you get and make sure it is enough to support your daily life and your training. I'd guess your weight is just about right though.

I also tried counting calories and I cut my calories down to 1200 on 75-90% raw foods.
but no improvements :(

[quote="MH1896"]are you only looking at the weight? don't you notice your body getting more tone or something? there is a difference between losing fat and losing weight. and as someone mentioned before you're really not heavy for your height...

I stopped looking at the scale a while ago just because I thought that I may be building some muscle, but then I didn't see ANY toning at all... I do feel good and healthy but I just cant seem to loose fat on my stomach, thighs and butt.... With that amount of cardio that I do and that amount of dancing I would expect to see at least small improvements on my thighs .... but there is nothing.....
lovela5

Postby hakko » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:14 am

The recommended calorie intake for Swedish women is 2225 for somebody who does 30 minutes walking per day as only exercise. 2500 for somebody who works out. (Of course it also varies with your length and age.) I'd try staying closer to numbers like those. A low intake is risky as your body may start breaking down muscles to keep vital systems going, reduce metabolism etc.
hakko

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights