New to weight lifting/at home on a budget.

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

New to weight lifting/at home on a budget.

Postby honfour » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Hi guys. So I'm completely new to the world of weight lifting and would highly appreciate some help to my multilayered problem. You can safely assume I know next to nothing.

My goals are, in order:

1. Be able to comfortably lift 100 lbs in a month or two.
2. Be able to comfortably lift 125 lbs shortly thereafter.
3. Get in shape before the end of the year.
4. Be able to comfortably lift my body weight (170 lbs) before our galaxy's Sun dies out.

I am in my early 20s, 6', and as mentioned above, 170 lbs. I have a bit of a mid-lower back problem (stiffness) from sleeping on the floor for years and not having a chair to sit on; and some slight, painless crepitus in my right knee. No pity party here though, I am here to avenge myself of those lost years 8)

So, some questions:

1. What is the bare minimum equipment I should own to start weight lifting at home? (Currently residing in an old apartment complex.)
2. I plan on starting p90x soon for general fitness and nutrition. What are some excellent weight lifting routines to augment p90x or just weight lifting routines in general for beginners at home?
3. Should I be concerned/mindful of my stiff back or knee during workouts? I've considered seeing a chiropractor.

Thanks very much in advance! I'd highly appreciate any comments, concerns, or advice regarding anything I've said. Thanks again ;)
honfour

Re: New to weight lifting/at home on a budget.

Postby vegan hal » Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:12 pm

first Welcome!

you say "Be able to comfortably lift 100 lbs in a month or two" but what lift do you mean? there are many many different lifts. My assumption would be Bench Press. but you should determine what sort of lifting program you want to follow. powerlifting, strongman, Olympic, crossfit... the list goes on. the main thing is you should find something that works the entire body. not just upper-body.

as for lifting at home on a budget, find yourself a good solid bench and a power rack id you can, a oly bar and some oly weights to start. you can always pick up more plates down the road when you get stringer and have more cash. i bought my initial bench/rack with a 7' Oly bar and a about 280lbs of plates for $150 2nd-hand on craigslist. I've added more 45lb plates along the way when i needed them.

also get a cheap pull-up bar. put 2 chairs together to do dips.
vegan hal

Postby human vegetable » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:16 am

also get a cheap pull-up bar. put 2 chairs together to do dips.

+1. Bodyweight exercises might be the best way to get you started. You don't have to invest in a heap of equipment that will collect dust and clutter your flat if you find in a couple of months that your fitness spree is over.

For a beginner, BWE will give you all the results you hope and wish for, and if, in a couple of months, you are still resolved to take it even further, they will have provided you with a favorable foundation to start "serious" weightlifting.

Ross Enamait's "Never Gymless" is an excellent resource, but if you have some time on your hands you will be able to find most of this info on the web for free. BWE is not rocket science - all of the basic exercises have been around for millennia.
human vegetable

Postby Konstantin » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:19 pm

There's some links to that sort of stuff here:
http://www.alfsg.org.uk/fitness.html

The first four (Word) were put together here on VF.
You can see my training log if you're really bored: [url]www.veganfitness.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16086&start=360[/url]
Konstantin

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights