Overtraining...

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Overtraining...

Postby Strix » Mon Aug 16, 2004 10:27 pm

I think this is the right forum to place this...

I got this in my e-mailbox, and, since I have overtrained, I thought it may be helpful for others to read these signs:

"To Guarantee Gains, Avoid Overtraining at All Costs

Short of not training at all, the quickest way to derail the gains you're making in the gym is by blindly falling into the overtraining trap. I see this time and time again by beginning trainers as well as those that are more experienced and should know better.

No matter how many times you say it-and no matter how many studies prove it-when it comes to muscle growth, more training is definitely NOT better training.

In general, overtraining will occur when you train your body beyond its ability to recover through either frequency or duration.
In other words, if you train too often (every day) or too long (for over about 60 minutes) you'll likely enter into a point of diminishing returns.

Your body will not be able to fully recover from your workouts; adaptation and recuperation will not take place. In short, you simply won't grow!

While everyone's training thresholds are slightly different, there are a few tell-tale signs that you're suffering from overtraining.

The first and most simple sign of overtraining is that you've hit a plateau where gains are no longer being made.

Some of the more subtle signs of overtraining include an elevated resting pulse rate, frequent muscle spasms or twitches while resting, increased susceptibility to getting sick and more often and for longer periods of time (weakened immune system), fatigue and general lack of energy, difficulty sleeping, loss of appetite, and unwanted weight loss.

The way to beat overtraining is to simply cut back on your time in the gym. Train less frequently (say 3 times per week) for shorter durations (45-60 minutes at the most), perform fewer overall sets, get your rest, and you'll very likely find yourself making good gains again. Remember, when it comes to training quality is always more important than quantity."
"The hand that signed the paper felled a city;
Five sovereign fingers taxed the breath,
Doubled the globe of dead and halved a country;
These five kings did a king to death."
-Dylan Thomas
Strix

Postby J » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:54 am

I think the curve of strength improvement versus training volume*intensity is probably a gradual incline followed by a steep decline. Thus bests to err towards undertaining than overtraining.
J

Postby V VII Hero » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:47 am

I used to overtrain a lot. I've cut back and changed my techniques and now I am growing rapidly.
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Postby Mary » Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:09 am

Hi there. Important topic. I am tempted to overtrain, as I enjoy the gym so much. However Neilly is keeping an eye on me. :P

I like the lyric you have as your new signature Hero. Where is it from?
Mary

Postby muscle-militia » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:31 am

Yep - overtraining is a killer problem. I tend to tell my guys to train a body part once a week. If into bodybuilding, your aim is hypertrophy - this causes a lot of stress on tissue - you only ge bigger when you rest.

Worse still, a fact that post didnt tell you is, if you over train you will pump out the stres hormone cortisol. This nasty actually is to prevent further damage and breaks muscle down in to amino acid to convert to ATP fuel (blood sugar) - this is the worst thing that can happen as you are in effect getting smaller. Real nasty for us meat free'ers!!

Many of the stuff in mags are written by/for guys on the gear. One of my guys Stuart Core (ex Mr. Universe & Mr. California) repairs soo quick thro thegear that I have to develop totally differnt programmes for him to us natural dudes
100% Natural - 100% meat free muscle!!
muscle-militia

Postby Strix » Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:22 pm

[quote="muscle-militia"]...Worse still, a fact that post didnt tell you is, if you over train you will pump out the stres hormone cortisol. This nasty actually is to prevent further damage and breaks muscle down in to amino acid to convert to ATP fuel (blood sugar) - this is the worst thing that can happen as you are in effect getting smaller. Real nasty for us meat free'ers!!

...Many of the stuff in mags are written by/for guys on the gear.

Yes, I knew that muscle atrophy occurred from overtraining but I didn't know the exact reason! I figured it was just because of constantly breaking it down/ripping it, it can't grow. I didn't know about aminos, converting to ATP, cortisol, and all that :D.

And, yes, a lot of the stuff is geared toward men, which, well, sucks if your a woman like me :); but also for natural and vegan athletes, I agree. Sometimes I have to remind myself of that when reading "facts" about nutrition as well as workout info.

"On the gear" -- I'm assuming that is some sort of gym-speak? :). I'm guessing it means omni athletes??

By the way, welcome to the board, muscle militia!
-Dylan Thomas
Strix

Postby JP » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:18 pm

[quote="Strix"]"On the gear" -- I'm assuming that is some sort of gym-speak? :)

gear = steroids.

[quote]
By the way, welcome to the board, muscle militia!

I second that! Write a message to the new member intros mate so we get a chance to have a good interrogation about the comps your done and your long experience ;)
JP
Site Admin

Postby Strix » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:13 pm

thanks, JP :)
-Dylan Thomas
Strix

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights