Squats and Deadlift Situation

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Squats and Deadlift Situation

Postby Johnboy74 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:09 pm

Hi All,

I'm thinking of bringing in some Squats and deadlifts into my gym routine, do I need to wear a weightlifting belt? If so where can i get a vegan one?

Cheers
John
****** Vegan Atheist ******
Most atheists see themselves as realists - their atheism is a part of their willingness to square up to the world as it is and face it without recourse to superstition or comforting fictions about a life to come or a benevolent power looking after us.
Johnboy74

Postby hoffmeister » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:34 pm

no you don't need a belt.
hoffmeister
Reluctant Moderator

Postby bronco » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:02 pm

[quote="hoffmeister"]no you don't need a belt.

The hoffmeister speaks the truth :D !

What you do need to know is focus on good form. There is a lot of advice to be found about this on this forum as well as on the internet in general.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby Johnboy74 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:34 pm

Cheers guys... I'm also thinking about doing some clean and jerks, probably going to start at a light weight and build up... so would I be ok without a belt until I get to some serious weight?
Most atheists see themselves as realists - their atheism is a part of their willingness to square up to the world as it is and face it without recourse to superstition or comforting fictions about a life to come or a benevolent power looking after us.
Johnboy74

Postby Fallen_Horse » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:10 pm

For sure. I have always favored raw lifts over belted, but it's up to each person I suppose...
Lovin' it!
Fallen_Horse

Postby aliquis » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:09 pm

I'd assume the only thing the belt really do is to allow you to lift somewhat heavier with a somewhat safe lift, I'd assume it may be counterproductive when it comes to building core strength though since I'd assume your body don't have to work as much stabilizing the weight as it would without the belt.

But I may be wrong so don't take that for a fact.

Anyway, no, you don't need it and you will never need it, but you may prefer it anyway, and it may help you do heavier lifts. But now in the beginning I guess building some more "natural" strength in the area before getting a belt won't be bad.

See my thread in the strength section about what belt I should get for some UK sellers of Ocelot belts, or see the longer belt thread in same section for an IPF approved or close to the standards belt which may eventually turn up from the good people here at VF.
aliquis

Postby V VII Hero » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:07 pm

do NOT wear a belt. EVER. seriously, if you can't lift the weight with proper form and in control, then lower the weight until you can.

a weight belt will weaken your core and stabilizer muscles, making it even more dangerous, because your body will now rely on the belt.

deadlifts, squats, press n cleans, etc. are all great exercises.

do a 5X5 routine and start out light and work your way up slowly.

again, stay away from the belt and let your body build up those stabilizer muscles and your regular muscle. isnt that the goal of lifting? to build muscle or use muscle more efficiently?

best of wishes with incorporating these new exercises in your routine. they are a lot of fun! 8)
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Postby Johnboy74 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:18 am

Cheers guys.. going to try and introduce deadlifts, squats, press n cleans in my routine this week :D
Johnboy74

Postby JP » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:39 am

Its good to make the belt into a conscious decision rather than automatically one way or another.

If you aim for maximal lifts, especially in a competition, use the belts that are allowed and make you shif more weight (some powerlifters for instance do not wear a belt with squats and deadlifts because it makes them lift less - they are usually rather large lifters though...).

But lifting without them will build your core in a different way. On the other hand if it prevents you to lift more weight, then thats not going to make you stronger either.

To start with, i would recommend not to use one, but learn to activate your midsection and use the muscles as a belt.

When weights climb up, i would use a belt, and learn to use it as well (opposite of the activation when not using a belt, because you have to actively push against the belt with your abs instead of holding them tight and strong).
JP
Site Admin

Re:

Postby Seitanist » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:06 pm

[quote="JP"]Its good to make the belt into a conscious decision rather than automatically one way or another.

If you aim for maximal lifts, especially in a competition, use the belts that are allowed and make you shif more weight (some powerlifters for instance do not wear a belt with squats and deadlifts because it makes them lift less - they are usually rather large lifters though...).

But lifting without them will build your core in a different way. On the other hand if it prevents you to lift more weight, then thats not going to make you stronger either.

To start with, i would recommend not to use one, but learn to activate your midsection and use the muscles as a belt.

When weights climb up, i would use a belt, and learn to use it as well (opposite of the activation when not using a belt, because you have to actively push against the belt with your abs instead of holding them tight and strong).

Great advice JP, thanks. I'm climbing into the 300 lb mark on my deadlifts and decided a belt is right for this sort of weight. Appreciate it.
The devils of past religions have always, at least in part, had animal characteristics, evidence of man's constant need to deny that he too is an animal, for to do so would serve a mighty blow to his impoverished ego. -Anton LaVey
Seitanist

Re: Squats and Deadlift Situation

Postby thestoatyone » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:12 pm

Training with a belt allows you to lift more with a belt. This is useful for competitions. Lifting without a belt builds core control and strength. This is good for back health and general athleticism. Why not do both?
Vincit omnia pertinax virtus

My Log

[quote="muchluv"]When I grow up I want to be Gelert.
thestoatyone

Postby big-green » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:05 pm

I don't recommend using a belt while weight lifting for squats and deadlift unless you're going to do super heavy weight for a low amount of reps (like seeing where your 1 rep max is). Squats and deadlifts are compound exercises meaning they're suppose to work out multiple muscle groups, and the belt defeats the purpose of that. Belts take a lot of tension off of your core and your lower back.

Adding squats and deadlifts (or variations of them) are crucial for having a good workout regimen if you're wanting to increase your strength. I don't see enough people doing them in the gym!
“The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.”
-Arnold Schwarzenegger
protein I like http://bestproteinpowderreviews.com/best-vegan-protein-powder
big-green

Postby tal » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:33 pm

[quote="big-green"]Belts take a lot of tension off of your core and your lower back.

I disagree with that. If you use a belt properly, it should increase the tension you already have in your core and lower back.

I usually use mine when doing sets at around 75% of 1RM or higher.
tal

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights