Squatting with Dumbbells

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Squatting with Dumbbells

Postby Daniel » Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:56 pm

I was wondering if it makes a difference when squatting with dumbbells if you hold them down to your side or clean them to shoulders?

Right now I bring them up to my shoulders, but my dumbbells only go up to 45 pounds. Once I up-grade my dumbbells I doubt I'll be able to clean them as easily. Will I still get the same workout holding them to my side?
Daniel

Postby funfetus » Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:11 pm

Holding them at your sides will probably make the movement more similar to a deadlift, so it will probably shift the emphasis a bit off your quads and toward your lower back. Still a worthwhile exercise, though. I'd actually be more concerned about being able to hold enough weight in my hands. You can build up to some huge weights with squats.
funfetus

Postby JP » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:50 am

you could also hold them behind you, like a dumbell hack squat. That makes squatting so much harder that smaller weights will go far.

Myrddin did one legged squats when he ran out of weights, again, you don't need much with them!

any way it feels hard, awkward and makes you work hard is good :)
JP
Site Admin

Postby JO » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:23 pm

yeah, one legged squats on a slightly unstable surface like a 3" dense foam pad or one of those near half fit-balls. can start with a shallower squat.
Kinetic-corporeal joy is known to ALL creatures.
JO

Postby Myrddin » Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:12 pm

Like JP said you can do one legged squats with a barbell or dumbbells - elevate one of your legs on a chair or stable surface behind you (bent)- they are called "bulgarian squats". By training each leg individually you don't need many weights. But don't make the mistake I did: one day after doing my bulgarian squats (with my bulgarian squats I did 100+ kgs each leg for reps) I decided to give normal squats a go. I loaded the bar to over 150kgs (and I had to use some olympic weights on my standard sized barbell to be able to get it to 150kgs - which wasn't safe in itself) and knowing that my legs were strong enough I gave it a go. I managed to do a rep relatively easily in the leg department but my back didn't like it. My legs were strong enough from the bulgarian squats but my back wasn't used to squatting 150kgs or indeed squatting at all. Where bulgarian squats isolate each leg they also spread the weight evenly over my back - my back was used to lifting 100+ kgs but not 150kgs. Given that it was the first time I did a proper squat my form was terrible..hence a back injury that took about 6 months to recover and set my training back. Now my back is 100% and I am slowly getting back to where I was before. The moral of the story is don't take risks with your back! I think bulgarian squats are great - fantastic for leg strength - but I'd recommend getting a barbell to do deadlifts as well - for the back.
Lunges are a good leg exercise too because you don't need as much weight on the bar (as you would to get the same leg workout with squats).

Adam
"Morality dictates that I live Vegan"
Earth Crisis
Myrddin

Postby Daniel » Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:32 am

Thanks, folks. I've been meaning to start doing sinlge legged squats anyway. I'll try holding them behind me and see how that works. Thanks for suggesting it, JP.

I still need to get heavier weights tho. 50% of my lifts are not improving because my dumbbells only go to 45 pounds. The next set is 50-85 pounds and I hope it wont be long before I move to the 95-125 pound set. :)
Daniel

Postby JP » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:24 am

hey mate, might want to consider buying a dumbell handle + olympic weights. That way you could use same plates with a barbell as well and sky would be the limit with weights :)
JP
Site Admin

Postby sensless » Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:46 pm

If you are going to buy a dumbell bar, you may as well get a thick handled one to get some nice grip work in while working the other muscles. Strong hands are essential to strength training. Veganessentials can probably recommend some good types of bars like this to check out (as many others probably can as well).

Two cents,
John Jr.
poop.
sensless

BANG ON!!

Postby muscle-militia » Wed Aug 25, 2004 7:08 pm

[quote="JP"]you could also hold them behind you, like a dumbell hack squat. That makes squatting so much harder that smaller weights will go far.

Myrddin did one legged squats when he ran out of weights, again, you don't need much with them!

any way it feels hard, awkward and makes you work hard is good :)

JP is on the money!!

Platz built his monster quads this way - as it is a 'nasty modified standing' make sure you have a support like the back of a chair! If weight is the issue try long lunges too.
100% Natural - 100% meat free muscle!!
muscle-militia

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights