Testosterone and Growth Hormone Myth

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Testosterone and Growth Hormone Myth

Postby TarekF » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:57 am

I posted this in a welcome thread, but thought id make a topic so more could read it. I found it really interesting and against common wisdom (in weightlifting circles).

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2012-06/mu-rdb061412.php

Though im sure many don't buy into those myths to begin with, I was slightly surprised as well (after all, how could a spike in a growth hormone not have anything to do with growth of muscles?). To be fair it could be that an unnaturally high amount of these hormones could do something, but it looks somewhat unlikely.

Interesting that cortisol could play a role in muscle growth (i never had heard of the theory about cortisol inhibiting muscle growth before that).

Might be something fun to pull out if the topic comes up in the gym.
"The best climber in the world is the one having the most fun"
Alex Lowe
TarekF

Re: Testosterone and Growth Hormone Myth

Postby pseudoprometheus » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:10 am

Very interesting article, thanks for sharing TarekF. Since the findings definitely do go against conventional weightlifting wisdom, I'd like to see if future studies support them or not.
... wait, what?
pseudoprometheus

Postby Yorkshireterrier » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:43 am

Interesting, but the thing is testosterone clearly does increase muscle mass, and some bodies can only be achieved with addition to steroids..
like this: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_zQYNEfVsmZI/T ... uilder.jpg

for example I am prescribed testosterone and my muscle mass is a lot more than when I wasn't. Plus don't they prescribe HGH for people with muscle and cell growth problems? it must work for them to do that.

So I don't get it.
Yorkshireterrier

Postby firelite » Thu May 15, 2014 7:43 am

Also, a lot of transmasculine people experience significant muscle growth when they start using T, even with zero exercise. So there has to be a connection, but maybe not as straightforward as some bodybuilders think.
firelite

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights