general weight lifting question for women

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

general weight lifting question for women

Postby jillbren » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:17 pm

I know that weights are not supposed to make women bulk up, but I think they do for me. I started lifing with a trainer 2 or three times a week for an hour about 7 months ago. I just stopped bc I felt like I was getting bulky. I thought it was in my mind but my husband looked at my arm last week as was like Wow look at the huge arm

Big muscles loook good on some women, but it doesn't feel right for me. I am petite 5 feet tall and about 110 lbs. (Right now 115)

I have just started doing power yoga instead of weights bc I want a longer lean look.

Has anyone else had this experience bc everything I read says women cant bulk up, but I swear they can !!!!
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams.
jillbren

Postby sensless » Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:45 pm

Check out this website:

http://www.stumptuous.com

That woman seems to know her stuff pretty well and has a fine collection of "how to" and other information I expect you may find useful.

How much weight gain occurred during your weight training? Did you take any measurements (weight, bodyfat percentage, and actual body size measurements) before, during, and after the plan?

Regards,

John Jr.
poop.
sensless

Postby Mary » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:36 pm

Maybe you are self conscious about the way you look, and don't look as bad as you think you dol. My experience is that your body won't go beyond what is natural for it, and therefore you will be in your own natural perameters, what suits your frame. I know one vegan woman who is drop dead gorgeous without trying, and she is exactly five foot two, with visible biceps. The blokes all shuffle and look awestruck as she sashays past. I honestly don't think she has noticed - though her boyfriend has!

If you want to keep your strength but tone down, then decrease the weight and do more reps. You don't have to stop lifting - although I do hatha yoga, and boy is that a workout! Good choice there. Also, increase your cardio, things like rowing, etc. But don't feel bad about it. I bet loads of people would like your look.

Anyway, I wish I had your problem. :roll: Okay, I have only been on my current routine just short of 6 weeks, but I don't seem to be gaining loads of muscle - though I do seem to be losing fat. How long have you been working out? Not just weights but in general.

Let us know how it goes.
Mary

Postby jillbren » Tue Sep 14, 2004 9:41 pm

I do tons of cardio - I run about 30 miles a week, and now I am training for a half marathon in October and a Marathon in March. I have been running for about 6 years.

I am now doing yoga several times a week instead of weights. Too bad though, I was so happy to bench 65 lbs for 3 reps. but I dont want that body builder look, for me.

I did not measure, but I feel that I look bulky and I feel bulky. Also, some dresses I have cannt be zippped up the back, and I dont see back fat, so I must be bigger bc of muscle.

I know I dont look bad, I do look cute, but it is not how I want to look. And I know I am overly concerned about my appearance.
We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams.
jillbren

Postby Strix » Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:03 am

I remember I started doing shoulder shrugs once :lol: don't ask me why; I have no idea. Within a couple weeks I looked terrible! I was mostly pissed that no other part of me built up that fast! I looked so out of proportion. It went away quickly.
"The hand that signed the paper felled a city;
Five sovereign fingers taxed the breath,
Doubled the globe of dead and halved a country;
These five kings did a king to death."
-Dylan Thomas
Strix

Postby kls » Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:58 am

you are not alone. my sister just about walks past a weight and she bulks up. she separated her shoulder last year and couldn't lift for awhile, so she has been doing tons of cardio and abs and has lost some of the bulk. she is toying with weight training again, but isn't really enthralled because of the way her body has "blown up" in the past. right now she is hanging with push-ups, dips and other body weight type exercises. she could lift me right under the table if she really wanted to though!!! :D
kls

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights