Lower Body Priority

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Lower Body Priority

Postby HypoKrit » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:22 pm

Hey guys, I've been reading lots about weight training trying to get some idea of how I ought to proceed. Currently I take lots of classes one of which uses free weights, low weigh, high repetitions so I'm no stranger to form but my mind's realing with all the different advise. I would like to concentrate on butt, hips and legs maybe by adding two morning weights workouts. Does anyone have any suggestions how I get started? I must admit I'm a little scared at the prospect of just going to the gym and grabbing the bar and dumbells like I know what I'm doing, but I'll give it a go!
I've devised this weekly routine:
Sunday 1000 Aerobics and 1100 BodyPump classes
Monday 0900 LowerBody Weight Training and 2000 20min HI Cardio
Tuesday 1100 Pilates class and 1900 Step Aerobics class
Wednes 1230 BodyPump class and 2000 Yoga class
Thursday Rest Day
Friday 0900 LowerBody weight training 1100 Yoga and 2000 20min HI Cardio
Saturday Rest Day

What do you think? (I'm very used to exercising a lot) I'll keep the bodypump classes and concentrate on my upper body during them.

And can anyone help me work out a weight lifing routine for my Monday and Friday mornings that will prioritise my lower body?

Thanks everyone!
HypoKrit

Postby sensless » Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:11 pm

Squat.

Regards,

John Jr.
poop.
sensless

Postby tylerm » Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:26 pm

I second sensless, squat.

Any other leg work, do it in addition to squats. Might take some practice to get the form down, but once you do they are great.

Here is a thread where squat form is dicussed at length:
http://www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.p ... ight=squat
tylerm

Postby HypoKrit » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:41 pm

Thanks guys, I'm doing lots of squats and lunges already in my free weights classes, we do 6 mins of each continously so it's quite light, I'm lifting about 17Kg with this high rep method.

I know which exercises I'd like to do and I'm good on my technique, but I was wondering what you recommended as far as weights, reps, sets, duration of session etc, if you should to cardio straight before or straight after, on another day, later the same day, I don't know!!! The various ideas out there are bewildering, so what in your opinion would work for me?

Thank you!
HypoKrit

Postby Pete » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:19 pm

Do any cardio after weights & when Senseless said said squat, he meant squat HEAVY & PROGRESSIVELY. If you want to get the best from squatting 17K isn't going to do much other than an aerobic workout. Aim at moving towards increasing the weight, for form check out http://www.infinityfitness.com/videos/exer.htm "Barbell squat" or http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Qua ... Squat.html for a look at form.
Pete
http://www.veganbodybuilding.org
[url=http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/veganbodybuilding/]Vegan Bodybuilding List[/url]
[url=http://veganbodybuilding.blogspot.com/]Vegan Bodybuilding Blog[/url]
[url=https://www.facebook.com/groups/23353662623/]Vegan Bodybuilding Facebook[/url]
Pete

Postby sensless » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:54 pm

People's bodies respond differently to the same type of training, so without knowing a lot of more specific information it is difficult to provide a solid recommendation on a training schedule.

How old are you?

What is your diet like?

Are you male or female?

How much do you weigh?

What are your specific training goals (aka why are you training and what do you hope to accomplish)?

What types of training do you enjoy most (what lifts/exercises, running, swimming, etc.)?

When you say high reps, how many repetitions is it?

Is it how ever many you can do in the six-minute time period?

If you just want generic advice let me know and I, and many others, can just dump some general information out here for you that may be useful, especially if you are beginner.

Regards,

John Jr.
poop.
sensless

Postby HypoKrit » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:28 am

Pete these links are great and Sensless, thanks for this. If you're happy to be more specific I would be tremendously grateful.

I am female, 23, 54Kg, Healthy Vegan (high fibre, lots of fruit and veg, lowish carb, typical vegan protein intakes, though I occasionally use protein drinks, I eat 1400-1900Kcal a day, I take flax and hemp oil regularly and supplement with B12 and Iodine, I use a lot of Soya milk and tofu, I eat fruit all morning, a raw lunch then 3-4 meals vegetable based or protein shakes, nuts and seeds, I try not to eat after 7pm). I'm in really good health and consider myself to be fit but lacking in strength.

My goal is to decrease body fat whilst toning and hardening my muscles, I'm typically pear-shaped so I'm a whippet from the waist up and my flab is sitting on my hips, butt and thigh. It's not much fat to get rid of I reckon if I could shift 5lb of fat I'd be elated!

I enjoy running and power-walking, aerobics classes, pilates and yoga and I really enjoy using free weights and the gym weights machines too, I don't like cycling or swimming. I'm happy to work out alone and in classes though I would be very nervous about grabbing the bar in the gym and just squatting, but I imagine if you can help me to know exactly what I would be doing I'll be fine. As I say my technique's pretty good, I've studied it a lot. The 6min high rep is a class, we do a mixture of moves to music so it will be 2, 3 or 4 sec squats, mixed with half squats and its continuous, you're right it does have an aerobic effect. I've never counted the reps but I estimate it to be in the region of 50-70reps. Though I have had good response and toned really well to this already, I guess I really want to up the stakes in the fat burning department and become a lean, fat-burning machine! So i'm interested in lifting heavier weights and doing more high intensity aerobic exercise for short bursts, because I really like the logic of burning fat without compromising muscle loss through prolonged aerobic sessions.

And thanks for the link to the previous squatting thread, very informative.

You guys are great

:lol:
HypoKrit

Postby Dave Noisy » Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:49 am

Heya - from what i've read, if you specifically want to lose some body fat, the best thing to do is watch the aerobic 'zone' you're in.

Depending on how hard you're working out, you'll burn a combo of carbs and fats (and a small amount of protein, typically less than 5% of your energy will come from burning protein.)

If you're heart rate (HR) is in the lower zone (35-60% of max) you'll be burning mostly fat. If your HR is over 60% of your max, then you're going to be burning more carbs (it takes too long for your body to utilize fat and sustain the effort.)

So, according to what i've read, keeping your HR 35-50% of your max will burn the most fat. Kinda weird since it's a lower intensity, and you'll be burning less calories...but at least you'll know the ones you're using.

Typically, as you burn off fat, you'll look more 'toned' no matter what, since most of us are somewhat toned, but got too much body fat covering it up!

Hope this is helpful! =)
[quote="fredrikw"]yeah yeah, you just want to hear me saying you were right, right?

Image "Live life like you're gonna die...because you are." - William Shatner, You'll Have Time/ Has Been
Dave Noisy

Postby Dianski » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:34 pm

Squat with heavier weights.
I squat about 135lbs for 3 sets of 15 ish.
Other good t hings to add are

Straight leg dead lifts
Maybe a few lunges
Some people like inner leg and outer leg stuff, but I never got results from that.

I'm all of 125 lbs and a size 6. I'm also a famous pear shape. Don't I've never uped a size from lifting heavier weights even though people have warned me of that.

Oh yea! Don't forget to eat. I really like oatmeal if you are trying to lose weight - it kicks my sugar cravings and helps me keep a reasonable 2200 calories a day.

And don't forget to rest!
Dianski

Postby HypoKrit » Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:53 am

Dianski, this is great advise and you sharing your stats has really built my confidence, I'm ready to give it a try when my gym reopens after the Christmas break. One thing though, how do you get such heavy weights onto shoulders to squat? I don't think my gym has a frame.

What is your weekly routine, do you just squat or do you do other weights, cardio or stretching?

Merry Chritmas! :D
HypoKrit

Postby Mary » Sat Dec 25, 2004 12:39 pm

If you don't have a smith machine or proper squat rack, you will need a spotter to help you lift dumbells to your shoulders, at least eventually. In the mean time, squat really slowly to increase the amount of work you are doing. Or start your squat from the bottom and push up. (Much harder work!) When I have done dumbell squats I have rested the dumbells one on each shoulder, and gone from bottom up.

Hmm. I would advise you to meet up with Fruitbat to be honest! If you can actually meet up with someone and talk to them about things, they will be in a better position to help. You have that vegan café restaurant in Wales that you could have a good natter at.

Squats help tremendously, I don't think I have much fat left on my legs and bum. But you will need someone sympathetic to get you started. Maybe another gym would be easier? Or maybe you could go get started with another vegan female to get rid of the nerves. Hence my suggestion of Fruitbat as someone to talk to.

Another thing to remember though is, only do it if you enjoy it. Best thing about squats though is, from a female point of view, they seem to stop period pains, if you do them regularly through the month. However, do not attempt when you are on! :oops: And never in tight pants...
Mary

Postby HypoKrit » Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:46 pm

Thanks Mary,

I can't really change gyms because I use my Local Authority gym which I joined when I was a student so I got the concessionary rate and they've never checked that I'm no longer in full-time education. I know it's naughty but I'm on a really low income so I couldn't afford normal rates there or anywhere else.

I shall ask around in my gym though and see if there's anyone who can help me.

I think I freaked Fruitbat out too much for her to come and meet me! But that said, even though Wales is very small, where she is is pretty inaccessible to me, it is quicker for me to go to London for example.

You mentioned that you've got rid of almost of the fat on your lower body, is this just by squating, what else do you do? What has been your routine?

I'm sure I'll really enjoy it and I can't "weight" (groan) to get started!!!

Thanks for you advice about menstruation - very amusing!
HypoKrit

Postby Dianski » Sun Dec 26, 2004 1:08 pm

I haven't really gotten around to posting my routine - chatting is more fun

Basically for the last 5 months when I wanted to regain a bit of ground on my upper.
1 day chest and sholders
1 day back
1 day arms
1 day legs
1 day rest
2 sets of abs after everyone
Yoga as needed

And 2 times a year 1 week rest from weights.

I don't fit a normal week schedule - Mondays are not the same every week. Also I'm tired when I'm done but not dead. I also change some of the excercises when I start to get boared. I have free weights at home and a good rack and bench which fits my needs well.

If you don't have a good rack available at the gym you could use a smith machine. I don't like them as much, but they will still keep you safe. Better to be safe then broken.

Cardio - not too high on my list - DDR and walking in the winter. Summer is crazy amounts of cardio with biking, blading, running, walking and swimming.

Mary is right- having a partner is a great way to get on a track. They are also great for gossip and support!

Also very important to set some goals for yourself and then make a plan to get to where you want to be. My goal is functional stuff - if I can't do something that I want to because I'm not strong enough then I need to work harder or wonder why I'm trying to do something that is seriously out of my reach.

It takes a some really serious effort to put on serious muscle -lurk in some of the older posts. If you start to get a little too beefy for your personal wants then change the schedule a bit. I personlly don't put on a lot of muscle even though I lift kinda heavy weights.
Dianski

Postby HypoKrit » Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:52 pm

Thanks for your posts everyone.

What does anyone think of JP's 5x5 suggestion for beginners because I'm a girl, I won't bulk up will I?

Also Dianski are you a girl or a boy? You aren't doind any lower body wight lifting at present then?
HypoKrit

Postby stateofflux » Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:57 pm

hypokrit, I used to do the 5x5 and I never bulked up.
stateofflux
Site Admin

Next

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights