Serratus anterior exrcises share your personal expirence

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Serratus anterior exrcises share your personal expirence

Postby israel » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:47 pm

I am intersted to improve this muscle - and i did some exrcises and couldnt feel it

Can some of you share your expirence (not an exrx list) of what exercises do you do to train it and what is the best exercise for you (when you feel it the most)
my blog thats about simple recipes (vegan) :

http://reallysimplefood.blogspot.com/
israel

Re: Serratus anterior exrcises share your personal expirence

Postby fredrikw » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:57 pm

I think the first question is why you feel the need to work on this particular muscle. Most muscles really makes no sense working on their own in isolation, but part of the movement you want to get stronger doing. If it's for some rehab reason I guess a physiotherapist could help you target that specific muscle. Or is this one of your weird ideas again? ;) :lol:

Asking not to get lists from exrx is a bit weird, since that's the place where you'll definitely find exercises that will target that specific muscle.
--- non-racers. the emptiness of those lives shocks me ---
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby israel » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:47 pm

I tryed stuff and didnt feel them so i want people to share their expirence so i would kjnow what worked for them and if they actually felt the muscle -

yes its for rehab

and usually i get from here better answers then when googeling which i did -

after getting some response i will check exrx for further knoldege on those exercises

israel

Postby fredrikw » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:00 pm

If it's for rehab any physiotherapist should be able to give you hundred times better advice than any advice you'll get from a forum like this. Unless of course you mean something entirely different by "rehab" than actual rehabilitation :)
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby israel » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:01 am

At least from my expirence physiotherapist dont help much

israel

Postby fredrikw » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:47 am

So a professional who has an education in physiology and rehabilitation doesn't help, but an internet forum does?

What kind of injury do you have? How did you come to the conclusion that you need to rehabilitate by working that specific muscle?
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby baldy » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:12 am

I dont even know what muscle that is, but I want to help!
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby ultra_whippet » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:20 pm

http://www.fitnesseducationseminars.com/free-videos

See the section on shoulder exercises, a lot of good info in there
ultra_whippet

Postby thestoatyone » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:39 pm

I heard press-ups are good for it if you let your shoulder blades come apart at the top of the movement. Never really been that bothered by it myself, but it's supposed to be very important for shoulder stability, which is where you get the impression you need to build it up I guess?
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

muchluv wrote:When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby JP » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:36 pm

fredrikw wrote:So a professional who has an education in physiology and rehabilitation doesn't help, but an internet forum does?

What kind of injury do you have? How did you come to the conclusion that you need to rehabilitate by working that specific muscle?

very common in UK that the advice and excercises from appointed physios is lacklustre and poor unfortunately :( Dont know if the same is common in israel, hope not!

When i had my injury and long road of rehab going with my pec tendon tear i took material to the physio and was quite assertive about what i needed and wanted - and in the end got great service. Dont know if i would have had i just gone with the flow though...
JP
Site Admin

Postby israel » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:56 am

Didnt want to respond - because now this thread is more about me and why i wrote it insted of about the Serratus anterior

I went to some phsyos and they didnt help - some were very nice and seemed to know stuff but it didnt help much

i think i have a winged scapula and i understand that the Serratus anterior is weak in this situation

israel

Postby JP » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:59 am

israel wrote:Didnt want to respond - because now this thread is more about me and why i wrote it insted of about the Serratus anterior

its just how it goes on discussion forums, kind of like chats in a social situations, they go to all directions, and can cover many topics at the same time too :)

like this thread is now also about how discussion forums work lol!
JP
Site Admin

Postby fredrikw » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:12 pm

The reason I asked is that, in general, a person with professional knowledge are often better at judging when a person needs rehab and what exercises is best suited to do this. It might not be true in many cases, but, also in general I might add, I think you're better off with a not perfect professional than on your own. Reading up on your problems and being well prepared when seeing a professional is a good idea, skipping it all together and making the diagnosis yourself is in my opinion not a good idea. I don't think it's necessarily bad for you, as in making any damage, but you risk spending huge amounts of time doing pointless exercises that doesn't address your problems.

Just my thoughts on this, I have had quite a lot of trouble with my shoulders (two fractures, one open surgery), and I've had great results from physiotherapists. When I talk to people about physiotherapy, many of those who are unhappy with the results have had expectations that they would get better after a few visits, when rehab of proper injuries takes a lot of time and the exercises you do doesn't always feel particularly efficient or useful.
fredrikw
Site Admin

Postby israel » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:17 pm

its just how it goes on discussion forums, kind of like chats in a social situations, they go to all directions, and can cover many topics at the same time too :)

Ok true i know i know ... i spammed this website to much not to know :lol:

thanks fredrikw for the thought which is true - i just didnt say ( i think) that when i did the physyos exrcises i even felt a bit worse so i didnt continue the exrcises - but gave them there chance

israel

Postby fredrikw » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:56 pm

israel wrote:thanks fredrikw for the thought which is true - i just didnt say ( i think) that when i did the physyos exrcises i even felt a bit worse so i didnt continue the exrcises - but gave them there chance

How long did you go to a physiotherapist? Often when doing rehab the road to recovery is not a straight line upwards, but often filled with small setbacks which is part of the rehab process, especially if you're starting doing exercises that you for some reason haven't done, or been able to do, before.

Anyway, I do still think counseling with a professional, no matter how bad you think they are, is better than a unholy mix of self diagnosing, google searches and discussion forum treatments. But that's just me. If I were you I would of course go to exrx.net and find what workouts I need to do to address that muscle, and do them until I threw up or got the muscle inflamed from all the isolation work ;) :lol:
fredrikw
Site Admin

Next

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights