2004 Mr. Olympia

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

2004 Mr. Olympia

Postby RobertCheeke » Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:37 am

Is anyone attending the 2004 Mr. Olympia contest in Las Vegas October 28-31st?

I will be there with plenty of Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness t-shirts and brochures to pass out. Just checking to see if any others in the Vegan community will be there.

If so, let me know. I may be traveling alone, and my friends will be competing, so I could use someone to pal around with.

Thanks,

Robert
robert@veganbodybuilding.com
Robert Cheeke
"When your actions speak for themselves, don't interrupt."
www.myspace.com/veganbodybuilding
RobertCheeke

Postby JP » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:17 am

i'll move this to the bodybuilding section, perhaps gets more BB peeps seeing it!

Perhaps one day we will have a vegan on the stage as well there ;) Might take a few decades still though!
JP
Site Admin

Postby Mary » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:35 am

Nah, it will just take Hero to keep injury free. :wink:
Mary

Postby J » Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:29 pm

Don't those guys stuff theirselves full of drugs?
J

Postby muscle-militia » Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:50 pm

[quote="emphryio"]Don't those guys stuff theirselves full of drugs?

Yep!! - but they all do so I guess its kinda fair. You get Natural federations (drug free 10 years +) Natural for life and the rest such as IFBB, NABBA do use performance and growth drugs - worst of all Isulin!!
5 pro's dead this year via insulin - WHY RISK IT???
100% Natural - 100% meat free muscle!!
muscle-militia

Postby funfetus » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:24 pm

5 dead this year?!?!?! That's completely insane.

But...what does insulin do? I always thought insulin was a "bad thing" that you wanted to avoid, which caused your body to store fat. Is it effective for bulking, or what?
funfetus

Postby J » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:08 pm

I don't understand how anybody could look up to those dishonest drug users.

I think Weider and his bodybuilders should be in jail for their false advertising. Think how many people try to do the "Insane Intensity Flex workout" or whatever for years never getting anywhere because actually all those guys are pumping themselves up on steriods, growth hormone, insulin and who knows what else.

In my humble opinion, (and no disrespect to Keegan) I think those guys deserve scorn and derision. Not requests for autographs or whatever else. They are the reason so many people don't lift weights and so many who do, do it wrong.
J

Postby muscle-militia » Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:10 am

Insulin is good and bad. Insulin is a storage hormone that regulates growth and fat via the endocrine system, this is linked to hormones such as test, growth hormone etc. This is why ya wanna neck 35g Glucose after you train - the insulin based anabolic hour.

However it is so easy to get Insulin wrong if taken as an addative!! Get it wrong and all oxygen is drawn from your blood, ya brain dies…the rest of ya next!!

Scott Klien slipped into a coma overnight via insulin use…his mom found him dead the next day. Scott was 24 - such a tragic waste.
muscle-militia

Postby RobertCheeke » Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:24 am

Please understand that I don't promote drug use in bodybuilding or in any other form. I respect the bodybuilders for the hard work they have done for decades to build their physique as big as they can possibly get it.

I know bodybuilding drugs are dangerous but there are habits like smoking that will kill more people in one day (globally) than all steriod-related deaths in history. We still look up to our uncles or grandmothers who smoke. We don't always appreciate it or approve of it, but the person is still a person. And with things like smoking or drinking it is worse because you affect other people (second hand smoke and drunk driving/other alcohol related injuries and deaths).

I know a lot of pro bodybuilders and they are great guys. They are extremely hard working and dedicated, more than any other athletes I know.

I don't approve of their drug use, but I also don't approve of my friends' drug use at home, but I'm still friends with them and like them as people.

If you look at all professional sports, drugs are a common topic and problem running through them. We all know about the drugs used by some Olympic athletes, by American baseball players, by cycling teams, by pro wrestlers, runners, and other pro and amateur athletes.

Of course I'd like to see drug use disappear in sports but I don't know if it is going to happen anytime soon.

I doubt many of you have met the IFBB pro bodybuilders, talked to them, and learned about their lives. They are not bad people, they are genuine hard working men and women to are taking their bodies to the next level.

I've been away for the past 10 months but I am curious as to WHO died this year in the world of pro bodybuilding. Perhaps I just missed the news, or perhaps nobody died. Rumors are spread easily. Some guys I hear died, I see a month later in California competing. I don't know of many confirmed deaths directly related to steriod use. I don't approve of it, but I also don't approve of my friends smoking weed, my uncle drinking and my cousin smoking, but I still accept them and admire their good qualities.

Perhaps that is what we should look for in these amazing individuals who put bodybuilding on the map in the first place.

Keegan The Vegan
Robert Cheeke
RobertCheeke

Postby muscle-militia » Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:20 am

Hi Keegan

As you may or may not know - I train IFBB'ers such as Stuart Core (NABBA universe) and Sarah Frost, both use the gear. As I have said, I aint against it as if all are on it in that federation then the playing field is level. However, I would rather it be legal so control is better as is the advice. Too many gym pups go for orals as they believe they are safer - I knew a guy who used 3 Napalon 50's a week!!! - Nap's can cause liver damage in 1 week, 3 a week is sooo stupid. Those aware know injectables are safer.

Steroid alone will not make you huge - there is still the diet, training and rest - but it can help you repair faster hence train more - thus gain more mass. But it does have risks - as does car or horse racing!!

Those who died:
Scott Klein IFBB pro
Cameron Scott NABBA Pro
Sonny Schmidt - masters universe IFBB/NABBA
Tom Hawk, 21 EFBB
Louise Nuttall-Halliwell NABBA - scotlands stongest etc.
And even Joe Gould too I believe.
muscle-militia

Postby RobertCheeke » Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:19 pm

Thanks for the update on who died. I guess I saw that Sonny Schmidt died. Someone mentioned it a while back on my message board. I don't know who the others are. I'm sure you are aware of all the rumors that go on about bodybuilding deaths, so I was curious.

That's cool that you are working with some pros. I'm not sure who those two are, but I'll look up their names on the internet later on.

I'm fully aware of all the risks usng juice and other drugs so of course I stay away from them. I know a lot of huge natural bodybuilders as well.

Take it easy,

Keegan
Robert Cheeke
RobertCheeke

Postby V VII Hero » Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:31 pm

[quote="Mary"]Nah, it will just take Hero to keep injury free. :wink:

hehe. :oops:

one day I will be up on stage, just yous wait. :D :D :D
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Postby muscle-militia » Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:08 pm

Be great to see ya up on stage dude.

Hey Keegan, Stuart and Sarah are UK pro's so not in the big money as you US guys - but stuart has the size to go all the way (won the California) just man, he is sooo lazy!!

You and I both know the agony of the BB game - for many it does seem odd. A fringe sport like ours is picked on for its use of drug as I do believe it is an soft target. But as I explain, people thought the first guy to climb Everest was nuts…didnt stop him though. He pushed the envelope. Size is the prize - at times at any cost.
As you say, and I 100% back you up - wise, informed use of steroid, sensible cycles have proven safe for half a centry now. Abuse, ignorance and hype bring it a poor rap.

It is a matter of choice - I go the natural for life, but I fully respect those who dont.
muscle-militia

Postby sensless » Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:37 pm

I wish that bodybuilding would return its focus back towards size and symmetry instead of the just ripped with size it began moving towards with Yates and has continued since. I think Flex Wheeler back around 1992 looked better than the big boys do today. I was disappointed how he looked later on in the 90's (after his accident) when he decided to try to add more mass, I thought it messed up the symmetry and looked awkward.

I have no interest in using the juice to enhance myself, but if others want to I have no problem with it. I just wish people didn't feel obligated to lie about it. Keep the playing field even and the expectations proper. I would be greatly irritated if I went to a powerlifting meet, passed a random drug test becasue I'm clean, and lost to a lifter that wasn't clean and lied his way through. I imagine the sensation would be the same with BB.

Regards,

John Jr.
poop.
sensless

Postby muscle-militia » Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:49 pm

Hey Sensless - I have to agree with ya there dude. Dexter J is tryin for more size now and that is a shame. I prefer the late 80's to 90's guys…but that might be as I am an old fart!

I have to say tho, the NABBA shows I have done (and not done so well against guys on the gear) I have had better feedback and more respect from the the big guys for doing my own thing - the respect goes both ways.
Also - the federations help BNBF NPBBA have a blood, urine and lie detector test by the IOC for all finalists in each class at every show. So Naturals against Naturals - Roid against Roid - so in BB it is fair.
muscle-militia

Next

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights