Couple of Q's

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Couple of Q's

Postby Catt Queen » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:19 pm

Is it OK to do aquats and deads every workout if training every other day? Obviously other things as well, but always these two.

What's the best rest between sets when training for strength? I'm currently not resting between sets (because I find I lose focus if I do) and seem to be doing OK, but am wondering if this may go against me longterm.
Catt Queen

Re: Couple of Q's

Postby kallefs » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:20 pm

I really should not be giving advice about this but are the weights heavy enough? If you can do all the reps without a rest between it seems like your not tired enough.
Dum di dum!
kallefs

Postby Catt Queen » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:32 pm

I don't do set after set of the same exercise but alternate different exercises. Yesterday's (leg day) was -

KB squats x 10
Sandbag deadlift x 10
KB squats x 10
Sandbag deadlift x 10
KB squats x 10
Sandbag deadlift x 10

At this point my legs were starting to feel seriously tired so I did some upper body work -

DB curl x 10
KB tricep extension x 10

Before another -

KB squats x 10
Sandbag deadlift x 10
KB squats x 10
Sandbag deadlift x 10
KB squats x 10
Sandbag deadlift x 10
Catt Queen

Postby baldy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:33 am

Squats and deadlifts with sandbag and KBs are fine to do on the same day. It's only when you start getting heavy and near your 1RM that you need to worrying about doing them on the same day.

For strength you want enough rest between sets so that you are recovered and can give your next set your all, anything from 30 seconds to 5 minutes depending on how tough the previous set was. If you are currently not resting between sets then the weight is too light :)
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights