hang cleans

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

hang cleans

Postby wannalift » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:55 pm

wow, these are the real thing. its 2 days past and i still feel born again. haven't worked over my traps this hard since my first set of farmers walks. started at 95 expecting to move up to 105-115, but that wasn't the case. ended up doing 5x5 at 95. didn't get the technique down until the 4th set, but it didn't matter. i'll never do another upward/upright row.
questions: how much should i limit my momentum? had to dip down with my legs on the last rep or two of the 5. should i not be doing this. also, what about momentum on the initial pull? i know i could give myself a little boost if i want to, how should i treat this. thanks again everyone for opening my eyes to another brutally effective exercise.
~david
wannalift

Postby tylerm » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:41 pm

David, I started doing these two weeks ago, I agree, they are great and hit my whole body pretty hard. I have only done 3x8 at 65lbs, and the last couple reps on the last set, I also had to give a little boost by bending at the knees to get it above my head. I know I can up the weight pretty fast though, I will be doing those in my workout tomorrow, and hope to do 3x8 at 75lbs, and upward from there in weeks to come...

I did deadlifts yesterday for the first time, starting with 100lbs and doing my last 2 sets of 140lbs, and man, my traps are sore as all hell. actually, my whole back is sore as hell, I also did a few chinups with the emphasis on the negative, cable pulldowns and low cable rows. It was alot of fun. I hope to up my deadweight lift pretty fast as well, I didn't want to burn myself out yesterday though, I cut my last set short as I started rounding my back a bit.
tylerm

Postby sensless » Mon Aug 16, 2004 6:20 pm

Woohoo! I'm glad to see some people agree with me about the fantastic job hang cleans, powercleans etc. can do for you. It is perfectly acceptable to use your legs as part of the movement. Actually I recommend it. I find that hang cleans, in particular, are the best upper body exercise. I would rank them up there with the squat as best single exercise to perform. The exercise is supposed to be very explosive, so try to make the movement a quick one.

Ryan is going to try to bring his camera along to video tape us performing some of these exercises this week, so hopefully that can help answer any form questions some of you may have.

Regards,

John Jr.
poop.
sensless

Postby tylerm » Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:53 pm

My triceps were worked over after doing hang cleens. They are a week area of mine, though I can now do bodyweight dips, which I hadn't been able to as early as a couple weeks ago.
tylerm

Postby billyoffspring » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:09 pm

Stupid question but what are hang cleans and power cleans?
billyoffspring

Postby wannalift » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:16 pm

don't feel stupid, i had the same question myself. and someone correct me if i'm wrong. power cleans are the first half of the clean and jerk. the bar starts on the floor and you pull it up to your chest and flip your arms under the bar and rest it on your shoulders. drop the weight to your waist, then floor, and repeat. hang cleans only does the second part of the power clean. the bar rests at your waist as if you had just completed a deadlift. pull it up with your elbows out as if you were doing an upward/upright row. instead of completing the movement to your chin, flip under the bar at your upper chest and rest it on your front shoulders. drop the weight to your waist and repeat. the hang cleans are the way to go. they will obliderate your upper back and you'll feel it for days afterwards.
~david
wannalift

Postby wannalift » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:17 pm

[quote="tylerm"]My triceps were worked over after doing hang cleens. They are a week area of mine, though I can now do bodyweight dips, which I hadn't been able to as early as a couple weeks ago.

were you doing the overhead press after the top of the clean? can't think of any other reason your triceps would be sore.
~david
wannalift

Postby billyoffspring » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:40 pm

David:

So, when you pull the weight up, do you put the bar behind your head as well and rest on your shoulders there? I'm confused as to whether you put the bar in front or behind your head.
billyoffspring

Postby tylerm » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:31 pm

David, yes, I did hang cleans and pressed them as well. Hence the sore triceps, forgot to mentin the presses. Without pressing the barbell as well, I bet I could add a bunch of weight on, but I enjoy the presses.

Billyoffspring:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Oly ... Clean.html

There is a hang clean, though I don't havn't been bending my legs for the leverage except toward the last couple reps, and don't dip as much as it comes up to my chest. That is probably also because I am doing half the weight the guy in the example is though. But this should give you the idea.
tylerm

Postby tylerm » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:33 pm

[quote="tylerm"]My triceps were worked over after doing hang cleens. They are a week area of mine, though I can now do bodyweight dips, which I hadn't been able to as early as a couple weeks ago.

Damn, I look like I don't know how to spell. I keep spelling "clean" as "cleen" because that is a friend of mine in Chicago, his name is Cleen. And I spelled weak as week. oops.
tylerm

Postby Mary » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:33 pm

[quote="sensless"]
Ryan is going to try to bring his camera along to video tape us performing some of these exercises this week, so hopefully that can help answer any form questions some of you may have.

Look forward to seeing it. Then I might be able to incorporate it in my routine... Still finding my feet.
Mary

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights