training muscles by thogut

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

training muscles by thogut

Postby israel » Mon May 10, 2010 6:07 pm

i have shoulder pain - and i understand that to rehab i need to work the inner muscles -

i know that if you concentrate on a muscle you can activate it ? i heard it several times and it feels like it works and when i do a slow motion and focusing on the arm i feel like it affects deep muscles - what do you think ? the bands dont help me much

plus does someone knows what is it called (this kind of training) so i can google it ?
my blog thats about simple recipes (vegan) :

http://reallysimplefood.blogspot.com/
israel

Re: training muscles by thogut

Postby ninearms » Mon May 10, 2010 6:13 pm

To be really effective you need to elevate the affected bodypart above the head (the higher the better). This ensures that adequate oxygen is delivered to the brain and that blood isn't restricting the thought pathways.
“Begin at the beginning,” the King said gravely, “and go on till you come to the end. Then stop.”
ninearms
Perked Member

Postby bronco » Mon May 10, 2010 7:28 pm

ninearms wrote:To be really effective you need to elevate the affected bodypart above the head (the higher the better). This ensures that adequate oxygen is delivered to the brain and that blood isn't restricting the thought pathways.

Ah, your inner hippie has come out of the closet. Solid :D .
JP wrote:Spirulina is a badass crew, and they often just hang around in street corners looking to beat up proteins.

They oftenget confused by the fact that they are almost half protein themselves.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby Clem Snide » Mon May 10, 2010 8:22 pm

israel wrote:plus does someone knows what is it called (this kind of training) so i can google it ?

The Force.
Clem Snide

Postby Gelert » Mon May 10, 2010 8:37 pm

israel wrote:i know that if you concentrate on a muscle you can activate it

Try not to do this on public transport. There's laws against that kind of thing.
Gelert

Postby Talyn » Mon May 10, 2010 9:07 pm

Gelert wrote:
israel wrote:i know that if you concentrate on a muscle you can activate it

Try not to do this on public transport. There's laws against that kind of thing.

Agreed. The last thing you want is a vastly inflated shoulder whilst standing next to a lady on the bus. It might poker her in the eye.
Talyn
User Activation Admin

Postby israel » Tue May 11, 2010 11:23 am

ahhhhhhhhh

israel

Postby xrodolfox » Tue May 11, 2010 12:55 pm

I activate all sorts of muscles by thought.
I can do this on public transit, but I close my eyes to concentrate and avoid distractions.
Then, I slow my breathing and concentrate on my beating heart.
Next, I slowly activate the muscles I am targeting. bit by bit.

Unfortunately, then they move, and I have to apologize for the display on public transit.
"The worker has the right to leave his boss, but can she do it? And if she does quit him, is it in order to lead a free life; where she will have no master but herself? No, she leaves to sell herself to another employer. She's driven by the same hunger. Thus the worker's liberty is only a theoretical freedom, lacking any means of realization; an utter falsehood."
-Bakunin
xrodolfox
Site Admin

Postby The Duke » Tue May 11, 2010 5:16 pm

ninearms wrote:To be really effective you need to elevate the affected bodypart above the head (the higher the better). This ensures that adequate oxygen is delivered to the brain and that blood isn't restricting the thought pathways.

This would only work if you were within a couple of kilometres of a major Ley Line.

If you are not then you have to hold the affected body part as close to the ground as possible while elevating the head and having positive thoguts about the afflicted body part.
Free the Guinea Pigs.
The Duke

Postby Enhydra Lutris » Tue May 11, 2010 6:24 pm

[quote="israel"]i have shoulder pain - and i understand that to rehab i need to work the inner muscles -
... the bands dont help me much [/quote

If you got the right exercises and you are doing them correctly, the rehab with the band should work. But it's usually either painful or just painfully slow progress. Why not focusing on what you are doing when you are doing the exercises, that should have a better effect that trying to will your muscles into working. (The band will give you a feel for what you need them to do.)

When I hurt my shoulder about 10 years ago, the physiotherapist gave me several exercises to do, most with a band and a few with a 0.5 litre water-filled bottle. I learnt a few things from that: it was very easy to cheat by using other muscles, healing and recovery was a very slow process, and not doing the exercises did not improve on the progress.
They say the grass is greener on the other side
-- but have you ever flipped it over?
The Jean-Paul Sartre cookbook: "Today I made a Black Forest cake out of five pounds of cherries and a live beaver, challenging the very definition of the word cake."
Enhydra Lutris

Postby Gelert » Tue May 11, 2010 6:33 pm

Nonsense. Dr. Jacques Benveniste, formerly of the prestigious French Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale showed it is possible to heal things by homeopathic messages sent via an electronic medium such as telephone lines.

No need to bother with remedial exercises as I'm sending you healing thoguts in this post, israel :)
Gelert

Postby human vegetable » Sun May 16, 2010 1:58 pm

israel, there are different ways to train muscles "by thought".

In one way, you'd visualize the movement without actually moving/flexing anything. I've read in the popular media that this "training" does have some effect - although much less than the real thing. The reason would be that thinking of a movement somehow makes the nervous system more efficient in recruiting muscles. However, as a rehab approach, this is worthless, because it doesn't create any physiological stimulus in your hurt shoulder.

The other way is actually flexing the muscles, and then you're not talking about mere thought, but antagonistic resistance - you move in one direction against the resistance of antagonist muscles. As far as I know, it has been shown that this kind of training does have some modest effects (again, less than the real thing), but for rehabilitation it could work great because you have much more control over the resistance at specific points of ROM. Definitely worth a try.

A more conventional form of rehab training which also works without external loads is "manual resistance" (google for this term) where you use your other limb to apply the necessary resistance. This is used by professional athletes (where the resistance is applied by physiotherapists, of course) and definitely not a sham.

If you're interested in this kind of training, check out the following link: http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/shenandoah/OBB/OBB.html Scroll down and have a look at the exercise descriptions.
human vegetable

Postby israel » Mon May 17, 2010 6:38 pm

Enhydra Lutris - i tryed doing "normal" physo exercises in many different ways but it didnt help yet - im trying to do it in one last "way" - and if it wont work then i will want to try the mental thing - because its not a slow progress that bothers me - its the negative progress that does - my shoulders just get more painful .

human vegetable - very interesting - i saw the link - that was what i had in mind - and the fact above the moving against the antagonistic muscle sounds logical

thanks both for the normal replays !

the jokes were funny but you should have really waited until i would get at least one serious answer - other posters .

israel

Postby XkillerX » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:18 pm

so have you had any luck training your muzls by thogut?
Next time, I'll spend the money on drugs instead.
XkillerX
invisible blonde unicorn

Postby israel » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:00 am

well my head got bigger 8)

no - im not trying it until i will give up on my normal rehab exrcises

israel

Next

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights