Fab Abs

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Fab Abs

Postby Fruitbat » Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:42 pm

In my personal opinion one of the best abs exercises are doing bridges and oblique bridges held for 60s each. Has anyone had success with this? They are great for posture and core strength too. In fact they work the whole body - you can feel it in all your muscles upper and lower body at the end of a good workout if you do bridges then!
Fruitbat

Postby PaHulkster » Sun Sep 05, 2004 3:28 am

Most definitely. I'm a big fan of bridges.
PaHulkster

Postby ultra_whippet » Sun Sep 05, 2004 2:37 pm

Yep. they're brill. A bridge with one leg slightly lifted is good, too.
ultra_whippet

Postby Mary » Sun Sep 05, 2004 10:04 pm

What is an oblique bridge? Is it side plank?

I am doing my biceps and back tomorrow, and plan on doing the bridge. As you know I do weights (soz Pahulkster!) but am discovering that yoga (lots of bodyweight excercises) target my abs and back better than anything else. So I will no doubt be puzzling people in the metal part of the gym for the forseeable, as I am going to be doing bridges, wall walks as part of my back routine.

And again, sorry Pahulkster - although my son can do the upside down pushups, I just land on my head! So bridge, and wall walking for me. At least my bridge is getting better! Still using my head and not my arms though. Will get there!
Mary

Postby Fruitbat » Mon Sep 06, 2004 3:49 pm

yeah i guess side-plank may be another name for them...

by upside down push-ups do you mean handstand push-ups? I remember at gymnastics when we used to do circuit training and one of the drills was a handstand on parallel bars against a wall (one hand each bar) and doing push-ups going as low as possible. Fun but soooo tiring.
Actually the worst ones in my opinion were the pull-up-and-overs on the asym bars - pull-up then using abs bring your legs (straight-legged - up to your face then up in a candle-stick like position so that you could swing around to perch on the bar, then roll forward and down again and repeat... for 3 minutes until time to switch post on the circuit)

Another great favourite with one of my coaches was stadium running up and down the stairs of the viewing area - run, hop, skip, jump, every 1 2 or 3 steps ... for about 15 minutes - then start the serious conditioning stuff!
Fruitbat

Postby assilembob » Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:31 pm

I have trouble with side plank and plank (i am guessing that's what you are calling bridges...a "pushup" like position without the lowering?)
They hurt my wrists.
Anyone have a suggestion. I like them but they hurt.

~Mel
Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom, to believe in the good of man.
assilembob

Postby Fruitbat » Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:47 pm

pushup position but on your fore-arms not your wrists...
Fruitbat

Postby J » Mon Sep 06, 2004 6:53 pm

I never do anything for my midsection. It's already big enough.
J

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights