Vegan Gym

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Vegan Gym

Postby Philippe » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:32 pm

Hello,

Would you rather train in a gym where only other vegans go, or it doesn't really matter to you?
If there was a gym nearby where you live that is own by vegans and targeting vegans exclusively, would you go there preferably?
Thanks
Philippe
Philippe

Re: Vegan Gym

Postby JP » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:35 pm

for sure i would mate.

but it would also need to be a good gym, as in fit for my training purposes, otherwise it would just be a curiosity :)

I am planning to open one of this kind of gyms myself soon ;)
JP
Site Admin

Postby kallefs » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:01 pm

I don't really talk to anybody when in the gym so I would not notice but I don't like the exclusiveness of vegans only. Sure it would be cool to in the beginning but kind of strange to tell your non-vegan pals that they can't come in.

Edit to add that if I, for example, came to a crossfit box where you had to go paleo or eat meat to be with the cool guys that would kind of suck.
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby blinki » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:51 pm

My considerations for a gym are cost, location and equipment. I couldnt care less what the person lifting next to me eats and don't really get what the apeal of a vegan gym would be.
blinki

Postby loveliberate » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:26 pm

This is already an option here in Portland: http://www.plantfitpdx.com - though I doubt that there is an actual requirement that you be vegan to participate.
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend." http://www.a-human-right.com - http://www.aware.org
loveliberate

Postby mouche » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:53 pm

I don't like the idea at all. I like to try and prove that I can train alongside, and usually out-do, non-vegans. Just the other day a fellow gym-user asked me for advice on reducing meat in her diet as she was inspired by my figure which dispelled the common myth of the pale sickly weedy vegan. I think an all-vegan gym would do more harm than good.
mouche

Postby hardcore iv » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:15 pm

There are pros and cons. We could treat it as a talent spotting gym. Vegan Institute of Sport(TM). Train the strong vegans up into beasts and then send them out to the masses and tell the weak ones to do crossfit so they can think they are beasts.
"When you are born, you are set forth to die. The fact that you live or don't live between these two dates depends solely upon your own will, opportunities and desires. The weight exerciser, of course, indicates that he chooses to live." Joseph Curtis Hise
hardcore iv

Postby kallefs » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:28 pm

[quote="hardcore iv"]There are pros and cons. We could treat it as a talent spotting gym. Vegan Institute of Sport(TM). Train the strong vegans up into beasts and then send them out to the masses and tell the weak ones to do crossfit so they can think they are beasts.

Wise words!
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby JP » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:50 pm

ah i missed the "only" bit :)

dont think only is needed, but more vegan gyms for sure! With vegan supplements, food, shakes, snack dispenser machine etc etc
JP
Site Admin

Postby Philippe » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:17 am

Mouche and HardCore IV
YOu both have points I hadn't thought before.
I have to agree with both of you.
It's nice to show "others" that we are not weaker and if we stay among vegans we simply can't spread what we believe in.
Good points
Philippe

Postby JP » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:27 pm

my gym will definitely be all vegan, as in everything sold there will be vegan. And i guess there would be a lot of vegan customers, perhaps around 10+ %, because of the encatchment area i am planning to set it up to.

one of the aims is definitely to make vegans and the people in the leftist scene stronger, fitter and bigger :D
JP
Site Admin

Postby Mellos » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:58 pm

As long as the subject doesn't pop up I don't care.
To me what matters most is equipment, environment and attitude (proximity is also a benefit).
Current PBs:
210 kg SQ, 135 kg Bench, 260 kg DL

Long Term Goals:
@ 75 kg: SQ - 252,5 kg, SQ w/ Wraps - 282,5 kg, DL - 307,5 kg, Total (w/o Wraps) - 710, Total (w/ Wraps) 712,5 kg
@ 82,5 kg: SQ - 275 kg, SQ w/ Wraps - 277,5 kg, Total (w/ and w/o Wraps) - 772,5 kg

Team Insanity - The Laws of Physics are Merely a Suggestion
Mellos

Postby thestoatyone » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:45 pm

[quote="JP"]my gym will definitely be all vegan, as in everything sold there will be vegan. And i guess there would be a lot of vegan customers, perhaps around 10+ %, because of the encatchment area i am planning to set it up to.

one of the aims is definitely to make vegans and the people in the leftist scene stronger, fitter and bigger :D

This sounds soooooo sweet!

Totally on my dream list to do (my catchment area out here would probably be me though...)
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

[quote="muchluv"]When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights