Leg Exercises for the Clueless

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

Leg Exercises for the Clueless

Postby Quizeen » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:57 pm

I generally use free weights as much as possible, but when it comes to legs I'm a bit clueless and usually stick with machines (leg press, extensions, hamstring curl, hoist, and seated/standing calf). Can anyone help a sista out with some info and good leg exercises using free weights, etc.? I'd appreciate any help.

BTW, I'm sure squats will be suggested, and as much as I'd like to do them, I'm a bit intimidated. Not by their intensity, but by the fact that I want to do them correctly, and I am afraid that I'll mess myself up. I don't really have access to a trainer.
Quizeen

Postby sensless » Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:14 pm

I will mention squats. It must be done as they are the best exercise to do. I think you will probably want to use a shoulder width stance to perform them. As far as the correct form, Ryan (veganessentials) and I are going to make a couple videos this week on how to perform certain exercises, since it is such a frequent question, when we work out this week. We can post them up here when they are ready to help you out.

Another good exercise for the legs (hamstrings and arse) is a stiff legged deadlift. Helps tighten up the lower bum area and complements the squat quite well.

If your body responds well to doing more than just two exercises, you can also do some simple leg curls and leg extensions on the machines.

For calves I have had the best results performing them using a hip sled machine.

I hope this helps,

John Jr.
poop.
sensless

Postby Quizeen » Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:43 pm

I appreciate the help and I surely do look forward to the videos. A visual will be extremely helpful.

As far as the deadlifts go, is it better to use a wide or a narrow grip? Or does it matter?
Quizeen

Postby V VII Hero » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:48 pm

what is a hip sled machine?
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Hip Sled

Postby VeganEssentials » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:01 pm

Hero,

Hip Sled is just another term for an angled leg press. Same thing, just a different name!

Ryan
VeganEssentials

Postby JP » Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:48 am

[quote="Quizeen"]As far as the deadlifts go, is it better to use a wide or a narrow grip? Or does it matter?

in regular deadlifting use a grip where your arms are straight down, like when they are in a relaxed position. This means that you have to have your feet placed slightly narrower than shoulder width so your arms can grab the bar without your legs being in the way.
JP
Site Admin

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights