deadlifts

Lifting weights whether for bodybuilding, toning, or just for general fitness.

Moderators: hardcore iv, fredrikw, JP, stateofflux, bronco

deadlifts

Postby V VII Hero » Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:38 pm

what are the pros and cons of dead lifts? and how do you execute them properly?
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Pro's and Con's of deadlifting.

Postby sensless » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:21 pm

I don't know any negatives of performing the deadlift.

Deadlifts are the best way to build lower back strength. They also deliver a mild workout to your traps and abs during the initial pull of the weight, while giving your grip strength a solid starting point (don't use straps). Hamstrings and arse also receive a fair amount of work, not as solid as a nice deep squat but still decent.

I think that deadlift is one of the easiest lifts to perform. There are two commonly used stances; sumo and conventional, both types having advantages. Sumo stance is placing your feet as wide apart as you can comfortably stand, I use this method standing with my feet at approximately twice my shoulder width apart. The advantage of the sumo stance is that leg power is recruited equally to the lower back (in my opinion) plus you have a slightly short distance to travel. You will find most smaller powerlifters using this stance. The conventional stance is standing with your feet approximately shoulder width apart. This makes the lift a greater distance and forces most of the work to be done by your lower back. I would recommend starting with a conventional stance to really thicken your back up and get your hand strength increased, and after a period of time (3 months) I think you should give the sumo stance a try, but still throw in a conventional form set here and there. Now that your stance is set, simply grab the bar off of the floor with your hands about shoulder width apart using an opposite grip (one overhand, one underhand), sink your arse down like you are going to squat, then pull up with all your might. The top point of the lift is when you are standing straight with your hips pushed slightly forward. Set down and repeat. I would recommend not using straps, wraps, or a belt for this (or any) exercise. These items will only interfere with your development and become a crutch.

This lift becomes very entertaining to perform after a period of time because of its simplicity and the poundages one becomes capable of 'pulling'. I enjoy going to the gym and noticing people stop their silly bench pressing to see me pick 475 pounds off the ground repeatedly.

Hope this helps,

John Jr.
poop.
sensless

Postby tylerm » Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:58 pm

I am new to deadlifting, and one thing I found helps is to use the same form as for squatting, you are just holding the bar in front of you instead of on your back. The day after I first deadlifted, which was about a month ago, my lower back was totally spent, I was surprised because I only did 3 sets of 8 with a light 65 lb barbell to practice the technique. I found that my lower back is quickly gaining strength now.
tylerm

Postby V VII Hero » Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:34 pm

wow that really helped. thanks! I cant wait to try em!
From Texas to Alaska, exploring the world.
V VII Hero

Postby Quizeen » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:41 pm

Wow, I started to incorporate deadlifts into my lower body work and sheez Louise they are indeed very useful.

I have found that the conventional stance works well. Thanks for the very useful info.
Quizeen

Postby i live in omaha » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:37 pm

deadlifts are great for lower back, yup.

I used to have horrible lower back problems which i thought was skeletal. AFter working my back out doing deadlifts and some hyperextensions for a few months i started noticing that my lower back was considerably stronger AND i never had back pain anymore. I guess my back muslces were just too weak and normal activities like slouching on the couch would hurt my back.
"No More just looking out for myself when the price paid is the life of something else.
No More, i won't participate." - Youth of Today
-- hello, my name is david --
i live in omaha

Return to Bodybuilding and Training with Weights