Which weighted vest?

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Which weighted vest?

Postby muchluv » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:19 pm

At the moment, I have it narrowed down to the 18kg from Newitts 'XLR8'. Or Maxivest 30kg. 63.17 for the Newitts + post and packaging. Maxivest 30kg is like 114.

It's for bodyweight exercises and needs to be comfortable and hard wearing. Does anyone have any experience with these vests? Or can reccomend another?
Although the effeminate nature of my username may suggest otherwise, my gender actually falls into the male category.
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor

Re: Which weighted vest?

Postby thestoatyone » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:15 pm

Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby muchluv » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:40 pm

Thanks mate that's really helpful, may go with that one.

Here are my thoughts:

Pros:

- I would like to buy from Buzz obviously.
- That's a really good price. Newitts is doing free delivery so it'd be about 3 pounds cheaper than Newitts.
- 20kg is a good weight, I wouldn't want to pay an extra 70 just for an extra 10kg for the Maxivest.
- The area over the shoulders are big compared to the Newitts one, so better weight distribution, so may be more comfortable.
- Weight is more evenly distributed.

Cons:
- Has belts which took me a while to see, so it should be ok but a bit worried about it not being snug enough.
- Have seen a few people that have said their vests have torn and that looks like it is the kind of material that would possibly tear, but can't see all that well in the picture.
- Shoulders look big enough that they might hang over and irritate, or impede
Although the effeminate nature of my username may suggest otherwise, my gender actually falls into the male category.
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor

Postby thestoatyone » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:44 am

Fair enough. Might the big man himself care to comment on those points?

I'm not really doing anything that needs a weights vest myself but I was thinking of getting one at some point in the future, so I'd be interested in what you find...

My Log

thestoatyone

Postby muchluv » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:22 pm

I've PMd him.

In the near future I will only need the vest for ab wheel rollouts and pressups. In the (very distant) future I think it will be perfect for pullups etc. Also great for leg exercises. Lots of people use them for speed drills with running stuff.

What do you want one for Stoaty?
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor

Postby thestoatyone » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:52 pm

I was thinking using them to add a bit of resistance to stair sprints and burpees. We shall see, there are other demands on my finances and time at the mo though...

My Log

thestoatyone

Postby buzz » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:13 pm

muchluv wrote:Thanks mate that's really helpful, may go with that one.

Here are my thoughts:

Pros:

- I would like to buy from Buzz obviously.
- That's a really good price. Newitts is doing free delivery so it'd be about 3 pounds cheaper than Newitts.
- 20kg is a good weight, I wouldn't want to pay an extra 70 just for an extra 10kg for the Maxivest.
- The area over the shoulders are big compared to the Newitts one, so better weight distribution, so may be more comfortable.
- Weight is more evenly distributed.

Cons:
- Has belts which took me a while to see, so it should be ok but a bit worried about it not being snug enough.
- Have seen a few people that have said their vests have torn and that looks like it is the kind of material that would possibly tear, but can't see all that well in the picture.
- Shoulders look big enough that they might hang over and irritate, or impede

Hey, lucky I logged on by chance, not on here much, but happy to give some feedback on the vests!

The belts should make it more snug no? Have had a couple of guys in HQ try them on, but we don't use them in the gym. One was about 85kg, the other about 100kg. They seemed to fit both ok. I don't think they need to be mega tight anyway do they?
Not sure about them tearing, have sold plenty and not had anyone come back saying they've torn. Don't see why they would, but depends largely on how they're being used/cared for I'd think.
Not sure about the shoulder thing either. Depends on how big you are maybe? Think we measured one and it was about 50cm across the back (if that helps!)
buzz

Postby muchluv » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:10 pm

Thanks for the reply buzz!

Ordered one, hope it fits ok etc.

Stoaty, for those things, you may only require a lighter vest perhaps? There are cheaper ones available 9kg.
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor

Postby muchluv » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:53 pm

Got it already!

Jeez, 20kg lol. Heavier than i imagined. How do you people squat with bars 100+ on your back?!

Have tried it on empty, but have yet to try it on with any weight. Should be ok. I'm medium frame. I imagine it will fit bigger people better.

Will post back with any new info. Thanks Buzz!
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor

Postby thestoatyone » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:58 pm

Can you adjust the weight then?

My Log

thestoatyone

Postby muchluv » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:14 pm

Yes the jacket has 20 1kg bags of sand in it, each in a pocket, both on the back and front. so the weight can be just the weight of the jacket, an extra kilo... all the way up to 20kg. Probably a good idea to keep the weight evenly distributed though.
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor

Postby thestoatyone » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:25 pm

1kilo increments? Handy...

My Log

thestoatyone

Postby muchluv » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:29 pm

Yes very handy. I think most vests do it but I think there is one (in america) which just has a set weight and you can buy an extra weight if you want it. I think this way is much better.
muchluv
The VF YouTube Guvnor

Postby buzz » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:21 pm

No probs, glad it reached you safely!
buzz

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights