Weights at home

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Weights at home

Postby assilembob » Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:28 pm

So i am feeling kinda icky from some stuff and I decided to do weights at home with my hand weights.
I am going to wear shoes, but I was feeling lazy and wondered:
If you are doing lunges and arm stuff with hand weights...do you need to wear shoes and why?
Just curious, cause I do yoga lunges and such with weighted balls and I don't wear shoes for that.
I just didn't want to go find socks. I feel icky again. Felt good for two and a half days and now .... back to the ick.

Also: How many of you do at home weights? I need some new ideas as my old ones are getting stale and such. I am still not moving on from my weak 8lb. weights. It angers me I can't get stronger. Maybe I need new moves.

Thanks
~Mel
Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom, to believe in the good of man.
assilembob

Postby Mary » Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:32 pm

Sorry you feel icky. :( Hope it gets better soon.
Mary

Postby Frostfire » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:34 am

If it were me, shoes would be a must for lifting at home. For one, you don't want to drop the weights on your unprotected little toes or stub them, plus I feel shoes add stability. Also, it's largely mental for me as well. If I put shoes on, I will take the lifting more seriously, but if I don't, I'll feel lazy and uncommited and stop a lot. Could just be me though, I'm a bit odd that way when it comes to working out at home :roll: .

Now, for stretching or yoga stuff, bare feet for sure! You can't do most of that stuff with shoes on.

Sorry you are feeling icky :cry: , is this a constant thing? Sounds a little that way from your post.

As for variety at home, do you have a swiss ball? They can add some fun to a routine. Also, what type of lifting are you looking to do?

Hope you feel better soon!
http://www.ChingSanctuary.org
Frostfire

Postby JP » Tue Sep 07, 2004 7:56 am

Mel, if you are sick, don't train. Yoga might be a different thing if you do gentle stuff. Let your body recover, training is based on causing damage to your muscles and loading your central nervous system - you need your energy focused on getting yourself well. Focus on different diet things to give your body all necessary things to fight off the sickness.
JP
Site Admin

Re: Weights at home

Postby Daniel » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:56 am

[quote="assilembob"]So i am feeling kinda icky from some stuff and I decided to do weights at home with my hand weights.
I am going to wear shoes, but I was feeling lazy and wondered:
If you are doing lunges and arm stuff with hand weights...do you need to wear shoes and why?
Just curious, cause I do yoga lunges and such with weighted balls and I don't wear shoes for that.
I just didn't want to go find socks. I feel icky again. Felt good for two and a half days and now .... back to the ick.

Also: How many of you do at home weights? I need some new ideas as my old ones are getting stale and such. I am still not moving on from my weak 8lb. weights. It angers me I can't get stronger. Maybe I need new moves.

Thanks
~Mel

Hi, Mel, I use dumbbells at home and I always lift without shoe at home. I think I get a better support bare-foot than in running shoes. This is especially true with lunges. When I do lunges in running shoes it is just awful, it really strained my ankles because running shoes are not meant for lifting. In yoga and martial arts one of the reasons you are bare-foot is because it gives you a stable base to work from. So I apply that to lifting weights.

My weights at home are also too light, so now I am trying to get out to the gym more. I would recommend getting some heavier weights so when you have to lift at home. Also, there are tons of things you can do with weights at home to keep it fresh. To many to list, but check out peoples logs in the log section for ideas.
Daniel

Postby sensless » Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:27 pm

I find that wearing shoes that have no elevation to them provide me the best support while lifting (something like converse all-stars or aqua-socks). I don't think barefoot would seem much different to me, though I haven't tried it since I lift at a gym. For calf exercises I try to remember to wear hiking boots because the thick sole gives my foot protection.

Regards,
John Jr.
poop.
sensless

Postby Daniel » Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:35 pm

[quote="sensless"]I find that wearing shoes that have no elevation to them provide me the best support while lifting (something like converse all-stars or aqua-socks). I don't think barefoot would seem much different to me, though I haven't tried it since I lift at a gym. For calf exercises I try to remember to wear hiking boots because the thick sole gives my foot protection.

Regards,
John Jr.

I think a Converse Chuck Taylor All-Star is the perfect kind of shoe to wear to the gym. I don't really like the Chucks as I go through them like they were made out of paper. For the last five years I have been searching for a good quality, all canvas shoe in that vain. Best shoes I ever had where these Reebok classic court style shoes that lasted for years.
Daniel

Re: Weights at home

Postby assilembob » Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:19 am

[quote="Daniel"]My weights at home are also too light, so now I am trying to get out to the gym more.

heh...my weights are not too light. They are still enough for me.

I am not "sick" all the time, but stressed. I have been fighting this nausea and cold thingy for a bit, with the nosebleeds and such, just lots of little things adding up to bigger ones. Kinda stinks...
I went running this morning and should not have. Tomorrow I should get to the gym, but with the way I have been feeling (with the tiredness and such) I will most likely stick around in bed till 6 instead of getting up at 4:30.
Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom, to believe in the good of man.
assilembob

Postby Dianski » Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:17 pm

I kind of go back and forth about wearing shoes. The only difference for me is toe protection. There doesn't seem to be a big stability issue with me. I don't squat more than 135 so the weight isn't exreeme.

I prefer my weights at home to the gym. I haven't been able to find a gym that is clean and acessable. The crowds of people standing around talking and not working out but being in the way of everyting drive me nuts :twisted: . And they are always complaining on how busy they are and how they don't have time to get in shape. I just want to say, well if you didn't stand around for an hour and talk you would have plenty of time :roll: Sorry...got off track there for a bit

But I only have free weights. There are a few disadvantages, but I like the compact nature and with an olympic bar and a few dumbels I have all I need. I did splurge on a squat rack last year and LOVE IT. I can also play all of the annoying music I want!

Diane
Dianski

Postby sensless » Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:38 pm

I find that the type of shoes makes more of a difference if you are using a sumo stance instead of a conventional stance (for deadlifting more than squatting, though it appears true with both exercises). Regular athletic shoes tend to suck for the sumo stance, as your foot can roll off the side of the sole and cause tremendous opportunity for injury. I usually go in my super crappy aquasocks I bought for $3 at Kmart, if I don't have those then I go for my hiking boots as they are much sturdier against the roll off the side that occurs with the athletic shoes.

A gym being used as a pick-up joint annoys me greatly. There used to a guy that I would see at the gym that would wear spandex shorts and a polo shirt (tucked in) to cover his terrible overtanned body every time he came in. I never saw him make any progress, which I think was because he would be there for at least two hours and never perform a single exercise. He would just wander around to equipment to follow whatever particular lady he wanted to pester for that day. Tremendous source of irritation when he'd sit on a bench doing nothing and I needed to use the bench. He was a source of great comedy when he wasn't in the way, so it wasn't all bad.

I am not sure what disadvantages one would have by only using free weights. I think they provide the best workout.

Regards
John Jr.
poop.
sensless

Postby Dianski » Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:03 pm

The biggest disadvantages to using only free weights is that I don't have a lot of really cool toys! I haven't had to buy anything new in forever. My husband told me that he would paint my free weights different colors to make them look like they are more fun.

I did put a Swiss ball on my wish list to buy soon, I have been reading that some core exercises are better on a swiss ball than on a flat surface. Any truth in that?

Diane
Dianski

Postby tylerm » Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:53 pm

[quote="Dianski"]I did put a Swiss ball on my wish list to buy soon, I have been reading that some core exercises are better on a swiss ball than on a flat surface. Any truth in that? Diane

I bought a swiss ball for $8 US at Target.

On a ball you are fighting more planes of motion that if on the ground. Say with crunches on the ground, you are just fighting gravity, on the ball you are also using stabilizer muscles to keep from rolling off to the sides.
tylerm

Postby Frostfire » Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:48 am

I totally second what tylerm says. My swiss ball was only $8 and it came with a pump and a little poster with some exercises on it. Also, they are great for building stablizers and adding a new dimension to freeweight workouts.

Also, and maybe I'm just a bit immature, I think they are a great toy to have around. Sometimes, like when I'm on the phone or watching TV, I'll just sit on mine and bounce up and down, or throw it at my brother :lol: . Hee, hee. Okay, I'm just a big kid sometimes!
http://www.ChingSanctuary.org
Frostfire

Postby ultra_whippet » Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:11 pm

Yeah Swiss balls are great fun :D And there's just millions of exercises that you can do with them, so you'll never get bored.
BOSUs (like a Swiss ball chopped in half) are brilliant too, but stupidly expensive at the moment :(
ultra_whippet

Postby wannalift » Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:30 pm

i wish i would have read this yesterday before i went to target :x
~david
wannalift

Next

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights