StrongLifts 5x5

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Re: StrongLifts 5x5

Postby Gulliver » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:05 pm

I'm starting Stronglifts again. I've tried it before but my heart just wasn't in it and I think I lost interest on day 3.

I'm having a bit of a problem with my gym lacking barbells above 50kg and only having the tens and fives, not going up in 2.5kg steps like it assumes. Obviously, lots of the exercises can be modified to use dumbbells, but they only have them in 2 kilo steps... so there's a lot of "near enough" work being done. It's the only one in town and is quite a nice gym generally.

At the moment I'm doing five reps at 14 14 16 16 16 (kilos) for the in-between steps, following 5x5x14kg and followed by 5x5x16kg the next session for the (dumbbell) overhead press. Does that sound like a sensible modification?
Herbivorous Rex - Higher-protein vegan recipes with bad food photography.
Use the code MP135271 to get 5% off at MyProtein (including rice, pea, hemp and soya protein)!
Gulliver

Postby Lordmuppet » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:58 pm

Gulliver wrote:I'm starting Stronglifts again. I've tried it before but my heart just wasn't in it and I think I lost interest on day 3.

I'm having a bit of a problem with my gym lacking barbells above 50kg and only having the tens and fives, not going up in 2.5kg steps like it assumes. Obviously, lots of the exercises can be modified to use dumbbells, but they only have them in 2 kilo steps... so there's a lot of "near enough" work being done. It's the only one in town and is quite a nice gym generally.

At the moment I'm doing five reps at 14 14 16 16 16 (kilos) for the in-between steps, following 5x5x14kg and followed by 5x5x16kg the next session for the (dumbbell) overhead press. Does that sound like a sensible modification?

2kg steps are fine :D and yeah nothing wrong with dumbbells, though maybe hard to squat with other than goblet squat
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby Gulliver » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:33 pm

I had to look up what a goblet squat was, but that is useful to know, cheers!
Use the code MP135271 to get 5% off at MyProtein (including rice, pea, hemp and soya protein)!
Gulliver

Postby Talyn » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:35 pm

You could also just buy some 2.5kg and 1.25kg plates and bring them to your gym to use yourself...
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby Gulliver » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:10 pm

Talyn wrote:You could also just buy some 2.5kg and 1.25kg plates and bring them to your gym to use yourself...
The barbells are moulded things without interchangeable plates and I have no money.

I'll use dumbbells and barbells in conjunction, depending on which weight is most appropriate. This will also add a bit of variety into the workouts.

Cheers
Gulliver

Previous

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights