Please help...I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, bronco, fredrikw, JP, Rochellita

Please help...I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing

Postby Yozzer » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:12 am

Hi guys.

I've been reasonably fit for a number of years but I'm beginning to think this is some bizzare accident as I've finally realised I don't actually know what I'm doing with weights/exercise regimes. I'd be really grateful if someone could help me out with suggestions for a regime/advice on reps etc.

I've played football weekly to a decent level since I was a kid (I'm now 28) and I boxed for about 18 months 8 years ago. I carried on with bits of the boxing training but nothing major. That's probably the reason I've never been terribly out of shape. I'm 5'10" and about 11.5 Stone.

I've now got back into training (krava maga for 1.5 hours per week and Jeet Kune Do for 2 hours).

Although I'm seeing an improvement in my body shape and general fitness, I also have a number of pieces of exercise equipment I've accumulated over the years that could assist me in improving my frame. The big "But" is that I don't really know how to use them to achieve the best results and I'm afraid that what I'm doing isn't really helping as much as it could.

Ideally I'm after tone and development as well as to develop speed and endurance. I'm not really fussed about bulking up, although I realise that will probably be a by-product eventually.

In terms of diet, it's pretty good. Veggie rather than vegan but phasing towards vegan. No major sugars and I'm easy getting my 5 or more a day.

The equipment I have available to me is:

Exercise Bike
Rowing Machine
Punch-man
Skipping rope
York G500 multi gym (http://www.amazon.co.uk/York-G500-Multi ... B001HK1ULK)
Free weights up to 20kg
Sit-up bar

I do a little bit of something every day at the moment. 30 minutes daily is an easy commitment for me.

What regime would you recommend for a good starting point utilising all this equipment? I appreciate this is a big question so thanks in advance for answers.
Yozzer

Re: Please help...I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing

Postby baldy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:48 am

Yozzer wrote:I've now got back into training (krava maga for 1.5 hours per week and Jeet Kune Do for 2 hours).

Ideally I'm after tone and development as well as to develop speed and endurance. I'm not really fussed about bulking up, although I realise that will probably be a by-product eventually..

Hey Yozzer, welcome to VF. I hope we can encourage you to make the transition to being vegan quickly :)

You are already doing some decent training that you mention. AFAIK they do some conditioning in Krava Maga?

To be honest your goals (IMHO) aren't specific enough to give you good advice. Much better to get a goal you want to work towards. Then its easy to advice you want to do to get there. Getting toned/looking developed probably want have much impact on anything other than how good you looked naked, unless your weight is impacting the sports you do.

To look more toned you generally just have to get a lower bodyfat, which is boring and involves dieting. TONED is actually a bit of a naughty word on VF, because of its sillyness. :twisted:
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Postby Yozzer » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:05 pm

Thanks Baldy, I appreciate the response.

Yeah, there's some conditioning in Krav.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in decent shape and my weight/build isn't impacting on my ability to train or take part in things.

That said, I just want to be a lot fitter, stronger and faster than I am currently.

For example, I might pick up a dumbell and do two sets of ten, but I'm not sure why I'm doing two sets of ten. It's just a number that popped into my head one day. I've read elsewhere that 5x5s is a good system for conditioning and development, but again, I wouldn't know why.

I've seen the other post listing all the training regimes and no doubt it'd be a good place to start, but without knowing why I'm looking at the different regimes, or what they're good for, there's little point. I suppose this comes back to you saying I need a goal and then someone being kind enough to face me in the direction of the goal. I appreciate only I can kick the ball.

Avoiding the silly word toned (;-)), I want to be as fit as I can be, within the limitations of the time I have to train. I want my fitness/weight training to complement my fighting styles. I'm not thinking of doing MMA but I do want to be fit enough to do MMA if the mood takes me (having to retrain in other more effective MMA styles aside - that's a different conversation!). I want explosive power and quick hand speed.

In terms of fat loss, that's happening as it is. Little excess on the hips that I'd like to shake off but I'm hopeful that'll go soon anyway. My diet isn't one that is really working against me. I could do with speeding up that loss though.

I suppose with those goals in mind, and the time I have to train (about 30 mins a day besides the classes I'm attending), I'm after guidance as to how to use that time most efficiently using the equipment I have.

Does that make my goals any clearer for you?

Thanks again.
Yozzer

Postby baldy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:34 pm

Have you spoke to your Krava Maga instructor about extra training. First prize might be if they can suggest something. That is if you enjoy that type of training enough to do it more often.

To be honest 20kg free weights are not really heavy enough to get you much stronger. Ideally you would need a barbell and about your own bodyweight worth of plates to start a 5x5 type routine.

If I was you I would look for a MMA style bodyweight training routine that can do. Pushups, pullups skipping etc... it sounds fun :)

You might be interesting in the hoffmeister training log -> viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15587 he does MA stuff and weight lifting.
"A wise man once said, "It's easier to buy smaller clothes, than to put on 5kg." ... Buzz
baldy
Site Admin

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights