How many times?

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Postby sensless » Tue Sep 21, 2004 9:01 pm

I know Arnold isn't well liked by many people on this forum, but he did say something once that stuck with me. I don't remember word for word, but the gist of it is to show off your weaknesses so you are constantly confronted with your weakest points. This should force you to work your weak points so you will no longer be ashamed of them. He said he always hated working his calves and abs so he would often wear shorts and go without a shirt or just have a half-shirt on. I think this is just a long way of saying you should post more pictures so we can enjoy them. Ha!
poop.
sensless

Postby Strix » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:31 am

Ugh, did you have to bring up him? :P

I'm weird about posting my pic on the internet :D I don't mind sharing it by email with people though, (quid pro quo, of course :mrgreen: ).

Which reminds me of two things: One, where is your WIP? (sensless)

Two, why don't we have a photo album? Does it cost more?

Anyway, last week I was able to hold myself up on the bar -- I guess that's static hold? -- for a count of 30, five times! But I tried it this week and I sank like one of Prenna's sand bags :).
"The hand that signed the paper felled a city;
Five sovereign fingers taxed the breath,
Doubled the globe of dead and halved a country;
These five kings did a king to death."
-Dylan Thomas
Strix

Postby Frostfire » Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:52 am

[quote="Strix"]You're one of my inspirations! As I struggle with my pullups, I think of your arms :D.

My arms? I can barely do one, maybe two pull-ups :D . I think there are better example of strong women pull-upers on this board than me (ahem, Mary, cough cough) :D .

[quote="Strix"]Weird too, since it's with palms out! I thought palms facing me would be easier, but they are actually harder: but, I really haven't been working on those; mostly, I've been doing the palms outward.

The palm's out is a little different, but nothing wrong with it :D . Just means you'll be stronger and better at pull-ups in the end.

[quote="Strix"]All you balance ballers, I'm ordering mine today! :)
Not sure if I should get a video with it -- wha' cha think?

Yay! Swiss/Exercise balls are the best! I'm a bit biased against videos because I never do them and they just collect dust, so don't take what I have to say TOO seriously. I get much more out of posters, pamphlets or print outs of exercises rather than a video. Then I can go at my own pace and don't have to wait for the tape, or I can jump around. Could just be me though. Maybe just take JO's advice there ;) . Pretty soon you can be like Skinny Wippet and be able to balance standing on one :shock: :D .

[quote="Strix"]Anyway, last week I was able to hold myself up on the bar -- I guess that's static hold? -- for a count of 30, five times! But I tried it this week and I sank like one of Prenna's sand bags .

:lol: :D Excellent! Those make my arms hurt! Don't worry about the falling thing, happens sometimes, hopefully will be better next week as your arms get used to the load.
http://www.ChingSanctuary.org
Frostfire

Postby JP » Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:46 am

[quote="Strix"]
Two, why don't we have a photo album? Does it cost more?

well, it would use more bandwidth, so i guess so, but never mind! There will be a photo album in the portal we are about to install (more on that later when we get it working!).
JP
Site Admin

Postby sensless » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:57 pm

[quote]Which reminds me of two things: One, where is your WIP? (sensless)

I'll make that after the powerlifting meet in October. I figure I can use some pictures from that event for it.

regards,

John Jr.
poop.
sensless

Postby JO » Wed Sep 22, 2004 1:59 pm

Other brands -- I don't know where Gaiiam does its mfr'g that I saw at the gym this a.m. (and they are a lot more durable than the Gaiiam/Living Arts product)

Dura-Ball Pro (mfr Australia)
Resist-a-Ball (mfr Italy) 800 926-6225

Also, Skinny Whippet's got some good stuff utilizing the ball for working the core in her log, and check out the Holistic Forum, there are at least two threads with swiss/stability/fit/balance ball exercises.
Kinetic-corporeal joy is known to ALL creatures.
JO

Postby stateofflux » Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:45 pm

I use a Ledraplastic Gymnic ball. Tough as nails and it smells like vanilla. I use a Reebok (it was a gift- I'd never buy their stuff) fitball as a chair at work. It's definitely inferior and is wearing down quickly (that's also because my colleagues kick it and play fitball football with it sometimes :D )

I chose Gymnic after alot of research and got a good deal. The Ledraplastic material (Italian made) balls are the ones generally used in gyms here in the UK, because they are burst proof to something like 500kg
and take alot of abuse.

http://www.gymnic.com/ Don't think they supply the US
stateofflux
Site Admin

Postby Strix » Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:15 pm

Thanks, crystal, I'm the same way about videos. But I'm trying to change. I have to start doing new/different things now. And I want to cut back on my running, mostly because for the past few years I've had to run on concrete whereas I was running on sand previously :? .
By the way, your last update said you were working on splits -- can you do them now? I can *almost* do them without any practice. That's just luck though! My mom is super flexible, it's weird and my sister can kick and hit her forehead :shock:

Looking forward to that sensless!

Rochelle, too bad that's not available here. You know it's so hit and miss with internet ordering! I hate getting cheap crap, especially when paying good money for items. It's happened to me a couple times. I'm willing to pay for a good product; just don't send me crap!! I don't like Reebok either; nor Nike.
I've been considering getting one of those BALL CHAIRS for at home! You can remove it and use it for exercise. Funny, though, because right away I thought just what you said -- that it may be inferior because of its dual use. Usually stuff like that is.

JO, thanks a heap for that 800 number! I'll give them a ring today. So the Gaiam balls looks cheap? I'll be sure to check out the threads because I don't know how to use them.

Thanks again! :)
-Dylan Thomas
Strix

Postby JO » Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:22 pm

No, the gaiam ball IS cheap. If you steadily pressed on one with a butter knife you could probably puncture it, but the other ones would require something sharper (or someone > 1000 lbs).
JO

Postby Strix » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:24 pm

JO, went to the site of the resist-a-ball reference and they have several to choose. The Gaiam catalog, says one should get a specific size for height -- did any of you ball users specify size when purchasing yours? I guess, according to Gaiam's estimations, I should get a ball 22"/55cm. Is that really important?

Here is that site: SPRI, RESIST-A-BALL

Oh, well, just type in "resist-a-ball" to the search field and several come up.

Ugh, I went to the other reference and they have a sizing chart: DURABALL PRO
More confusing! Or is it obvious and I'm just being dense here??
-Dylan Thomas
Strix

Postby JO » Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:49 pm

I use the 65 cm one (as recommended) because I'm around 5'7". The 55 cm should be fine for you -- you're shorter; right?
JO

Postby Mary » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:30 pm

Wow! Rochelle! I am really pleased with the link to fitness balls. Some of that stuff might be helpful to Neil, particularly the wedge "cushions" and the more stable "double ball." As the pain subsides he might actually be able to excercise on one of those. Can't wait to show him! I agree with you that the Reebok is an inferior ball to the ones in the gym. You say these balls are of the same quality? That would be cool.
Mary

Previous

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights