Routines for Women

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Routines for Women

Postby Quizeen » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:07 pm

I am hopeful that some of the ladies here can help a sista out. I've been reading the threads about various routines, and I'm a bit concerned that I haven't been ordering things properly. Of course, most of the posters here seem to be "tough guys" :), and as a woman I'm not capable of, nor do I wish to bulk up. I'm more interested in continuing to build strength and tone/cuts. I've been working for about three years, varying types of exercises and weights, but the general break down is:

Lower body (legs and low back)--day 1
Upper body (arms and upper back)--day 2
Lower body (legs and low back, different sets of ex.)--day 3
Upper body (arms and upper back different sets of ex.)--day 4
Cardio on all aforementioned days plus one more, two days off

Is this perhaps limiting or too littlle?
Quizeen

Postby Mary » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:52 pm

Split your arms up. Do biceps one day, triceps the other. And don't worry about bulking up. If you don't go bonkers with protien, and if you keep up your cardio you won't suddenly turn into Arnold. Women don't - we only have ten percent the testosterone that men do, and they have to work bloody hard to bulk up. There is no way that you would accidently over do it and wake up looking like a bloke.

I do the following split

chest and triceps,
back and biceps,
rest day
abs and back again,
legs and shoulders,
cardio as it comes (karate, etc).

If I eat lots of protien (and I do mean lots and lots) then I will gain some muscle, but not manly amounts if you know what I mean. And I am already starting to tone up really nicely. If you carry on eating normal (for you) amounts you shouldn't bulk up. And if you do accidentally bulk up, could you bottle what you've got and send it my way?

I find the arm split has really helped me target them properly by the way - originally I was doing chest and biceps, back and triceps, but this wears the targetted arm muscles out too much, so you don't do the excercises properly.

Do the excercises you most enjoy though, if you want to stick at it. And I am only doing the above once a week. Gives those muscles more time to rest and repair. You don't want to break them down every two three days. Makes you tired and want to eat more.

Hope this helps.
Mary

Postby stateofflux » Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:19 am

When I'm well, I train for strength and I'm not a bulky woman at all. I don't bodybuild so my routines are different to Mary's. I did start off with bodybuilding routines, but they just bore me and they were making me any stronger. I do 5x5 generally and stick to free weights and compound movements. So I do squats, deadlifts and I bench. I do bentover rows, shoulder presses, chins and dips to supplement.

If I trained consistently I think I'd have excellent results, because my strength gains were good for someone who lifts infrequently. Since having RSI I have vowed that when I get well, I will train consistently, I really miss lifting weights and can't understand why I haven't been so consistent in the past- I guess it's a case of you don't realise how good something is until it's gone!

That's my experience as a woman with weights anyway, for what it's worth. Also, I don't train differently as a powerlifting woman, as far as I know male and female powerlifters train in much the same way.
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby Quizeen » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:59 pm

Thanks for the help. I'm aware that as a woman I'm physically incapable of bulking up (I'd actually welcome a little if I could get it :)). I only mentioned it to reassert that I am a woman, and therefore I felt that many of the routines suggested here by the guys were more suited to power and heavy male lifters.

I've often seen routines similar to the one Mary has suggested, but I shied away from them because I was worried that working each group only once per week wouldn't be sufficient.
Quizeen

Postby Mary » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:08 pm

Well, it seems to be working well for me at the moment. I wonder though to what extent that is because I am combining it with yoga, which seems to stretch and work all the muscles in a completely different way to weights. Afterwards my muscles feel warm and relaxed, and I feel as though the increased blood flow and suppleness is really helping me to feed my body - if that makes sense. Certainly the yoga is doing something. Hard to describe what though - it is making me aware of my muscles and body in a new way.

My body is different from some though - I think I am naturally quite strong, and a different kind of body might respond better to a different routine. Rochelle probably didn't like a bbing routine because her body has different needs to mine. (I wouldn't mind her arms though... 8) )
Mary

Postby funfetus » Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:53 pm

[quote="Quizeen"]Thanks for the help. I'm aware that as a woman I'm physically incapable of bulking up (I'd actually welcome a little if I could get it :)). I only mentioned it to reassert that I am a woman, and therefore I felt that many of the routines suggested here by the guys were more suited to power and heavy male lifters..

Don't think that because you're a woman, you're incapable of bulking up at all. You can definitely build up some muscle, you just won't reach man-sized proportions without some serious chemical assistance.
funfetus

Postby Quizeen » Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:57 pm

I've generally split myworkouts into an upper/lower body split with a different set of exercise that target the same muscle groups each time. For example, on one lower body day I'll do leg presses, cobra, hip and thigh and calf sled. On the next lower day it will be seated extension, hamstring curls, standing calf, deadlifts, and hoist. I try to change up some exercises and I always strive to keep the weight up.

I'm getting a little tired of this structure and was interested in pursuing another. But, I was concerned that all of the body building routines suggested here that seem to work each muscle group only once per week would be insufficient. Am I wrong?
Quizeen

Postby sensless » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:43 pm

http://www.stumptuous.com/weights.html

The woman that writes that website seems to be rather thorough and may have some quality tips for you.

Thanks to whomever posted that site in another thread.

John Jr.
poop.
sensless

Postby Mary » Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:47 pm

I like that woman! I wrote to her about my routine, and she wrote back with suggestions and congratulated me on my squat! (though she may take her time to answer.) I asked her to check us out. I do hope she is a lurker...
Mary

Postby Quizeen » Fri Aug 27, 2004 8:08 pm

Actually, I followed JP's link in the "Weightlifting Links" thread to exrx.com, and have figured out a useful 3:1 split for myself. A new cycle is in the works.
Quizeen

Postby funfetus » Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:14 am

[quote="Mary"]I like that woman! I wrote to her about my routine, and she wrote back with suggestions and congratulated me on my squat! (though she may take her time to answer.) I asked her to check us out. I do hope she is a lurker...

I wouldn't count on it -- she's a regular on misc.fitness.weights, which is notoriously anti-vegan.

Actually, just did some google groups searches -- she seems fairly...non...anti-vegan? Certainly not pro, but in one post, she mentioned her "vegan phase" without any smarmy comments...

But yeah, if you wanna get pissed off, try this out:
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=group ... gle+Search
funfetus

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights