The Splits: Push/Pull vs. Body Parts?

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

The Splits: Push/Pull vs. Body Parts?

Postby Daniel » Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:12 pm

I noticed that most of you are doing splits based on body parts (i.e. legs, arms, chest, back, shoulders, abs; or upper and lower body). I've been experimenting with a push/pull split for a couple of months now. I was wondering what the advantages/disadvantages are to the different types of splits? What kind of split do you do, and why? What kind of splits have you stopped doing, and why?

Thank,
Daniel
Daniel

Postby sensless » Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:16 pm

I usually choose mine based off recovery time and length of time required to do a particular exercise/body part. I have no idea if going purely push/pull is better, but I usually recommend that type of workout split to someone that I know won't be going on a consistent basis to ensure a maintenance of some balance.

John Jr.
poop.
sensless

Postby bronco » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:54 am

I've just started a 3-day push-pull-legs split. I've used this split before and found it to be quite nice. I think the biggest advantage is that with this kind of split, the muscles get plenty of time to recover since the "push muscles" (chest, triceps, front delts ) and "pull muscles" ( back, biceps, rear delts) are only exercised once per week. If you instead have for example one chest day and one arm day, triceps would have to work on both of those days, and so would get less time to recover. The same ges for chest/shoulder and back/biceps. However, some people seems to dislike this kind of split beacause they feel it's easier to train triceps if the trics are not tired from chest work etc.
I'm considering moving my exercises around a bit, to get biceps separated from back and triceps separated from chest. Don't know if it will do me any good, but itäs worth a try, I think.
bronco
Site Admin

Postby Mary » Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:43 am

Hi Daniel.

I think Sensless' advice here would be good for you, since you are only able to go twice a week, at the weekend. It might be the best way to maximise gains for yourself. Sensless is one of the best people to ask anyway. (Have you seen his avatar? :shock: ) He has been doing weight training for donkeys years, and seems to have learned a lot about what works for different people.

I do body parts, since I find it easier to remember where I am up to, and I wieght train on a three day split (plus a fourth half way through for cardio and abs). As I know I am going regularly I can stick with this programme easily enough. Only thing I want to change is introduce deadlifts, but that is a story for my log. :lol:
Mary

Postby muscle-militia » Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:55 pm

Sensless wuz spot on!
100% Natural - 100% meat free muscle!!
muscle-militia

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights