too long routine?

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Re: too long routine?

Postby Lordmuppet » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:25 pm

[quote="Talyn"][quote]In fact, for a brief period, the rate of breakdown exceeds the rate of building. The body actually drops into a short-term wasting or catabolic state. However, taking in enough protein during the pre- and post-exercise period can offset catabolism. (Check out the Precision Nutrition guide for more on nutrition timing.)"

Looks like someone attended broscience 101.

Quick, take an expensive pre-peri-post workout supplement or teh evil catabolz will destroy your gains!

With a few exceptions, Precision Nutrition is generally a fairly reliable source not broscience imo. Yes they do push their own products at various points (as does T-nation, elitefts and pretty much everywhere that has products) but they actually don't push anything in this particular article.

Broscience as I think of it involves a non-scientific approach whereas Berandi who runs Precision Nutrition has a solid scientific education and track record of scientific publications.

All that said I shall look elsewhere to see if i can find specific evidence for the short term catabolic state idea. If you are aware of people who say otherwise I'd be interested to read that too :)

edited to add: in any case not a whole lot hangs on this so smeh either way i suppose :)
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby tal » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:37 pm

There is a stigma associated with 'catabolism' that was created by the bodybuilding industry. Chiefly to create fear, or a 'need' of which there is a product that offers a solution.

If you want to get technical, humans are forever in a constant state of either anabolism or catabolism. Of course the scales of each on a short-term basis are so insignificant it just doesn't matter.

Your muscles won't fall off if you don't have a shake 5.17 seconds after your last set.

People just have to nail the basics:
- train hard
- eat the right amount of food for your training
- ignore the minutiae that is not important

Unfortunatley, the points above don't sell products or books. So SNAFU it is.
tal

Postby Lordmuppet » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:00 pm

[quote="Talyn"]Your muscles won't fall off if you don't have a shake 5.17 seconds after your last set.

of course. I read them as talking about what was optimal rather than necessary though

Also now i think about it they do push a particular product for this elsewhere ('Surge' I think). That wouldn't really bother me except they make a big deal about how they don't have products that they push ... thing is Berandi owns the other company that makes all their recommended supplements.

So yeah there is a vested interest on this particular issue i suppose. I'll be interested to see what those who don't sell such things say hmmm
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby sergio » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:39 am

[quote="Talyn"]
- train hard

Wise words.
I accidentally replaced all of my blood with coffee.
sergio

Postby gabrielxxx » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:32 pm

[quote="Talyn"]
- train hard

This and sleep. Sleep like a baby.
gabrielxxx

Postby Goob » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:53 pm

[quote="gabrielxxx"][quote="Talyn"]
- train hard

This and sleep. Sleep like a baby.

????up every 2 hours crying for you're mommy???? :? :? :? :?

Terrible advice! :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
[quote="Mikhail Koklyaev"]Benedikt he is deadlift god , I'm only amateur
Goob

Postby DL500 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:13 pm

Regaredless of your exercise goals 2 hours is a helluva l-o-n-g time to lift.
DL500

Postby baldy » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:07 pm

[quote="DL500"]Regaredless of your exercise goals 2 hours is a helluva l-o-n-g time to lift.

Depends how much trash talking you do while you lift.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights