too long routine?

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

too long routine?

Postby sergio » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:02 pm

I started a new routine last week and it's ok at the moment, even it's not the best workout I could have. It takes me almost two hours on the gym, 4 days each week, it this too much time? It's the longest routine I've ever made and I feel ok but I also have some doubts about it -there are articles out there recommending no more than 60-90 min-

Any advice/suggestion?

Note: The gym guy made the routine, not me. However it would be cool to hear opinions of experienced people.

Thanks.
Last edited by sergio on Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I accidentally replaced all of my blood with coffee.
sergio

Re: too long routine?

Postby Talyn » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:03 pm

2 hours is fine, provided you are recovering sufficiently.
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby sergio » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:07 pm

7. Keep Your Workouts Short But Intense

When it comes to your workout, as a vegetarian you should aim for short but intense workouts. This will help prevent muscle mass loss from taking place and your body relying on protein to get through those workouts. If you were doing very long workout sessions that's when your protein needs will be really elevated, which could get more difficult being on a vegetarian diet.

So, this is crap, isn't it? :P
sergio

Postby baldy » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:17 pm

sergio wrote:

When it comes to your workout, as a vegetarian you should aim for short but intense workouts. This will help prevent muscle mass loss from taking place and your body relying on protein to get through those workouts. If you were doing very long workout sessions that's when your protein needs will be really elevated, which could get more difficult being on a vegetarian diet.

yes, that is total nonsense.

It is possible to keep sessions under an hour, I used to do them before work. Focus on 2 big exercises and a bonus one each session. Be strict with time between sets.
If you have the time, then no problem doing long sessions. Most of the guys I know train for between 1.5 and 3 hours depending on what is happening.

What is the routine though? If you are doing endless sets of tricep kickbacks, flys and 20 different bench variations you might be wasting your time :)
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Lordmuppet » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:45 pm

sergio wrote:

I'm curious where did you find this?
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby Talyn » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:54 pm

sergio wrote:

It doesn't really make any sense? It seems to assume that as a 'vegetarian' you don't seem to be getting any protein?

I'd disregard with extreme prejudice.
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby sergio » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:36 pm

Lordmuppet wrote:I'm curious where did you find this?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/vegetar ... ilding.htm Not a reliable source when it comes to veganism, I guess.

Talyn wrote:It doesn't really make any sense? It seems to assume that as a 'vegetarian' you don't seem to be getting any protein?

I'd disregard with extreme prejudice.

I thought the same when I read it. Sometimes complete lack of experience makes me reluctant to say "this is complete bullshit", though
sergio

Postby sergio » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:53 pm

baldy wrote:What is the routine though? If you are doing endless sets of tricep kickbacks, flys and 20 different bench variations you might be wasting your time :)

day A (legs, chest, triceps)

4 x 10 bench press
3 x 10 declined bench
3 x 10 dumbbell fly
2 x 10 seated fly

4 x 10 back squat
3 x 25 calf raises
3 x 10 leg extension
3 x 10 leg curl

3 x 10 lying triceps extension
3 x 10 kickback
2 sets of dips (max)

day B (back, shoulders, biceps)

3 x 10 level t-bar row.
4 x 10 cable pulldown
3 x 10 cable underhand pulldown
3 x 30 back hyperextension

4 x 10 shoulder press behind neck
3 x 10 upright row
3 x 10 Seated Rear Lateral Raise
3 x 25 Shrugs

4 x 10 barbell curl
3 x 10 hammer curl
2 x 21's

Ab work both days and stretching and it takes 2 h easily.

It's my 3rd one -started 7 months ago- and the first mostly based on barbells/dumbells. The plan is stick to it until the end of summer and then decide direction: stronglifts vs kettlebell.

Opinions are welcome! :)
sergio

Postby Catt Queen » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:50 pm

Do you enjoy your routine? If you don't enjoy it then you'll get bored, won't give it your best and won't stick at it.

I would get bored with a routine like that.
Allie =^..^=
http://www.stronger.me.uk
Find me on Facebook
Courage, sacrifice, determination, commitment, toughness, heart, talent, guts.
That's what little girls are made of; to hell with sugar and spice.
Catt Queen

Postby sergio » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:20 pm

Catt Queen wrote:Do you enjoy your routine? If you don't enjoy it then you'll get bored, won't give it your best and won't stick at it.

I would get bored with a routine like that.

Not yet but eventually will happen, for sure. I enjoy the training, though. I don't feel like building a routine on my own, still learning through trial and error.
sergio

Postby Talyn » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:06 am

That routine has a lot of faff / redundant exercises, so I can now see why it takes you two hours to complete.

But having said that if you enjoy it and feel you're getting results then that's all that matters.

Re: direction... you're doing a bodybuilding program at the moment, but you want to possibly get into stronglifts which is more a powerlifting program. So what are your goals at the moment? (which comes down to: size or strength?)
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby sergio » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:03 pm

Talyn wrote:That routine has a lot of faff / redundant exercises, so I can now see why it takes you two hours to complete.

But having said that if you enjoy it and feel you're getting results then that's all that matters.

Re: direction... you're doing a bodybuilding program at the moment, but you want to possibly get into stronglifts which is more a powerlifting program. So what are your goals at the moment? (which comes down to: size or strength?)

It was size, at first. I lose 10 kg -mostly fat- cycling and after that I thought gaining some muscle mass was a good idea, something it would be ok to start with.

Honestly I'm a complete rookie and still trying to understand all the different approaches to training with weights (good stuff for FAQ's, by the way). I've decided to stick to this until the end of summer, it's working since I'm bigger but I'm starting to think this bodybuilding thing could be not my cup of tea. I want to think it will be useful -more or less- no matter what the next step will be.
sergio

Postby Catt Queen » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:26 pm

sergio wrote: I'm starting to think this bodybuilding thing could be not my cup of tea. I want to think it will be useful -more or less- no matter what the next step will be.

If it's not right for you then surely better to change it sooner rather than later?
Allie =^..^=
http://www.stronger.me.uk
Find me on Facebook
Courage, sacrifice, determination, commitment, toughness, heart, talent, guts.
That's what little girls are made of; to hell with sugar and spice.
Catt Queen

Postby Lordmuppet » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:51 am

sergio wrote:

So just to clarify it is still crap but specifically is crap because 1) the body appear to temporarily go into catabolic (wasting) phase regardless of diet and 2) because obviously you can get enough protein on vegan diet 3) it's not clear to me what this has to do with the length of workout nevermind length of workout for a veggie

I was curious though to figure where the person who wrote it was coming from and I think I may have found something of an answer.

this is an extract from a very mainstream Ryan Andrew's (who is vegan) article on protein from Precision Nutrition. Note the article isn't for vegans just everyone that trains.

"When you eat protein is just as important as how much. After resistance exercise (RE) such as weight training, the body synthesizes proteins for up to 48 hours after training. Interestingly, during and immediately after RE, protein breakdown is increased as well. In fact, for a brief period, the rate of breakdown exceeds the rate of building. The body actually drops into a short-term wasting or catabolic state. However, taking in enough protein during the pre- and post-exercise period can offset catabolism. (Check out the Precision Nutrition guide for more on nutrition timing.)"

So in short the kernel of truth seem to be this: everyone (regardless of diet) has short term wasting but if you eat enough protein before and after then you're fine :)

I know relatively little about nutrition so feel free to jump in folks
JS - They think it will open the door to folk like LordMuppet campaigning for a threeway?
Lordmuppet
Muppet Moderator

Postby Talyn » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:35 am

In fact, for a brief period, the rate of breakdown exceeds the rate of building. The body actually drops into a short-term wasting or catabolic state. However, taking in enough protein during the pre- and post-exercise period can offset catabolism. (Check out the Precision Nutrition guide for more on nutrition timing.)"

Looks like someone attended broscience 101.

Quick, take an expensive pre-peri-post workout supplement or teh evil catabolz will destroy your gains!
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Next

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights