Building muscle and upper body strength

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Building muscle and upper body strength

Postby Dianski » Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:19 pm

Hi all. I would like to build some upper body bulk and strength.
So far I am going about it this way

Chest
Incline bench 3 sets of 60 lbs
Flat fly 3 sets (15 lb bels)

Back
bent rows 3 sets 40lb bar
Seated sholder press 3 sets 15 lb bels

Arm
Preacher curl - 3 sets 15 lbs
Concentrated curl - 3 sets 15 lbs

Triceps
Skull crusher 3 sets 10 lbs
Tri-kickbacks (not sure what they are really called) 3 sets 8 lbs

I do the Chest and back one day and arms with my legs on a different day. Please let me know if there are some good improvements or adjustments that I should make. I don't want to waste time or be counter productive. I am pretty sure that I am using heavy enough weights because by the last set I am lucky to get 6 to 8 reps. Some days I am a bit better, but most days eeking out with good form 8 is the max.

Thanks
This group rocks!
Diane - wanna be and willing to work to get there
Dianski

Postby bronco » Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:16 pm

[quote]I would like to build some upper body bulk and strength.

Well, who doesn't? :D
Anyway, here are my thoughts on your routine:

I would cut back on the arm work, six sets for each of biceps and triceps is a little much compared to only three for the back. 3-4 sets for each of biceps and triceps should be enough. For biceps I would replace one of the exercises with regular barbell or dumbbell curls, since preacher- and concentrationcurl are quite similar to each other. Also I would add lat pulldowns or chins to the back routine, 2-3 sets. If you don't do deadlifts on your leg day I would definitely suggest you add them to your leg routine, they're great for strengthening the lower back. Otherwise it might be good to add some exercise for the lower back, back hyperextensions or such, to your back routine. Also some abs exercises would be good, on either back-chest or arms-legs day. Maybe you do abswork allready but forgot to mention it?

I hope I gave you some usefull ideas. Good luck with your training!

/Gustav
bronco
Site Admin

Postby V VII Hero » Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:20 pm

Pullups are amazing. try some of those as well
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Postby J » Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:10 pm

It's so much more complicated that that for me. I've come to the conclusion I have to work out my upper body differently than my lower.

I actually quit strength training my lower body for many years because it was getting too far ahead of my upper. I think there is some fundamental difference between the two because you use your legs all day every day while you upper body does not much of anything outside of strength training. Also it varies greatly from person to person.
J

Postby Dave Noisy » Sat Sep 18, 2004 11:58 pm

I've started doing something called 7's. (Seven sets of seven, in seven minutes.)

It's mainly done with a tricep bar, and is very quick, but is supposed to get you pretty ripped. (Tho not bulk..)

I'm sure someone here could explain it waay better than i can!
Dave Noisy

Postby funfetus » Sun Sep 19, 2004 1:33 am

The only things that get you "ripped" without "bulk" are cardio and diet.
funfetus

Postby Dianski » Mon Sep 20, 2004 2:59 pm

Thank you all for the help. I didn't even notice that I changed one of my back to a sholder exercise when changing my routing a bit. I only use free weights because I lift in my home.

I am going to have to try some things. Your replys have been most helpful.

And for those gals out there who want to tone and not bulk up, I have been squating 135 lbs for more than 5 years and still wear a size 7 or in men's 28 waist jeans. If you are a gal and are afraid of bulking up you don't have much to be afraid of - it's pretty hard to do. Muscle may weigh a lot more than fat, but it doesn't take up a lot of room.

I also want to add that this forum is a great place! Hmmm, why didn't I find this place sooner?
Dianski

Postby sensless » Mon Sep 20, 2004 5:44 pm

[quote]The only things that get you "ripped" without "bulk" are cardio and diet.

Sometimes overtraining can have this effect.
poop.
sensless

Postby funfetus » Mon Sep 20, 2004 11:10 pm

How's that?
funfetus

Postby sensless » Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:21 pm

Overtraining won't allow your muscles to heal fully, which can cause them to not grow or to shrink in size.
poop.
sensless

Postby Dianski » Tue Sep 21, 2004 3:08 pm

What a great reason to be a couch potato on occasion! But honestly, I think sensless is right.

If I don't get enough sleep or decide to skip a rest day, then I just can't seem to do the workouts the next time. Usually this only happens in the summer when I have to try to fit in a year's worth of fun.
Dianski

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights